Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Scunthorpe: The verdict

(or at least from me before I go back to the pub)

I can't get pissed off with today's result. The Palace score pisses me off more. Today was always going to be a difficult match. At least we now know where we need to improve - in our marking, and we need to be sharper up front.

Thought Marcus Bent had a fine match, actually - he seemed to be more mature and was livelier than the lazy sulk we had last season. Really liked Moutaouakil too.

But we will improve, while Scunthorpe will always be a team of time-wasting hoof merchants. There might be a sticky few matches ahead, but I reckon we've got a handy side for this season.

Comments

• Options
    Well said. Was kind of expecting something like this today.

Plusses for me were Moo2, Lloyd-Sam (first half) and Bent (looked much better at this level).

We played some nice football and looked a class above Scunthorpe I thought. Just no cutting edge and not taking of chances. Hopefully this will change when Varney is back as I feel he will be our first choice forward.

I am worried about us defensively though. Bougherra looked far too laid back I thought and we looked vulnerable from set pieces.
  • Options
    I'm not gonna worry one little bit!! Thought we played well but had a crap so called midfielder in Ambrose on the pitch which cost us, cant wait to have Zheng back!!! Every credit to Marcus Bent for his effort and goal, thought Todorov was poor and McLeod has to start next week! Moutaoukil looked class and i was more worried about McCarthy than Boogy. One moment of stupidness in seeing the defence fall asleep gave them the goal but we have got to gel and that will take time, bring on the Stoke!!!

p.s the palace result has really pissed me off!!!! if jordan tries to take the mick, then lets wait for September 1st and see whos laughing!!!
  • Options
    We Look good going forward but only moo2 looked any good. How did we not win that game.
  • Options
    Didn't think much of Andy Reid today either. The palace fan at work is going to have a field day, but I'm still positive.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ns_eb_rj_s?[/cite]We Look good going forward but only moo2 looked any good. How did we not win that game.
    might have looked good going forward but there is a difference between looking good and actually being good. Like actually putting the ball in the net. If we don't get 3 points against a sh*t sheff weds then we can forget about promotion.
  • Options
    McCarthy looks pretty volatile. I can see a few bookings coming his way.
  • Options
    the drew with scunthorpe,really not much to debate really.
  • Options
    Give them time, no-one was awful, we still played fairly well and just failed to convert, but we need to remember the fact that we made the chances and looked dangerous going forward imo.Ambrose really needs to step up and be counted, its very easy to forget hes on the pitch. Yassin was very good, and people should watch the stick they give Todorov, his work in the build up was sublime.
  • Options
    Bad points:

Needed to create more chances, too many crosses not finding their way to the target. Worrying that the central midfield had trouble against a newly promoted team.

Reid seems to want to move into the middle instead of playing wide. McCarthy seemed to be caught for pace a couple of times

Toderov didn't seem to get into the game.

Good points:

Moo2 looks great and seems to work well with Sam.

Bent looked good, needs to form a partnership.

McLeod and Owleumo look like they were up for it as soom as they came on.

Overall a disapointing result . I think most of us would have expected us to beat a team playing two divisions below us last season. Two points lost
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    [cite]Posted By: Charlie Block[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: ns_eb_rj_s?[/cite]
    If we don't get 3 points against a sh*t sheff weds then we can forget about promotion.

Knock it on the head, Charlie ...... how can you jump to that conclusion already?

We should have had a cricket score today with the chances created - so we didn't take them.

If we've got a brand new team showing lots of flair and enthusiasm - then give them a little time to integrate.

Once we get going, we're going to scare the living daylights out of a lot of teams.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    who nos whats gonna happen ,all i no is they drew with scunthorpe,not very good really is it?
  • Options
    Know, the word is Know... with a K. Give me strength...

[;)]
  • Options
    Many more positives than negatives today I think.

I agree 100% with Oggy on this one.

And how Charlie can come to that conclusion after one game is beyond me.

So many new players who have to learn to gel together. I'd be happy with play off's this season, pushing for top two. Has there been a bigger period of transition with so many players coming and going?! Have faith in Pards. Let's get Zheng and Varney into the mix along with a few others and judge it then.

In the mean time, we are two points off the top of the league. I'll take that even if we should have murdered Scunny.
  • Options
    shut up you mug,correct someone else .
  • Options
    Oggy is right on this one. I wasn't there but we must give the team time to gel, but I hope it doesn't take us too long. Let's give it a few games and then we really can make a reasoned judgement.
  • Options
    It's been a while that a team have come to The Valley in a league match and have been more than happy to settle for a point from the start. I'm sure they won't be the last, so the onus is going to be on us to break the opposition down.

