Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Garden office

Comments

• Options

T_C_E said:

My son in law had this built in his garden, stupid money (without the pro table)  and slightly on the large size for an office but the company that constructed it were to an exceptional standard of professionalism.
    I could as him for contact details if you wish?

That looks very decent.

You just know someone’s going to spill a drink or put a fag burn in that table though.
    With the cloth at over a grand and table coming from one of the pro tournaments you can imagine the glare I got when I jokingly posed for a swerve shot with my cue almost vertical 😳 
    He won’t tell me what the total cost was but he sold a car for 55k and at least two thirds of that paid for it all. 
  • Options
    edited March 25
    Chizz said:
    T_C_E said:

My son in law had this built in his garden, stupid money (without the pro table)  and slightly on the large size for an office but the company that constructed it were to an exceptional standard of professionalism.

I would be interested to know what company he used.  Do they have a website?  

(Also, he needs to sort that TV picture out.  There's some sort of delay on it, because the balls on the table aren't in the same position as they appear to be on the live TV view). 
    I’ve messaged him,
    the ball position was after I broke.
    I went on to make a PB break of four in that frame after fluking the green. 🤷‍♂️
  • Options
    T_C_E said:
    Chizz said:
    T_C_E said:

(Also, he needs to sort that TV picture out.  There's some sort of delay on it, because the balls on the table aren't in the same position as they appear to be on the live TV view). 
    I’ve messaged him,
    I went on to make a PB break of three in that frame after fluking the green. 🤷‍♂️
    That would be 4 mate, as you'd have had to pot a red first.
  • Options
    T_C_E said:
    Chizz said:
    T_C_E said:

I’ve messaged him,
    I went on to make a PB break of three in that frame after fluking the green. 🤷‍♂️
    That would be 4 mate, as you'd have had to pot a red first.
    Not if, he was on the colours. 
  • Options
    Ha ha. He would have been all over that.
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Found this company at the Chelsea flower show a few years back , prices have gone through the roof since we got ours, but would recommend the company, and product.

https://www.cranegardenbuildings.co.uk/?campaignid=brand_by_location&mediumid=adwords&sourceid=google_cpc&gad_source=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7eSg-5SPhQMV4ObjBx1YVQMaEAAYASAAEgKnxPD_BwE
    Can you give me advice on what foundation you used? 
    If you are putting down a concrete base it should be roughly 2 inches shorter than the wooden building. 
    For example if you was installing a shed that was ten foot by ten foot the concrete base should be nine foot 10 inches by 9 foot 10 inches. 
    This is so that when it rains the rain falls of the bottom of the shed and goes directly to the ground. 
    If the concrete base was a few inches wider than the shed the rain would go underneath the wooden base and in time rot the floor. 
    If you prefer the base to be wider than the building then you could always spread some house bricks on the concrete before laying the floor to leave a gap so the rain doesn't touch the floor. 
    Trouble with that is that small creatures such as rats and mice tend to build their nests there.
    Good luck whichever way you choose to do it.

Thanks!
  • Options

I put in a lovely garden office in 2008in my old house in Dartford when I was operating as a self employed consultant. We sourced it from the garden office place on the right hand side as you go into Ruxley Manor garden centre. Lovely old Indian chap ran it although I suspect he’s retired now. It was insulated to habitable spec with shingle roof and we put in full electrics and plumbing capable of taking domestic waste. We had it in mind that we could turn it into a studio flat with separate loo and shower for when my lads reached shagging age so that we didn’t have to listen to them at it in the house above our lounge. It was a great haven of peace and quiet for me before I went back to real job up town.  The eagle eyed will spot the Floyd Road sign above the desk.  With full concrete base, all the utilities and fitting out it cost me the thick end of £20k so I shudder to think what it would cost now.  
  • Options

Better pictures. We had to revamped after a burst pipe in 2018 so took the opportunity to tidy it up a bit!!!
  • Options
    Furnishings are a bit ornate for a sauna.

Oh wait, should have checked if this was intended to be the home office equivalent of rate my plate. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Why not a simple conventional concrete slab, blockwork wall, timber roof?
    As long as access isn’t too much of an issue, reckon you could get a 12 meter rectangular type build done for around 10k.
    Add external cladding, insulation, door & windows, say another 5k
    Cant comment on electrics and plumbing as that is location dependant.
  • Options
    edited March 25
    Still work in progress, but got communications, electrical, soil waste and cold water all run.
    windows and doors off eBay 
    Just got a few mates to help.
    Slab concrete £1k
    Blocks and labour and mortar £2.5k
    Timber roof £1k
    Felt and underlay, plus labour £800
    Doors and windows £300
    Fascia and Soffit £200

