Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Konch - "Nobody likes Curbishley, he's an idiot"

WSSWSS
edited August 2007 in Other Football and Sports
Well, not quite...

Fulham defender Paul Konchesky has hit out at West Ham boss Alan Curbishley, claiming he is "sure" the manager was the reason behind Carlos Tevez's decision to leave the club.

Konchesky played under Curbishley at Charlton and West Ham but left the East End club this summer and insists the Hammers chief was his motivation for leaving.

"There was, and still is, a lot of unhappy players at the club who don't like him. I am one of them and he knows that, and that is why I left the club," he told The People. "I know there are a lot of players who don't think he is any good."

Konchesky added: "I am sure that is one of the main reasons Carlos Tevez didn't stay at the club, and also why Darren Bent refused to sign for West Ham. It was because of the manager.

"He is hard to get on with. He doesn't have much banter; he is serious all the time, he keeps himself to himself and doesn't get involved - very old school."

Comments

• What a little tosser.

I think we all know Curbs' man-management failings, but where would Konch be without him?
  • Sour grapes from somebody who thinks he is better than he is and doesn't like being told a few home truths.
  • Well, Konch has never been the sharpest knife in the draw......
  • Personally, I'm tempted to think he's right.
  • What a mug - I'm sure that's really helped his career , you can just imagine other managers thinking this guy seems like a good professional. Typical jumped up prick from Barking.
  • Don't disagree but on the other hand at least he speaks his mind and says what he thinks. Also evidence suggests that he may be right. He not the first to criticise Curbs after leaving by any means.
  • I suspect the Curbometer has a surprisingly (some might say) low reading from Addicks fans this year.
  • [cite]Posted By: jimmymelrose[/cite]Don't disagree but on the other hand at least he speaks his mind and says what he thinks. Also evidence suggests that he may be right. He not the first to criticise Curbs after leaving by any means.

He might be right, but without Curbs, where would Konch be now?
  • England's left back of course, ;-)
  • west ham fan i know was slagging konch off at bolton away last year and next thing konch's parents were having a pop at him for having a go at their son saying 'they were sick and tired of the abuse their son received thru his career' then the mum said ' sven was gonna be their new manager soon according to her son' ..... poor old konchesky was in for a rude awakening....
    definitely a challenger for the worst ever england international
    how any true charlton fan can slag off sir alan for what he achieved at our club i'll never know , without him we'd probably be mid table chaff in the championship and drawing with the likes of scunthorpe.... ooops!!
  • Sponsored links:

• His mum and dad used to sit in front of us when he first got in the team.When we played Dagenham and Redbridge they took offence to us slagging them off because Paul Terry their future son in law was playing.I'm afraid that goes with the job,if you don't want to hear it don't go.
  • That article also did say that when Konchesky left west ham, him and curbs had agreed to keep their feud quiet but then he felt he had to say something after the public attack this week from the Chairman. I dont know if any of you read that? about how they had to get rid of him, reo coker and harewood as they were bad eggs etc. So I dont blame him to be honest, just sticking up for himself, i would do the same.
  • He wasn't that bad an international, but perhaps being a left back helped him, there is a big queue ahead of him though, Carlton Palmer etc..
  • Talking about this yesterday to a Hammer Scammer mate of mine, he reckons Konchesky is simply responding to accusations of being lumped together with the 'Baby Bentley, dressing room unrest' players by Curbishley and the Egghead. And that his comments should be taken in that context.But evertone knows that Konch and Curbs don't get on.

Konch never appeared to have a problem with Curbishley until after that England debut when, prompted by his agent, he insisted he would only play left back. Curbs and the whole world knew that he was positionally suspect there - and was far more effective playing in midfield.

And that's when they fell out. Konch was transfer listed and loaned to Spurs - and played for 3 months there .... in midfield. Even then, the penny didn't drop. Back at Charlton, Konch tried to reason with Curbs to play him left back - but Curbs will not reason with any player (ask Greg Shields, Jason Euell, Danny Murphy, Francis Jeffers, Talal El Karkouri and I'm sure many others that never made the press) and there the feud simmered.

It was Konchesky's worst nightmare when Curbs got the job at Upton Valley and by then they had one thoroughly demoralised player on their hands.

I'm sure it's an open secret in football that Curbs can be difficult to work with, and if you cross him then there's usually no way back. But he's not the only manager like that.

Konchesky is not very bright, that's for sure.

He was a guaranteed starter for Charlton at left side midfield, often earning rave reviews - and as that was England's problem position at the time, he may well have found himself included in the international squad in any case.

Secondly, football is a small world. It's a wise man who knows when to keep his own counsel. Konchesky should think ahead to how his comments could affect his future. Not very clever, is he?
  • [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Konch never appeared to have a problem with Curbishley until after that England debut when, prompted by his agent, he insisted he would only play left back.

I could be wrong - but I think that at that time his agent was one Mr A Mills...
  • Curbs mentor and best freind in Managment is one Sir Alex Fergusson... another one that you shouldn't cross just ask Beckham, Van Nistelroy, Stam and now Heinze. It's an old school management style and it's worked for him.

