Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jones wants bulk of summer transfer business done before the end of June

2»

Comments

• Options
    A manager we can all get behind, positive ownership vibes and no youngsters looking like they're walking away in the summer for peanuts. What's happened to the club I love?
  • Options
    Hopefully the short term deals for the likes of Wickham and Lua Lua suggest that actions will actually match words this time - it suggests that Jones has already started making plans for next year at least in terms of the type of player he's after if not specific names yet.

Ipswich did something very similar IIRC where they essentially wrote off the last month or two of a season and treated it as extended planning/preparation for the next one and it worked out pretty well for them.

On the other hand, saying the right thing and making the right noises has never been the problem for the Consortium/SMT - it's actually following up on it they need to do more consistently, but hopefully Jones will be a part of that.
  • Options
    Pompey did their business early last summer, and look at them now.

It's not as if they had a massive budget either, and blew everyone away with high wages and big transfer fees.
    So did Carlisle and many on here were moaning about why we couldn’t be like them and their ambitious new owners!!  😉
  • Options
    edited March 29
    Positive words and don't doubt Jones does want business done early but wanting something and getting it are different things.

Let’s see who's on the plane to Malaga or whereever.
    Bang on the money. Every manager wants this, Jones has just been clever enough to use the good run of form and his power to force the ownership’s hand a little bit more than Holden or Adkins would’ve dared to in the past.

Now we wait and see what ACTUALLY happens. It could be a very exciting summer. Or it could be a massive let down.

WIOTOS…
  • Options
    We were so short of signings at the start of this season that Dean Holden had to take half the under 21s on our pre season tour to Spain.
    Getting your signings done early gives you a far better chance of getting of to a good start when the season begins. 
    Let's hope it happens 
    A major point of having a pre season tour is building team spirit, so it's a massive failing is much of your 1st team squad isn't there.

As it happens we are starting in a better position than last year anyway, as with the business done in January we already have a core of players.
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Valley11 said:
    Our head of recruitment seems a lot quieter these days too….
    Head of teas and coffees, hopefully. 
    I feel an Oscar Wilde quote coming on
    “If this is coffee, give me tea; if this is tea, give me coffee”.
  • Options
    For once I am speechless.
    Result!!
  • Options
    I think we’ll see this afternoon just how far off being where where we want to be and need to be. I still think it’s way way off. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I mean, we say this just about every year don't we? 

Still, at least this time it feels like it really could be a bit different. 
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    I mean, we say this just about every year don't we? 

Still, at least this time it feels like it really could be a bit different. 
    I think it will be different this time.
  • Options
    Hex said:
    Can’t pinpoint it but at some point during Appletons tenure the men with the money decided that a change in strategy was required. Jones coming in was about as good an appointment as we could have possibly achieved and what we’ve seen and are now hearing seems to confirm to me at least that we’re prepared to invest some decent money in order to progress. Getting business done early isn’t the cheap option so I think we’ve got to be excited for the summer and next season. Of course the proof is as alway in the eating but I’m about as positive as I’ve been for some time. I doubt we’d have got Jones without some serious guarantees about spending and strategy.
    At first that sounds logical, but is it ?  Yes, you will have to spend more money up front to force early decisions by players and clubs. But if you leave it until the end of the window you are, potentially, wasting matches and missing out on points that could be crucial at the end of the season.  The differences between the auto spots and playoff lottery or between playoffs and missing out altogether are rarely many points so why reduce your promotion chances by being deliberately understrength for 10-15% of matches.
    Take your point but in purely financial terms it’s expensive to target a specific player and get it done. 
    In purely financial terms it's even more expensive not getting promotion. 
  • Options
    Heard it before. Hope it happens and it's a good thing to target but ultimately very hard to do. If we fall a bit short but have the core of a good squad by then and hold out for a few quality additions later in the window then that'll be a good effort and a success.
  • Options
    I know it's all a bit glitz but Wrexham are an example of when you flash a bit of cash, get the fans inside and build something. Whilst they are reported to be well indebted to the owners, the club is surely moving in the right direction.

Something similar in League One can't be so much more expensive, can it?

I watched a report on Sky this morning and of course the correlation between £spend and success is very high. Let's hope our owners can bankroll whatever Jones is asking them for. If not, I doubt he'll stay.