Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Konch - "Nobody likes Curbishley, he's an idiot"

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2007
    [cite]Posted By: InspectorSands[/cite]What a little tosser.

I think we all know Curbs' man-management failings, but where would Konch be without him?

Do we Inspector? We know alot of bollocks from the press presumably fuelled by players who failed to get on with him. Is that his problem or theirs. People like Kiely, Robbo, Brownie, PDC, Parker, Sir Chris speak highly of him.

On the debit side there's Konch, the Scouse Tosser and who else?

Sure his mentor is SIr Alex but what is wrong with that?
  • Options
    you generally find that in every squad they're are 11 players that think the manager is great, and another batch that don't. Football management is about making tough calls that will upset players, they're not there to make friends, they're there to get results.

Everyone's methods are different and Curbs way got results with us, saved West Ham at the end of the season, and will see them go on and have a good season this year. He is not the greatest manager in the world, which is why his CV is Charlton and West Ham, and not Manu U, but he is by no means the worst.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LoOkOuT[/cite]Beg to differ Len, though I take your point. I'm no unreasonable Curb's basher, but things haven't unravelled, at least not completely, since he left. Yes, we were relegated and a quite a few have suffered real consequences because of it (staff, women's team, Off it and his bird shite). We've lost some of our best players too.

But some things are better and the core of our success (The VALLEY, the board, the community schemes, the marketing and, most important of all, the fans etc.) are still here. There's an energy which, so long as we go back up sooner rather than later, may be good for us. It's come at a great cost, but it is reinvigorating the club. And that's what Curb's couldn't do. It all went stale. And, in my opinion, we'll need that energy if we are to go onto the "next level" (cup finals, Europe).

Did it all go stale because of Curbs or because the board took him for granted a bit too much? What if Curbs had been told that he could spend the Dowie inheritance? What if some of the grunt work he had to do; scouting, transfers etc were taken off his shoulders like apparently it has been now at West Ham? Perhaps he was allowed to go stale?

I am not saying he was perfect and for me his biggest failing was allowing the well of young talent to dry up. However maybe the shear workload, the "red eye" flights back from Europe after watching potential signings etc took too much of a toll on him and he he had less energy for ensuring that all footballing aspects of the club, not just the first team, were performing to the highest level?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: jimmymelrose[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]I believe that Pards did get too close to the players and that made it difficult for him when the Argies where parachuted in without his say so. I hope he has learned his lesson.

Don't think that this will be a problem. I don't know how Wham go about things - they like to be flash - but our new players normally arrive by car.

Didn't you see Tevez land on the Upton Park pitch with claret and blue smoke coming out of his arse?.....:-)
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    That's innovative. Most people at Wham talk out of it. Perhaps because he hadn't learnt the lingo.
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]you generally find that in every squad they're are 11 players that think the manager is great, and another batch that don't. Football management is about making tough calls that will upset players, they're not there to make friends, they're there to get results.

Everyone's methods are different and Curbs way got results with us, saved West Ham at the end of the season, and will see them go on and have a good season this year. He is not the greatest manager in the world, which is why his CV is Charlton and West Ham, and not Manu U, but he is by no means the worst.

I agree with most of that AFKA. Your comment about him not being the best manager in the world echoes a quote I heard from Richard Murray circa 2002 when asked about Curbs, he said something like "He may noy be the best manager in the world but he is the perfect one for Charlton Athletic". That was then but even though things did not quite kick on as he and we had hoped in his later years, I still believe that to be true and why a club of our relatively modest resources stayed, for so long in the top flight. Clearly the time came for a change. We now have a bloke at the helm who has all of us behind him. He's made some bold and exciting new signings. If they work and we retake our place at the top table and stay there: if we finish regularly in the top half and our dream of Wembley finals come true, then I will elevate Pards to top of my list. Until that happens Curbs will occupy that place, just above Jimmy and Lennie.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]Until that happens Curbs will occupy that place, just above Cory, Jimmy and Lennie.

Don't think Gibbo has done much to deserve that praise yet bing, but otherwise I make you right.
  • Options
    Afka, i dont really think it was curbs that saved west ham! It was a little argie who can play!
  • Options
    one player don't save a team MCS, everyone plays their part
  • Options
    but if west ham had got relegated it would've been curbs fault
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]It took us three goes to find a halfway decent replacement, though - must tell you something?

Well said Weegie!

I cannot understand the stick Curbs gets from some people.

He did what he had to do to keep us in the Premiership.