It would be worrying if we hadn't had most of the possession or failed to create any chances - as it was, we played some good stuff at times and with a bit more luck (Reid's free kick hitting the bar etc) we'd be off to a good start.

On the negative side, the final ball into the box invariably seemed to hit the first or second defender, and the centre back pairing is a cause for concern. McCarthy reminded me of Phil Chapple, and that's not necessarily a good thing.

Finally, you could tell we're in the Championship - the building supplies company on the Woolwich Rd can afford to advertise on the pitchside electronic hoarding, and we don't seem to be able to afford to run the clock on the big screen!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AllLeftFoot[/cite]............ and we don't seem to be able to afford to run the clock on the big screen!

The clock will return, trust me. Just a few technical snags to iron out, but it will return!
  • Options
    I was disappointed the pretty boys didn't stand up to be counted.Where was Thomas
  • Options
    Injured. None of the so called promotion favourites have got off to a flyer - Sheff Utd drew, Wolves lost to Watford, West Brom lost, Leicester lost. Give the team a chance to gel and let's see where we are after one month, not one game. Seems like a lot of positives to come out from today.
  • Options
    i was pleased overall today...with a little more luck we could have easily scored plenty. also we have zheng, thomas and varney (and maybe this racon if hes meant to be shithot) to come in, and i firmly believe these will be players that start regularly. only thing i was worried about was the centre backs...but it takes time to gel. also....the other 'big boys' in the league all had shite starts bar watford.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Moutakil and Lloyd Sam looked very good down on the wing.

Marcus bent played fairly well i think but he certanly was bent with his shots, that's why he kept running with it most of time (instead of shooting) waiting to be fouled.

Ambrose didn't look anything special, Pard's seems to like playing him though (-;
  • Options
    Yeah, we've got to be patient. Right side excellent. Left side missing Thomas and with Reid inside so much, Thatch not quick enough really to overlap. Ambrose disappointing; Todorov more so - 2 great bits of skill but v little in between. Bent a revelaion (not that I'd ever slag him off of course!). We'll be fine. Might take a while to find best combinations / form, but we looked genuinely dangerous.
  • Options
    Moo2oo was absolutely fantastic.

Bent still pisses me off with his moaning. Semedo was impressive

As for the wankers that booed WEAVER hang your head in shame - his 1st half save in the end got us a point.
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I maybe wrong Ledge, but was the booing not intended as a tongue in check type gesture.
  • Options
    138 points available (46x3), 86 needed for promotion.

Scunthorpe stuck to their game plan manfully, we had more than enough chances to have won 5-1. Plenty of positives with Holland, Thomas, ZZ, Varney to return.

Liked that Mouta fella, Bougherra won me over too
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Moo2 has pace and is fantastic going forward, but seemed naive defending at times (well he is young) - indeed Pards has his work cut out with the two centre halves too. Marcus Bent was very good, Reid probably shaded MOTM - a pity no one was offering for him - we need some more guile and pace up front. Not impressed by Todorov or Iwelumo today. Very soft goal for us to give away but perhaps we didn''t do enough 2nd half to deserve a win.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BDL[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: AllLeftFoot[/cite]............ and we don't seem to be able to afford to run the clock on the big screen!

The clock will return, trust me. Just a few technical snags to iron out, but it will return!
    Are we going to get the player photos and the away team sheet back too? Don't know what half the team look like! ;o)
  • Options
    Reid motm? Are you sure?

For me the positives today were Moutakil, Samedo, Bent (shock!), Sam (first half - faded in the second). Negatives were Todorov, Ambrose (was he playing?) Reid and Magic - looked all at sea at times.

All in all, a very very disappointing result. The game itself was everyting I expected it to be.
  • Options
    Agreed Off_it, I thought Reid was a big disappointment. He was supposed to be playing wide left but just kept on drifting into the centre, getting in Ambrose's way & leaving far too much space down the left for Thatcher to cover on his own. He could learn a lot by watching the way Moo2 (my MOTM) & Sam played down the right. Well played also to Marcus Bent. Todorov was another disappointment.
  • Options
    Its a point gained towards the final total and it going to take time for the team to gel.

A lot of posters are saying Sam had a good game . I felt he was very poor I don't remember him delivering a single decent cross, I also expected Ambrose to influence the game . I felt he went missing/hiding from the play.