Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Scunthorpe: The verdict

2»

Comments

• Options
    You always get strange results on the first day of the season. In 98/9 we beat Southampton 5-0 at home but still got relegated.

The points I would make about today are to remember that we had a lot of new players playing their first competitive game together, Scunthorpe were up for this one rather like we were back in 98/99 and with a little bit of luck and their keeper not having a blinder we would have scored two or three.

I can't really fault any of our players today, other than allowing their centre half a free header for the goal, and would give Scunthorpe, especially the keeper, some credit for sticking to their game plan and working hard.

Stoke are a good top half Championship side and a serious promotion chasing side should be capable of picking up at least a point there.

I'll think about moaning maybe if we fail to do that.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    Knock it on the head, Charlie ...... how can you jump to that conclusion already?

If we don't beat Sheffield Wednesday then IMO we don't deserve to go up
    We should have had a cricket score today with the chances created - so we didn't take them.

But the fact is we didn't.
    Once we get going, we're going to scare the living delights out of a lot of teams.

But first we have to get going.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: F-Blocker[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: BDL[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: AllLeftFoot[/cite]............ and we don't seem to be able to afford to run the clock on the big screen!

The clock will return, trust me. Just a few technical snags to iron out, but it will return!
    Are we going to get the player photos and the away team sheet back too? Don't know what half the team look like! ;o)

Hopefully! ;-)
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    OK here's mine

Squad

Weaver - looked good
    Moo2 - excellent, motm
    McArthy - looked OK
    Magic - big hmm for him, am still puzzled at his price tag,
    Samedo - hmm, do we need him in that role at this level, I'm thinking no.
    Thatcher - Looks worryingly over the hill
    Ambrose - waste of space
    Reid - needs more space
    Todorov - jury out here
    Sam - did good
    Bent - looked as usual pretty poor, got a tap in, but to justify his wages he should piss all over this level.

Iwelumo - looked like a target man, take notes Big Bent.
    McLoud - very impressed so far, electric pace, good crosser, could easily play wing, hope he's a good finisher too

Conclusions: I think we need to get another quality centre half ASAP! And central midfielder perhaps Racon and ZZ will do the trick. Maybe a new left back as good as moo2 would be nice as well.

Tactics

early days, team to gel blah blah blah, but Pards failed to address the crowding in midfield, and sub Ambrose. We didn't have enough width due to Reid coming central all the time, someone on the left wing would have stretched the oppo a bit more and given Reid some space.

Can do better..

:)
  • Options
    I felt that Reid got into lots of good offensive positions and all too often nobody was making themselves available.
  • Options
    Charlie Block is Roy Arnold from the mailing list, so expect doom and gloom and complete rubbish in his posts
  • Options
    Dunno where some of you thought Bent played well. He was his usual make a couple of runs early doors to look good then coast the rest of the game.

Can't stand the bloke think he;s a lazy bastard who when the going got tough yesterday he "pulled up" again with a mystery injury.
  • Options
    Raz,
    you saying we realy need a leftback,
    isn't Kelly Youga a left back, maybe he should be thrown in in the cup game to see how he goes,
    or is he out on loan ?
  • Options
    he hasnt impressed I think..
  • Options
    If he has not impressed why have we still got him ,
    been on the books a couple of years now i think
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: lucy lou[/cite]shut up you mug,correct someone else .[/quote]

Sorry boss, will do.

[;)]
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: eeladdick[/cite]Raz,
    you saying we realy need a leftback,
    isn't Kelly Youga a left back, maybe he should be thrown in in the cup game to see how he goes,
    or is he out on loan ?[/quote]

He went on loan to Scunthorpe for a month.
  • Options
    Kelly's been lent to Scunthorpe
  • Options
    cheers guys,
    maybe he will get a run here then
  • Options
    though bent was poor. 21 grand a week.....peh!

Reid was our best player. he wanted it and chased every lost cause and nearly scored a free kick. mootoo was impressive.
    Although there were a lot of possitives to take out of the game. if we play like that overall we will get stuffed by a few decent sides this season.
    All credit to scunny they came for a point and shut up shop. Very tight at the back.
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    You should never read anything from the first game, let alone this one. This was the highest game Scunthorpe have ever played in so was like a cup game to them. A couple of absentees will make a real difference to our team as well.

What was the atmosphere like ?
  • Options
    Atmosphere at start was good but you could sense the tension rising as so many people's expectations were for an easy win. Scunny frustrated us all afternoon but like Pards i took a lot of positives out of the game and still think we'll do well this season.
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]Charlie Block is Roy Arnold from the mailing list, so expect doom and gloom and complete rubbish in his posts

But I think most here will be expecting us to turn over Sheffield Wednesday quite easily.
  • Options
    i was expecting us to turn over scunthorpe very easily.
  • Options
    I was generally happy with the performances except Ambrose and Todorov. Reid obviously needs to play in the centre and as he kept drifting inside we lacked width on the left. Pards should have switched Ambrose there. Once Thomas is fit play Reid in the middle and ZZ on the right. Toddy was very disappointing. In two games he's done nothing. We lacked genuine pace up front although it looks as if McLeod has it in spades. Poor marking for their goal but otherwise the back four is good enough. Moo2 is class. Too early to be down-hearted.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Scunthorpe brought great away support, 2,000+ ? better then a good few premiership clubs last season and they helped the atmosphere, which was largely as described, good to begin with trailing off then better again. As good as our runn in and a million miles better than 12 or 24 months ago.
  • Options
    I Know things have changed but i remember we played and beat Scunthorpe in the mid 70's when Theo was manager,can't remember the final score,maybe Oggy knows but they had great support and good luck to them,it's only the 1st game and i think we have enough over 46 games to get us back.
    Enough said.
  • Options
    I do remember going to Scunthorpe in 1973, I believe - we won 2-0 at the Old Show Ground and I've a feeling Phil Warman scored one of our goals (or maybe it was Bob Curtis? ). Can't remember who scored the other, probably King Arthur - but I'm only guessing. Memory is a bit hazy after all these years........ ;-)