Konch was never the brightest, when he was interviewed on Football Focus a few years ago with Parker, they were both asked "where do you see yourself in a couple of years". Parker replied with a safe towing the line eager not to upset anyone -"improving as a player and plying in the England side" Konch imediately replied " playing for Manchester United or Liverpool"... might be what he was thinking but my god it showed how brain dead he was.
  • Konch isn't the sharpest and probably hasn't done himself any favours but it wouldn't surprise me if a lot of what he has said is true.
  • curbs, curbs curbs curbs!

Well i find myself absolutly hating this geezer the more he carries on being the whammies manager! I must admit he did wonders for our club but can i hate him now please?? He is dour, boring, and all konch has said sums up my views! Although i hate konch too, he is a dick but i make him right if indeed he did say these things!
  • Well, MCS, that's a candid opinion of the once great man.

Despite Curbs' lack of personality, player feuds, and often dour tactics - I used to refer to him as Alan Cautiously - I was very much pro-Curbs because I couldn't really see who would take his place.

But I was quite relieved when Murray very nicely, very gently pushed Curbs. It was time for change but then at the time I didn't anticipate how last season was going to turn out.

With all respect to his achievement in rebuilding plucky little Charlton into a stable, mid-table side - I've got to admit I don't much care for him these days. But it seems nor do many others, both players and supporters.

And as for Konchesky, if only he could see the big picture of what he sees and what he says........
  • I get really fed up with all the praise Curbs gets about the job he done at Charlton.
    Yeah, he done alright, but most of my thanks for the last few years go to the board and the directors of the club.
    They are the real reason we had had success in recent times.
    Curbs was ok, good sometimes but he wouldnt have done anything if it wasnt for the support of the board.

He's no where near as good as he thinks or the media make him out to be.
  • Sponsored links:

• It took us three goes to find a halfway decent replacement, though - must tell you something?
  • first one was an ego trip - lets get one over Tango man,

second one, well, i still think Reed would be a good manager but the pressure was too much ad he couldnt handle it.

Got it right with Pardew though!
  • [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]It took us three goes to find a halfway decent replacement, though - must tell you something?

I always thought that a lot of the problems started with the Boards obsession with getting a "management structure" rather than just getting the best manager.

In respect of curbishley, I'd have far fonder memories of him had he gone 2-3 seasons sooner rather than stay when it was pretty obvious that his passion and enthusiasm had gone.
  • [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]It took us three goes to find a halfway decent replacement, though - must tell you something?

Well said Weegie!

I cannot understand the stick Curbs gets from some people.

He did what he had to do to keep us in the Premiership.

Subsequent events have shown what an achievement that was as it only took a season to unravel once he left.
  • I'd have far more time for him if I hadn't wasted £15 on his boring book!

Seriously, agree with Barn Door, should've gone 3 seasons earlier. Watching that dire football week in week out left a sour taste for me and unfortunately he was never the easiest of people to love either. I respect what he did for the club but would also have liked him to have been a little more magnanimous about what the club did for him.

Overall though, the man will go down in history as a Charlton legend..................and deservedly so.
  • Beg to differ Len, though I take your point. I'm no unreasonable Curb's basher, but things haven't unravelled, at least not completely, since he left. Yes, we were relegated and a quite a few have suffered real consequences because of it (staff, women's team, Off it and his bird shite). We've lost some of our best players too.

But some things are better and the core of our success (The VALLEY, the board, the community schemes, the marketing and, most important of all, the fans etc.) are still here. There's an energy which, so long as we go back up sooner rather than later, may be good for us. It's come at a great cost, but it is reinvigorating the club. And that's what Curb's couldn't do. It all went stale. And, in my opinion, we'll need that energy if we are to go onto the "next level" (cup finals, Europe).
  • Good point, LoOkOut. As you say, there IS an energy that is reinvigorating the club - and Curbs couldn't do it in the end.
    Despite being in the CCC this year, there'a definitely a feeling of renaissence around..........
  • What a prize pillock. The manager is not there to be liked and he should not be best mates with the players. Konch mentions how it was all different under Pards. Well, for me the jury is out on Pards man-management skills. I believe that Pards did get too close to the players and that made it difficult for him when the Argies where parachuted in without his say so. I hope he has learned his lesson.

My best mate is a West Ham fan and he says that Konch under Pards had half a good season in the prem. The rest of the tine he was total crap. Konch's problem is that he just aint as good a footballer or judge of things as he thinks he is.
  • [cite]Posted By: LoOkOuT[/cite]
    But some things are better and the core of our success (The VALLEY, the board, the community schemes, the marketing and, most important of all, the fans etc.) are still here. There's an energy which, so long as we go back up sooner rather than later, may be good for us. It's come at a great cost, but it is reinvigorating the club. And that's what Curb's couldn't do. It all went stale. And, in my opinion, we'll need that energy if we are to go onto the "next level" (cup finals, Europe).

Great points Lookie, all that needs sorting now is the away support.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]I believe that Pards did get too close to the players and that made it difficult for him when the Argies where parachuted in without his say so. I hope he has learned his lesson.
    .[/quote]

Don't think that this will be a problem. I don't know how Wham go about things - they like to be flash - but our new players normally arrive by car.