Subsequent events have shown what an achievement that was as it only took a season to unravel once he left.

Sorry Len but we were relegation candidates long before curbishley left.
  • Options
    and how close did we actually get to relegation??? 47 points in curbs last season ffs
  • Options
    My point is that were already a club on a decline and in my view it is naive to think that our problems only began when Dowie took over.
  • Options
    bing's point earlier about brownie and a few others respecting curbs is wrong. thats according to brownie who didnt really have a nice word to say about him.
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    In Curbs' last season we started off on fire, winning our first five away games, he then appears to have lost the players (quite literally in the cases of Murphy and Smertin) and from about November we were in solid relegation form - I bet in the second half of the season only Sunderland did worse than us. I firmly believe we would have been relegated under Curbs, his job was done and his time was up, he knew it and wisely moved on.

I am more than happy with where we find ourselves now.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Salad[/cite]I am more than happy with where we find ourselves now.[/quote]
    each to their own but mid table championship and 8 games without a win is hardly inspiring
  • Options
    lol
  • Options
    wonder how many years we are going to keep having this Curbs debate....
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]wonder how many years we are going to keep having this Curbs debate....

There seems to be a mentality amongst some that to praise Curbs is somehow disloyal to Pards and that Curbs is to blame for where we are now.

I strongly disagree with both those viewpoints so all the time people express them I will chip in defending Curbs.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]There seems to be a mentality amongst some that to praise Curbs is somehow disloyal to Pards and that Curbs is to blame for where we are now.

Len that has bugger all to do with it. Remember alot of charlton didnt like curbs as much as you and ooooh aaaah mortimer, so now he has left, and gone west ham, who was relegation rivals, he made a couple of shots about our away support and without one world class player they would of gone down cos he aint that good a manager!

If he had of stayed i am sure we still would of dropped!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think ultimately we will find out how good a Manager Curbishley was/is by how comparitevly well/not so well he does with West Ham & whoever he manages next.

From what I have seen at West Ham he is still a Manager that can have very long bad runs that he finds difficult to break. Although his run to keep them up at the end was Curbs at his brilliant best.
  • Options
    Come on troops, we have had this debate a million times already and I doubt anyone has been persuaded from their original POV.

Curbs has not been our manager for well over a year so lets move on and worry about what's ahead not what's been and gone!!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]I think ultimately we will find out how good a Manager Curbishley was/is by how comparitevly well/not so well he does with West Ham & whoever he manages next.

From what I have seen at West Ham he is still a Manager that can have very long bad runs that he finds difficult to break. Although his run to keep them up at the end was Curbs at his brilliant best.
    the problem is is that he will never EVER get as much time with another club as he did at Charlton. Despite us milling around in the lower echelons of the second tier for many years the board stuck buy him and let him manage the club.

Modern day football is not like that anymore. If West Ham finish 9th or below this season then he will be up for the chop, i have no doubt about that.
  • Options
    I honestly don't think he'll finish the season as West Ham manager.
  • Options
    I recall PV at a CA meeting saying Curbs was integral to the clubs 20 year plan - just Curbs did not realise this.. not that I blame Curbs for wanting out.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: PassItToLeaburn[/cite]I honestly don't think he'll finish the season as West Ham manager.
    wouldn't surprise me
  • Options
    curbishley will be the greatest Charlton manager in most of our lifetimes( just pips lennie imo ).....don't give a flying fcuk what he does at west ham or wherever else but he achieved miracles with us ..... until someone comes a long and keeps us in the top flight of football for more than seven years then no one will have achieved what he has....i'd love pardew to do it but he''s achieved nothing(except relegation) for us YET, all his management successes have been elsewhere and i don't care about that cos it's all about what happens at OUR club
  • Options
    I recently bought Neil Redfearn's biography, interesting read and he rated Curbs above anyone else.
  • Options
    Fair comment, Charley but Redfearn was at the Valley 9 seasons ago.

Mr Curbishley hadn't fallen out with anyone yet, in those days.........
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]curbishley will be the greatest Charlton manager in most of our lifetimes( just pips lennie imo ).....don't give a flying fcuk what he does at west ham or wherever else but he achieved miracles with us ..... until someone comes a long and keeps us in the top flight of football for more than seven years then no one will have achieved what he has....i'd love pardew to do it but he''s achieved nothing(except relegation) for us YET, all his management successes have been elsewhere and i don't care about that cos it's all about what happens at OUR club

More than seven years?

Who's that bloke - Mr South Stand I think....eeer?