Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic v Wigan Athletic | Tuesday 9 April 24 | Match Preview, Prediction, News & Views

Charlton Athletic v Wigan Athletic
Tuesday 9th April 2024
Kick-Off: 19:45

Referee
Lee Swabey - Previously officiated a Charlton match back at the start of the season away at Peterborough United where we lost 1-0. Swabey booked 10 players that day, both sides receiving 5 yellow cards.

Introduction
11 games unbeaten including picking up 8 points from the four clubs we have faced in the play-off positions, life under Nathan Jones is starting to feel like we might be getting our club back. As the season draws a close, this run of form has pulled us away from any danger of relegation with the win on Saturday against Barnsley means we reached the 50 point mark. A miserable season it has been, but with results, fight, and goals from the top scorer in the league, it feels like we could be onto something next season. Next up, we play our penultimate game at The Valley, and officially my last preview of the season, Wigan Athletic travel down to South East London. 

Opposition
Stadium: DW Stadium
Manager: Shaun Maloney
Nickname(s): The Lactics
Form: WLWDLD
Previous result: A 0-0 draw at home with Port Vale. Their line up was:
Tickle
Kerr - Goode - Hughes
Smith - Smith - Adeeko - Sessegnon
McManaman - Godo - Aasgaard

In their last 3 games, Wigan have drew with Burton, lost to Cambridge and drew with Port Vale. The Latics season is well and truly over. Since the turn of the year they have picked up 26 points from 18 games, and 18 of those points have been won at home. Shaun Maloney's record as a manager is well... mediocre. A win percentage of 35.2% with pretty much as many wins as losses. Although very early into his managerial career, he is not someone who I can see taking Wigan forward into a challenging, promotion chasing side next season. It'll be interesting to see how and where Wigan finish this season with their next 3 fixtures all away from home - Charlton, Lincoln, and Portsmouth, before finishing the season at home to Bristol Rovers.

Ex Charlton players is a feature too for Wigan with Ben Amos, Sean Clare, Steven Sessegnon, and the infamous Matt Smith all now plying their trade in the North West. They do have a couple of standouts though, one for name and the other for potential/ability. Callum McManaman turns 33 this month and returned to Wigan in the summer. The winger started his career with the Latics and won The FA Cup with them back in 2013. Big things were expected for the youngster at the time and a move to West Bromwich followed. Unfortunately for him, he didn't reach the levels people had thought he might. However, it will still be an interesting battle down that side against Small if he is to start again on Tuesday evening.

The other player is one I have mentioned before. Thelo Aasgaard is a Norwegian U21 international, another who came through Wigan's academy. The right footed midfielder is very attack minded and can operate across the front line. Light on his feet with and without the ball, Aasgaard has the ability to skip passed players and pick a pass.  At almost 22 years of age, he has huge potential to grow and become a very good player, someone who will comfortably play at Championship level for many years. With 8 goals from midfield in the league this season, including one against us on Halloween last year, to me he is their biggest threat. 

Charlton Team News
With almost a fully fit/available squad to choose from, it'll be interesting to see how many, if any, changes Nathan Jones makes to a winning side. We know he prefers a midfield three of Dobson, Coventry and Anderson, and we know he likes his front two to chase and press high, meaning Kanu and May start most games. I think he would be tempted to, if he can, to keep the same team. The danger to that is of course, can Ramsay start two games in quick succession after we heard he could only do about 30 minutes at the weekend. With Lloyd Jones back, we have all our central defenders available. I will be interested to see who plays between now and the end of the season.

Wickham also returns after what will be a month out from an impressive cameo on his debut against Carlisle. The big, experienced striker will surely offer more than Ladapo and for that, I'd like to see him on the bench.

Campbell came on and done well, winning the penalty at the end of the game. I've got to say it's the most he's contributed since Jones came in a couple of months ago, but it was positive and nice to see that pace late on. I do think what lets him down is that in his short career, he's played in about 6 different positions. His time at the club might be over in the summer, and if it is, I hope he goes somewhere and plays in a position regularly as he will need it to be able to find that consistent level of performance. If he stays, it'll be interesting to see how and where he fits.

Isted
Thomas - Hector - Gillesphey
Ramsay - Dobson - Coventry - Small
Anderson
Kanu - May

Maynard-Brewer, REG, Jones, Bakinson, Campbell, Wickham, Aneke

Charlton Athletic 2-0 Wigan Athletic
May
Kanu

Comments

• Options
    Good preview. Definitely feeling positive after the Barnsley game as we were pretty poor in the 3 games prior to that. Expect us to win this one against an out of form Wigan with nothing to play for.

I like Campbell and I think he has potential to be a decent player. If we are going to prioritise a system with no wingers though, it's best he moves on to further his career rather than making out of position cameo appearances for us.
  • Options
    I’d keep the same line up as last time and tell the others it’s up to them to take their chances when they come and win their place. There were some in that line up I thought might be on their way and weren’t what we need for next season if we do want to challenge for promotion but they changed my mind on Saturday. I’m one of those Addicks fans that like Bakinson and would be happy to see him stay so playing him makes a lot of sense but I’d rather we now be putting youth players on the bench rather than loan players unless Nathan is thinking about keeping them as well.
  • Options
    follett said:
    Good preview. Definitely feeling positive after the Barnsley game as we were pretty poor in the 3 games prior to that. Expect us to win this one against an out of form Wigan with nothing to play for.

