Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Garden office

13»

Comments

• Options
    Chizz said:
    Rob7Lee said:

I've got better pictures somewhere, but this is what sub £7k bought in 68mm log thickness, 19mm floor and roof, add to that about £450 for electrics, £150 for floor insulation, £1800 for garden clearance and the concrete base, I did the floor internally, about £150 in LVT.

That's really smart.  I like it! 

Is it just a single layer of 68mm timber, or do you have insulation in there? And, what is the roof made of?  Is it EPDM or shingles?  Or... something else?  
    Just a single layer of 68mm, provides perfectly good insulation by itself, not sure how the thinner logs would compare, but was the thickest they did. Some places do even thicker.

I did insulate the floor under the floorboards with 50mm kingspan. The roof is shingle, although I did what I've done on previous summer houses, first a thin sheet of roofing membrane/underlay then shingles on top just for that little extra protection. If I was using it every day in winter (or a lot) as an office I'd have insulated the roof as well. The suggestion there is roof as is, but before shingles lay kingspan with boarding on top, then shingles on top of the boards. The roof boards (like the floor) are only 19mm thick.

It doesn't get used much in winter, but when the wife does she puts the little fan heater on for about 5-10 minutes and it's toasty warm for a couple of hours. I'm tempted to put a permanent heater in there, but it really doesn't need much, maybe even an infrared one would do.

Obviously if you go large like TCE's son in law you may need a bit more!
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    Chizz said:
    Rob7Lee said:

I've got better pictures somewhere, but this is what sub £7k bought in 68mm log thickness, 19mm floor and roof, add to that about £450 for electrics, £150 for floor insulation, £1800 for garden clearance and the concrete base, I did the floor internally, about £150 in LVT.

Is it just a single layer of 68mm timber, or do you have insulation in there? And, what is the roof made of?  Is it EPDM or shingles?  Or... something else?  
    Just a single layer of 68mm, provides perfectly good insulation by itself, not sure how the thinner logs would compare, but was the thickest they did. Some places do even thicker.

I did insulate the floor under the floorboards with 50mm kingspan. The roof is shingle, although I did what I've done on previous summer houses, first a thin sheet of roofing membrane/underlay then shingles on top just for that little extra protection. If I was using it every day in winter (or a lot) as an office I'd have insulated the roof as well. The suggestion there is roof as is, but before shingles lay kingspan with boarding on top, then shingles on top of the boards. The roof boards (like the floor) are only 19mm thick.

It doesn't get used much in winter, but when the wife does she puts the little fan heater on for about 5-10 minutes and it's toasty warm for a couple of hours. I'm tempted to put a permanent heater in there, but it really doesn't need much, maybe even an infrared one would do.

What size is it?  

I was originally looking at a converted shipping container, which would have been 20ft x 8ft.  So that's very roughly the size I will be looking for.  
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    Chizz said:
    Rob7Lee said:

What size is it?  

I was originally looking at a converted shipping container, which would have been 20ft x 8ft.  So that's very roughly the size I will be looking for.  
    6 x 3m, although 1.5m of the 6m is shed, so main area 4.5m x 3m. So in old money around 15ft x 10ft so little difference footage wise.
  • Options
    We are looking at one from Johnson’s. Parents may be moving in so my wife needs to relocate her craft room so they can have their own lounge.
    We got ours from there as well, after looking round their examples at polhill garden centre. Was very happy with their service 
  • Options
    edited March 26
    Just be careful with whatever you go for, that it’s 2 metres away from your perimeter fence, so you don’t fall foul of planning application, I may have got the meter age away from the fence wrong, worth checking before you put it there, in case your neighbours aren’t in favour!
  • Options
    Just be careful with whatever you go for, that it’s 2 metres away from your perimeter fence, so you don’t fall foul of planning application, I may have got the meter age away from the fence wrong, worth checking before you put it there, in case your neighbours aren’t in favour!
    2m is correct I think, but from memory only if the height is more than 2.5m, up to that all good. Hence why most garden buildings are within the 2.5m height, even then the 2m gap means permitted development, only within the two meters (and larger than 2.5m high) means planning.
  • Options
    We are looking at one from Johnson’s. Parents may be moving in so my wife needs to relocate her craft room so they can have their own lounge.
    We got ours from there as well, after looking round their examples at polhill garden centre. Was very happy with their service 
    We also looked round there, and coolings, I just couldn't believe the prices, I suspect there was haggle room, but still seemed to me to be nearly 3x what I paid. Their Hempsted was the equivalent of what I ended up with, they only did in 45mm and by the time I upped the spec to include things like double glazing I was into about £22k.

TBF that did include construction, but as that took me and a 75 year old two days I would have thought at worst a few man days for them.

