Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Alfie May? What's he worth?

Here we are approaching the season end with Alfie top of the L1 Golden Boot table...... not wanting to prejudge this but hope he wins it and thoroughly deserves it.
But what's he  worth to us......... and other teams? I think he has 1 year on his contract left (experts please correct me......) so do you offer a new contract now at what % increase in wages???? or wait abit longer?? if offers come in over the summer other L1 teams- what's he worth? If Championship sides come in for him well the price goes up doesn't it??? And could it unsettle him? Maybe his only chance to play at a higher level? Would  he play on with the current contract and hope for a big move in January 2025?

My guess for L1 he's value would be. about £1million now. For championship side up to £2mill?
Should we double his wages to keep him at the Valley?

Comments

• Options
    Age is the main Caveat
  • Options
    I think he suffers as being a smaller striker who needs to play in a 2. So many teams play 433 or 4231 these days, and he doesn't fit those formations.

His record for a struggling Cheltenham was amazing, yet he didn't get much interest last summer, hence we were able to get him for an affordable fee.
  • Options
    If a team had £££ and wanted to guarantee goals next season in L1, they could bid approx £1.5m for him to test us. We seem less of a basketcaseclub so I expect to keep hold of Alfie, with our main motivation being "the project".
  • Options
    One of those players where offers would never match his value because of his age. 

We wouldn't sell him unless it was in the 7 figures and I doubt anyone would offer close to that. 
  • Options
    His value to us will far outweigh what a team would pay for him solely due to his age. I really think it would take a ridiculous offer for us to sell and I can't see any club doing that. Also helps that he loves being here and the location is perfect for him and his family (back close to extended family and friends).
  • Options
    According to my Fotmob app he is worth $82,000. I share this mainly because every time I see it, it hugely pisses me off that apps like this spout such nonsense and I don’t think I should suffer alone😉
    Thank you for sharing!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Genuine question- How do these 1yr options work? Surely can't be enforced if a player wants to go?
  • Options

Genuine question- How do these 1yr options work? Surely can't be enforced if a player wants to go?
    I imagine the FA wouldn't hand the registration of the player over to another team unless there was a transfer between them. 

So you could refuse to play, but probably not sign for another club. Happens in the NFL sometimes. 
  • Options

If it is a club option (which in this case it is) then the club can trigger it without any consent from the player. 
  • Options
    His value to us will far outweigh what a team would pay for him solely due to his age. I really think it would take a ridiculous offer for us to sell and I can't see any club doing that. Also helps that he loves being here and the location is perfect for him and his family (back close to extended family and friends).
    I'm sure you're right on the fee but what would happen if a Championship team offered him double or even treble the wages he's getting here?

All the power is with the players today. If he really wanted to go, the contract we have with him is worthless if he says he's going to down tools, be a problem around the club and stop trying. (Not saying he would do that for a moment as he doesn't seem the type but his career is coming towards the end and a big payday before he retires must be attractive)
  • Options
    I'd like to see a calculation of the (hindsight) payback analysis from not signing Alfie around 5/6 years ago, while wasting money on awful loans, substandard and injured forwards.
  • Options
    What he’s worth right now isn’t relevant because he isn’t leaving. 
  • Options

I imagine the FA wouldn't hand the registration of the player over to another team unless there was a transfer between them. 

So you could refuse to play, but probably not sign for another club. Happens in the NFL sometimes. 
    Ray Crawford? remember that  pre Bosman, pre-history!
  • Options
    I hope you're right
    Even if another club offered proper money for him, replacing his goals would cost us far more
    What can't be ruled out is the value to AM of an offer, maybe to play Championship football next season.  Portsmouth haven't been throwing money around lately, Derby probably can't afford to but Bolton might.  If a player gets a life changing offer, Charlton ain't gonna stand in his way, not least because it's counter productive, even the best intentioned most loyal players always have their clubs over a barrel when moneybags clubs come a-calling.
  • Options

From reading a previous thread it seems like he was sacked, so slightly different. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    mendonca said:
    I'd like to see a calculation of the (hindsight) payback analysis from not signing Alfie around 5/6 years ago, while wasting money on awful loans, substandard and injured forwards.
    He’d have been another substandard signing had we signed him 5/6 years ago. This is only his 3rd season of scoring regularly in the EFL.

• Options
    He's worth more to us than anyone would be willing to pay due to his age.

Not worried in the slightest about losing him in the summer. 
  • Options
    The only priority for next season is gaining promotion. Alfie has proved beyond any doubt that he has goals in him and that’s been with an indifferent team around him. He’ll hopefully have better service and support next season. He’ll score goals which we’ll need. His age means that no team with real money to spend will pay anything more than £500k for him and it’ll cost at least as much to replace him. TBH I’m more concerned about a PL bid coming in for Kanu.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    mendonca said:
    He’d have been another substandard signing had we signed him 5/6 years ago. This is only his 3rd season of scoring regularly in the EFL.

True - he would have missed 58 goals for 3 seasons of ACL/Tibia/MCL/Shoulder injuries with us, no doubt!
  • Options
    Priceless.
  • Options
    Hope he's worth a lot less than our owners value him at
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    I just asked him.  He’s happy here.  Next topic please 
    Did you ask him how much he thinks he is worth?
  • Options

From reading a previous thread it seems like he was sacked, so slightly different. 
    My recollection is that the club held on to his registration after  a dispute and he didn't want to play for us.
    In effect we made him unemployable , curtailed his entitlement to work as other clubs couldn't sign him
  • Options
    Billy_Mix said:
    I hope you're right
    Even if another club offered proper money for him, replacing his goals would cost us far more
    What can't be ruled out is the value to AM of an offer, maybe to play Championship football next season.  Portsmouth haven't been throwing money around lately, Derby probably can't afford to but Bolton might.  If a player gets a life changing offer, Charlton ain't gonna stand in his way, not least because it's counter productive, even the best intentioned most loyal players always have their clubs over a barrel when moneybags clubs come a-calling.
    Exactly