• Options
    We are looking at one from Johnson’s. Parents may be moving in so my wife needs to relocate her craft room so they can have their own lounge.
  • Options
    We are looking at one from Johnson’s. Parents may be moving in so my wife needs to relocate her craft room so they can have their own lounge.
    Very happy with the product and their service. I bought their standard electrics ‘package’, but wish I’d got an electrician to put lights etc where I wanted them.
  • Options
    edited March 25
    SX_Addick said:
    Very happy with the product and their service. I bought their standard electrics ‘package’, but wish I’d got an electrician to put lights etc where I wanted them.
    We already have a feed out to the garden from when we had a hot tub so they have suggested it would be cheaper for us to get in our own electrician opposed to their package. Good to know you’d recommend them though.
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    T_C_E said:

https://summerhouse24.co.uk/garden-rooms/
  • Options
    T_C_E said:
    Chizz said:
    T_C_E said:

https://summerhouse24.co.uk/garden-rooms/
    Thanks so much for taking the trouble to dig that out for me.  That's really useful. 
  • Options
    We have one in our garden. Small part of it is the "shed" with a hidden door.
    It's my home office, but the mrs has decided that stuff she doesn't want in the house has to go in there now so I have some sports equipment in there, books, etc.
    It's very very good - budget £15-20k+ depending on size if you want more than a draughty shed.

My mate is a builder and has been doing loads of these. So many in fact that he is about to set up a new company - The Garden Room Company. I am in the process of doing him a website for it.

Some of them are mental (like the snooker table above!), but my garden isn't quite that big!

DM me if you want me to put you in touch with him. He's based in Hartley
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 26
    Really considering having one of these built in the garden within next 18 months as personal office as I WFH permanently. 

Only issue is that where it would be locate is a sun trap and during the summer months can easily be sun for 14 hours+. Excluding getting an AC unit any idea on whether it is possible to keep these buildings cool in the summer. 
  • Options
    Really considering having one of these built in the garden within next 18 months as personal office as I WFH permanently. 

Only issue is that where it would be locate is a sun trap and during the summer months can easily be sun for 14 hours+. Excluding getting an AC unit any idea on whether it is possible to keep these buildings cool in the summer. 
    Aircon is the only way really. You can and should put up blinds etc on doors/windows which will help, but you will still roast!

My mate has one of these in his garden room and really good. https://www.aircondirect.co.uk/p/1449870/10000-btu-wall-mounted-air-conditioner-and-heat-pump-without-outdoor-unit-with-wifi-for-rooms-up-to-30-sqm

Saves space, i.e. no separate heat pump. Does heating as well from memory. Or get a portable one, but you still have to vent out, they start from around £300. 
  • Options
    It's my home office, but the mrs has decided that stuff she doesn't want in the house has to go in there now so I have some sports equipment in there, books, etc.
    It's very very good - budget £15-20k+ depending on size if you want more than a draughty shed.

My mate is a builder and has been doing loads of these. So many in fact that he is about to set up a new company - The Garden Room Company. I am in the process of doing him a website for it.

Some of them are mental (like the snooker table above!), but my garden isn't quite that big!

Really appreciate that.  I would like to see the URL when you're done, but the location isn't going to work. 
  • Options
    Chizz said:

Really appreciate that.  I would like to see the URL when you're done, but the location isn't going to work
    Where you based, Chizz? FWIW there's no reason to spend £15-20k.
  • Options
    Don’t take this to heart, but I can see why the electrician charged you £450
  • Options
    R0TW said:
    Lol, he didn't charge that much.

It's the one downside with log cabins, you cannot run in the walls as all solid. Some is run in conduit externally (first picture you can see just a socket).

But critique away..........
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    R0TW said:

It's the one downside with log cabins, you cannot run in the walls as all solid. Some is run in conduit externally (first picture you can see just a socket).

I ran my conduit on the outside, down the back, just had the fittings inside of the cabin, the shed had conduit inside for both the shed part and the cabin.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    R0TW said:

I ran my conduit on the outside, down the back, just had the fittings inside of the cabin, the shed had conduit inside for both the shed part and the cabin.
    Thats broadly what I did, the main parts you see (inc consumer unit) are in the shed. I wanted lights at the front and switch by the door so a little bit of conduit inside near the double doors, but I'm fine with that.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:

I've got better pictures somewhere, but this is what sub £7k bought in 68mm log thickness, 19mm floor and roof, add to that about £450 for electrics, £150 for floor insulation, £1800 for garden clearance and the concrete base, I did the floor internally, about £150 in LVT.

That's really smart.  I like it! 

Is it just a single layer of 68mm timber, or do you have insulation in there? And, what is the roof made of?  Is it EPDM or shingles?  Or... something else?