Not wishing to put anyone off them, as the buildings looked perfectly fine, just really pricey for what you were getting. The only bit I thought was better was thicker floor boards (think 28mm rather than 19mm I have). Having gone back after I put mine up I did begin to wonder if they are all produced in the same factory as the windows on the double glazing were exactly the same, hinges, handles, plastic rain run off at the front etc.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    We also looked round there, and coolings, I just couldn't believe the prices, I suspect there was haggle room, but still seemed to me to be nearly 3x what I paid. Their Hempsted was the equivalent of what I ended up with, they only did in 45mm and by the time I upped the spec to include things like double glazing I was into about £22k.

TBF that did include construction, but as that took me and a 75 year old two days I would have thought at worst a few man days for them.

Not wishing to put anyone off them, as the buildings looked perfectly fine, just really pricey for what you were getting. The only bit I thought was better was thicker floor boards (think 28mm rather than 19mm I have). Having gone back after I put mine up I did begin to wonder if they are all produced in the same factory as the windows on the double glazing were exactly the same, hinges, handles, plastic rain run off at the front etc.
    We got ours done in Jan 2020 so just before everything went a bit mad. We got the “Vancouver Special”, they were offering lots of deals and there was a negotiation. We ended up just short of £9k all in, including electrics and build. 
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:

All fine and dandy if you are confident you can construct it properly and that it wouldn’t leak or fall down in a year or two. I suppose I could find someone local to put it up and save a bit but at least by using the one company to supply and fit you can go back to them to rectify if any problems. Agree Johnson’s are pricey but they are currently doing 20% off and even if they weren’t I’m sure the price could be haggled down. 
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    R0TW said:
    Don’t take this to heart, but I can see why the electrician charged you £450
    Lol, he didn't charge that much.

It's the one downside with log cabins, you cannot run in the walls as all solid. Some is run in conduit externally (first picture you can see just a socket).

But critique away..........
    I ran my conduit on the outside, down the back, just had the fittings inside of the cabin, the shed had conduit inside for both the shed part and the cabin.
    Thats broadly what I did, the main parts you see (inc consumer unit) are in the shed. I wanted lights at the front and switch by the door so a little bit of conduit inside near the double doors, but I'm fine with that.
    Personal taste. I like it. Its tidy, safe and if you want to change the configuration you can access without ripping out the lining.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    This is good advice, thank you.  I have measured up so that I can place it more than two metres from any of the fences.  And, fortunately, my neighbour's absolutely fine with whatever I do on my side.  (Or so he's said...)
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    This is good advice, thank you.  I have measured up so that I can place it more than two metres from any of the fences.  And, fortunately, my neighbour's absolutely fine with whatever I do on my side.  (Or so he's said...)
    If you stick to a height of 2.5m you don't need to worry. The one I bought, like most, is purposely designed as such - 2.47m high.
  • Options
    Really considering having one of these built in the garden within next 18 months as personal office as I WFH permanently. 

Only issue is that where it would be locate is a sun trap and during the summer months can easily be sun for 14 hours+. Excluding getting an AC unit any idea on whether it is possible to keep these buildings cool in the summer. 
    Paint the outside white to reflect the heat, and use blackout blinds when you're not in there to help reduce the solar heating effect inside. Having adjustable vents just below the roof line to let out the hot air might help too.
  • Options
    I got 4x3 log cabin mine was from dunster house September 2021 I purchased this. Think everything including electric about 9k 
    Very nice mate!
  • Options
    Very envious of all of these! I'm moving house next Friday and my initial plan was to get one of these in the garden. Unfortunately there's not going to be room so I will just live through CharltonLife!
  • Options
    Well why else do you think I really wanted it? 
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    I bought my house two months ago, and one of the main reasons I really wanted it was because of the outbuilding. 

Still doing some bits to it, but it’s mostly as I want it now in terms of function. Managed to get a firm in to help install Sky TV and internet so that it works just as it would inside the house too.

There are two rooms in there. This is the larger one with jacuzzi and a bar. The ex-ex-owner was a personal trainer so the flooring is kitted out with the sort of rubber material you get in a gym weights room. 

And then this is the 2nd room. The last owner was into his DJing, so had it built with heavy sound proofing (including double doors). Will come in handy once I get my electric guitars/amps in here. 

I’m using it as a man cave, but will soon double up as an office too. Got the Charlton game on at the moment! 

Living the dream mate, congrats! 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cafctom wins this thread
  • Options
    Did you buy it off of Sangaard ?
  • Options
     'the flooring is kitted out with the sort of rubber material you get in a wipe down sex dungeon.. 
  • Options
    edited March 29

Built with help from the father in law took about two weeks in Summer 2020. Cost about £3.5k.

Inside has changed a lot since the above, outside looks much the same.