Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

WASPI

2»

Comments

• Options
    edited April 6
    Off_it said:
    Why were there different retirement ages for men and women? What was the logic?

Women have had a rough deal on so many things over the years - and still do - but I dont understand how equalising the retirement age was somehow discriminating against them. All it did was put them on an equal footing with men, which is surely what the fight has always been about?
    It’s not about the equalisation of retirement age though. I doubt anyone would dispute the fairness and logic in that. It’s about the increase for those women who for most of their working lives were expecting to be retiring at age 60. Many would have (should have) planned their finances based upon the original age of 60 they were told when they started employment. Although the increase was widely publicised, no official letter with the change was ever sent out to the women formalising the notification. The Waspi claim also says that they timescale involved from announcing the increase until the new date of state pension entitlement did not allow enough time for those affected to make different or additional arrangements to counterbalance the losses incurred by the age increase. It’s really a Mal administration fuck up of monumental proportion. Personally I think the prospect of compensation is minute. Tory government know they’re out of office in a few months so will want to pass this onto the new Labour government and the new Labour government will in no way be able to afford to make compensatory payments. 
  • Options
    In theory women should retire later because they live longer. 

Either way, there was stuff going on about this years ago. Ridiculous really.