Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Missed opportunities/ regrets

Comments

• Options
    edited March 20
    When I was starting off my career I was invited by a small firm of fairly elderly lawyers to watch England v South Africa for a day of a test at Lords in 2003. It was one of my first ever live cricket experiences.  I accepted.  The day after accepting I found out my company had a box, and I was asked to host it.  I said I couldn't as it would be rude to back track on the invite I had already accepted.

I spent a day in the cheap seats with some 60yr old lawyers watching SA bat all day with barely a wicket, it was fun enough and free so I left happy.

The next day I found out that Bobby Robson had spent the day in my employers box. Each hour he would disappear and return with a sporting legend of the time (Jonny Wilkinson and Martin Johnson are the ones I remember but the list was extensive).  At the end of the day he took everyone in the box into the long room and gave them a guided tour!
    I think I was there at Lord's that day. 

As long as you weren't in the box with Bobby Robson! 🤣
    I mainly remember it was very hot, South Africa batted and there either wasn't a wicket all day or maybe just the one..
    A few years earlier in '98 I had been in Sydney and all my mates got tickets to the SCG for the Ashes. I said I didn't like cricket so didn't bother.  Gough got a hat-rick the first day and I missed it.  Thankfully(!?!?), one of my good friends spent the day starring at the Ozzie sun with no cream on so I had his ticket for the rest of the days as he blistered up-never seen sun brun like it! That was my very first cricket experience, the SA game my second.
  • Options
    When I was young, at work, one of the post room team asked me if I wanted a free ticket to see Queen Live at Wembley. Based one of their songs that I detested. (the one with the blow up doll type things). Then the next year, Live Aid came on. I was working that in a different company. Saw Queen in one of the many television shops in my tea break. I thought Paul. You fucked it right up. Not a regret, bu the opposite happened many years late. Went bowling with a group of friends in Lewisham. We went to a restaurant after ten pin bowling. On comes a Bon Jovi record. A lady I never knew before that day and I were chatting and I mentioned that I loved Bon Jovi. She happened to tell me that one of her friends couldn't make it and there is spare ticket going. £100. And it was quite close to the stage. 2 weeks before I never knew anything about it. When I got there, there area we were in which was fenced off and who comes on? The Kaiser Chiefs !! . I couldn't believe my luck that they were one of the supporting Acts.I thought I only know Ruby (or so I thought),  then they belted out song after song. I realised I know more of their songs than I first thought. 
  • Options
    Stewart said:
    Me in July putting £50 on Charlton to get promoted this season. 
    And I thought my anger at £1 on us to get into top 6 was too hard to bear.  🤦🏻‍♂️
  • Options
    When I was younger, I used to work with my dad at a plastering firm during the school holidays. Went out with the driver to deliver some cornice to an address in West London that they were about to start work in. 

I knocked on the door while the driver parked up and I was met by a gruff older guy (I think I’d woken him up) and he asked us to leave it round the corner.

My dad told me later it was John Entwistle and he couldn’t believe I hadn’t recognised him given how huge a Who fan I was. 

I was gutted but thankfully my dad got his autograph for me on a subsequent site visit. 
  • Options
    Also, as a young man working in a bar, I was asked if I was a model. When I explained that... er... no I was not, the women handed me her model agency business card and told me to visit her offices. I was so shy, and rather perversely after being slightly teased about it by my colleagues, I never went. Thus I missed out on an international modelling career and undoubtedly eventually getting into the pants of Rachel Hunter etc... Her regret as much as mine, no doubt.
    IMPORTANT POST SCRIPT: I was introduced to Rachel at an event a few years back, though. Not often one gets within an arm's length of one's teenage fantasies. We chatted briefly and I shook her hand....we pressed flesh! She was very brave and didn't mention any regrets on her part. She's as brave as she is beautiful.
  • Options
    edited March 21
    Was due to play golf in Florida with Nigel Mansell (friend of a friend) - COVID struck, lockdown happened and trip never took place.
  • Options
    Missed out on having  a chat in a club with a geezer who had shagged Madonna.
    If he was the first bloke to shag her maybe she was like a virgin.
  • Options
    Thought a mural festival invitation email on behalf of the Crown Prince of Dubai was a scam.... until other Artists started popping up over there getting paid 30k a wall. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Regret never having been offered a scholarship anywhere
  • Options
    Life is too short to have regrets 
  • Options
    Life is too short to have regrets 
    Regretfully yes
  • Options
    Pet Shop Boys, Muse and Hard-Fi have all played in Shanghai in the past. I didn't go. They will probably never come again, especially Pet Shop Boys for reasons I can't mention on a public forum...
  • Options
    edited March 21
    Jessie said:
    Pet Shop Boys, Muse and Hard-Fi have all played in Shanghai in the past. I didn't go. They will probably never come again, especially Pet Shop Boys for reasons I can't mention on a public forum...
    Don't worry Jessie, Hard-Fi are one of the worst bands I have ever seen live. No idea how much work they had to do to get his voice to sound ok on a record, as he had an awful voice live.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Jessie said:
    Don't worry Jessie, Hard-Fi are one of the worst bands I have ever seen live. No idea how much work they had to do to get his voice to sound ok on a record, as he had an awful voice live.
    Despite my previous comment I agree with that about his voice. However as a sum of all parts gig was brilliant.

• Options
    When I was 15 we come back from an away game and as per norm our crowd decided to have one in The Oasthouse at London Bridge station before getting our different lines home. The was an old Scottish drunk in there with snot running down his nose that took a shine to our group and me in particular.

All of a sudden he tries to give me a carrier bag, it was stuffed full of Scottish notes. Thousands upon thousands of quid (bear in mind this was about 1991). We got a bit spooked, I got talked out of it by @Swerve and a few other sensible heads that something was majorly off and we ended up scarpering. But always wondered what would have happened if I’d taken that bag. 
    Would have ended badly and Charlton Life would then have never happened.

You should have taken the ****ing bag!
    A life without Charlton Life would have been so much better , so many productivity hours lost due to it .
    I always thought we were a freakish supported club but this site confirms it 
    The One Flew over the cuckoo's nest with Hotel California vibe of the Internet.
  • Options
    I wrote what was probably the greatest post to have ever graced CL, but I deleted it all just before I clicked the 'post' button. I was worried it wouldn't get the LOL count I was hoping for, but now I wish I pulled the trigger. 
  • Options
    Regrets, I've had a few
    But then again too few to mention. 
  • Options
    Dating my mate's sister. Only lasted about 4 months but ruined a 10 year friendship. 
  • Options
    edited March 21
    But really it's crypto for me. 

Had an in depth conversation with a mate about crypto when we were in 6th form in 2012. Then like now I didn't trust it as it isn't based on anything real not backed or regulated. His argument was it doesn't matter if it is gonna be long term and the claims about replacing conventional money are all false but it will still take off as an investment even if its not regulated. He mined some (somehow) and bought a chunk, I didn't. 

He sold when it all took off and has lived off what he made for the last few years. If I had matched him I'd be set for life.