I like Campbell and I think he has potential to be a decent player. If we are going to prioritise a system with no wingers though, it's best he moves on to further his career rather than making out of position cameo appearances for us.
    I don’t think we can go into next season and think that we are exclusively a 352 team .  It would be limiting not to have a single side player in the squad . 
  • Options
    edited April 8
    Good preview as usual! I would, however, like to see Lua Lua in the 18, perhaps in place of Campbell as an end of season game. I just want to see what he can do, or what, if anything he has left to offer.
  • Options
    edited April 8
    I think for the first time in ages we start this game as favourites. In my eyes at least. Probably  depends who wants it most which ought to be us and with home advantage I can see us narrowly winning this. 2 - 1 
  • Options
    Should rest Dobson and see a bit more what Bakinson could offer imo
    Why ? He’s not our player .  I’d rather give Taylor a run out if we think we are safe 
  • Options
    A win and clean sheet would be great.
  • Options
    Tickle the Wigan keeper 😀
  • Options
    I think ideally with Campbell is he signs a new deal and goes on loan somewhere.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Will this be the last UK Charlton TV game. I'm not sure what's been agreed going forward.
  • Options
    1-1
  • Options
    Like to see a few changes .. its nice to have a game where it don’t really matter the outcome but a great chance to see a bit more of the squad .. Casey on the bench would be good , 

1-1 draw , Wigan seem to be on the beach already 
  • Options
    I think Watson will come in for Ramsay. With what Jones said post match it was a rest for Watson due to fatigue rather than an injury - they are hoping that means he can play full games rather than needing to come off early as he has of late and Ramsay was only supposed to play 30 mins but they pushed it to 60 to give Tannai a rest a. So Ramsay will likely need to sit this one out as he is eased back in.

Alternatively I quite liked the slightly lop sided back 5 we played with REG at RWB as it allowed small to be further up the pitch and in the absence of Chuks he is probably our best physical presence in attack so allowing him to arrive late at the far post will help us.
  • Options
    COYR 
  • Options
    swordfish said:
    Will this be the last UK Charlton TV game. I'm not sure what's been agreed going forward.
    Will Wycombe not be available seeing as it’s a 12.30pm kick off?
  • Options
    Is Josh Magennis injured ? 
  • Options
    Not advisable. Free kick against and a yellow card.
  • Options
    Had to check that was the same McManaman. 

If you’d asked me what his age was before I just googled it I would have said about 82, not 32!
  • Options
    He wasn’t in the squad on Saturday but played on Monday against Cambridge where he completed his first 90 minutes of the season. To be completely honest, I’d forgot he even played for us we’ve had so many players over the last however many years!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Not advisable. Free kick against and a yellow card.
    Worth it for a giggle. 
  • Options
    Unlikely but would be lovely if we could get to a place by the end of the season where Wickham can start and chucks finish a game.
  • Options
    Sage said:
    He wasn’t in the squad on Saturday but played on Monday against Cambridge where he completed his first 90 minutes of the season. To be completely honest, I’d forgot he even played for us we’ve had so many players over the last however many years!
    Scored own goal against Portsmouth 25th Anniversary match Back to The Valley. We lost 0-1 back in 2017.
  • Options
    I doubt that Ramsey will start and, if Watson is also rested, it would be good to see Asiimwe get a run out, as he is useful going forward down the right and can combine well with Anderson and Kanu. I can't see Nathan Jones making many, if any, other changes if everyone is fit after Saturday. I expect there'll be liberal use of substitutions and that we'll see the like of Bakinson, Edmonds-Green and Aneke enter the fray at some stage.

I expect a decision has been made on Camara and I assume that Terry Taylor is not match fit.
  • Options
    Time to rest Dobbo, would like to see Terry Taylor if he is sufficiently fit. No point bringing in any loan players who will be going back in just over 2 weeks’ time. 

Am I right in thinking we only have two more shots at a double over a team this season? Wigan and/or Wycombe? Hopefully both, but I think Wigan more likely - 2-1. 
  • Options
    Has the decision to stop Charlton TV been confirmed? I assume there will still be international streaming via Ifollow?
  • Options
    Fancy us for a good 3-1 win 
    COYR 😎 
  • Options
    follett said:
    Has the decision to stop Charlton TV been confirmed? I assume there will still be international streaming via Ifollow?
    https://www.skysports.com/amp/football/news/21564/12873679/sky-sports-agrees-new-five-year-efl-deal-over-1000-matches-per-season

From the 2024/25 season onward, this agreement makes more matches available to stream and will effectively replace the current Sky Sports EFL red button coverage and the EFL's domestic streaming option provided via iFollow and club streaming services. Domestic streaming audio services will remain alongside existing audio-visual arrangements for international audiences via iFollow and club streaming services.