Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• Options
    Music to Golfie's ear I imagine.   

Hope getting the squad in early and the right players being brought in happens.  
  • Options
    I predict we will still be  bemoaning the lack of signings on the first match preview thread 
  • Options
    Superb
    He knows what he’s doing. Next season could be an exciting one. 
  • Options
    They have a plan and it looks green lit to me if it’s in the local rag. I like the nod to working hard in the
    next 7 matches and evaluating the squad. Gives the players something to think about :)
  • Options
    Fingers crossed this is a sign the leopard has, finally, flipping changed its spots.

Go get 'em. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Valley11 said:
    Our head of recruitment seems a lot quieter these days too….
    Head of teas and coffees, hopefully. 
  • Options
    Jones has to overcome the sneaky bloodsucking manoeuvres of agents in order to get what he wants.
    All over the place we see last minute decisions and brinkman(woman)ship driven by leeches.
  • Options
    Everyone would agree with this sentiment. I hope that he can get any targeted free agents and transfers done early. So hopefully the core of the squad can be assembled and only exceptional player should be added later.

A couple of challenges might be that some of the better free agents might have aspirations to play at a higher level and only downgrade that ambition late on .

Similarly the loan market seems to hot up near the end of the window when the Premier League clubs release their squad lists.Bielik, Cullen, Gallagher and JRS all arrived after the start of the season and probably wouldn't have been available earlier.
  • Options
    It’s interesting that we definitely have quite a few players that will need moving out and in previous years that’s always seemed to be a stumbling block to getting our business done early. I’m expecting all the loan players returning with possibly the exception of Bakinson. Then we have the players we have out on loan plus several others who Jones won’t want to retain. Smaller squad according to the boss but still a lot of business to be done especially if the end of June is the target. 
  • Options
    Can’t pinpoint it but at some point during Appletons tenure the men with the money decided that a change in strategy was required. Jones coming in was about as good an appointment as we could have possibly achieved and what we’ve seen and are now hearing seems to confirm to me at least that we’re prepared to invest some decent money in order to progress. Getting business done early isn’t the cheap option so I think we’ve got to be excited for the summer and next season. Of course the proof is as alway in the eating but I’m about as positive as I’ve been for some time. I doubt we’d have got Jones without some serious guarantees about spending and strategy.
    At first that sounds logical, but is it ?  Yes, you will have to spend more money up front to force early decisions by players and clubs. But if you leave it until the end of the window you are, potentially, wasting matches and missing out on points that could be crucial at the end of the season.  The differences between the auto spots and playoff lottery or between playoffs and missing out altogether are rarely many points so why reduce your promotion chances by being deliberately understrength for 10-15% of matches.
  • Options
    "not going into pre-season where we are six short and we are signing players in August."

What is this common sense approach, it'll never catch on!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Hex said:
    Can’t pinpoint it but at some point during Appletons tenure the men with the money decided that a change in strategy was required. Jones coming in was about as good an appointment as we could have possibly achieved and what we’ve seen and are now hearing seems to confirm to me at least that we’re prepared to invest some decent money in order to progress. Getting business done early isn’t the cheap option so I think we’ve got to be excited for the summer and next season. Of course the proof is as alway in the eating but I’m about as positive as I’ve been for some time. I doubt we’d have got Jones without some serious guarantees about spending and strategy.
    At first that sounds logical, but is it ?  Yes, you will have to spend more money up front to force early decisions by players and clubs. But if you leave it until the end of the window you are, potentially, wasting matches and missing out on points that could be crucial at the end of the season.  The differences between the auto spots and playoff lottery or between playoffs and missing out altogether are rarely many points so why reduce your promotion chances by being deliberately understrength for 10-15% of matches.
    Take your point but in purely financial terms it’s expensive to target a specific player and get it done. 
  • Options
    You are bang on mate. I’m pretty sure the owners realised that they had stumped up north of £12m with the ongoing running costs building on that and it was obvious to all that what they currently owned was a club going nowhere but backwards which would just eat more cash. Fortunately this lot have deep enough pockets to reverse that trend and I’m 100% certain they took a view that the only chance they have to see any kind of return would be to get a decent football manager in and back him to get us up the leagues ( look at the Ipswich owners who most people including me thought were mental but have seen a massive ROI ) this is good news for us I’m sure and if NJ can deliver we will be back up there I’m sure
  • Options
    NJ is 100% correct, of course. Just hope the SMT have the funding and capability to keep up with his wishes.
  • Options
    Nice sentiment but easier said than done. Jones has laid down a bit of a challenge there so if he doesn't get what he wants expect there to be some friction if we don't get off to a good start next season. I'd love us to have everyone in the door on 1st July but we will see.
  • Options
    Music to my ears too. Need 99% of the squad together for pre season so we can start the season with everything in place and hit the ground running. Could be exciting times.
  • Options
    For once I am speechless.
    Go old school, type the words…
  • Options
    we will now see if the owners are serious and i get the feeling Nathan wont be messed about