Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• Options
    No mention what it will cost to fans. A lot of games covered but I calculate just under 45% of League 1 games and just under 60% of Championship games 

Unlikely to get the same pre match build up and unlikely to Curbs/Minto/Brownie et al
  • Options
    Audio still looks available to clubs
  • Options
    should be OK for "international" viewing - shouldn't it??????
  • Options
    So less Saturday 3pm games? No dedicated Charlton commentary? 
  • Options
    Think you are right for international, although not 100% clear. However may be problematic for the 55% of games not covered by Sky.

Charlton can provide an audio service of it's own for all games. 
  • Options
    Also reading between the lines, there may be more non 3 pm Saturday games. However I expect this will affect Championship clubs more than League 1. 
  • Options

...if only!!
  • Options
    edited April 12
    There will definitely be less 3pm games... How many there are exactly remains to be seen

The previous deal allowed Sky to show 138 games in the entirety of the EFL

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65167442

For context, there will be 552 games in the whole of a League One season (not sure if that includes Play-Offs)

Just under 50% of those games will be shown on TV next season
  • Options
    And what about the current ban on live games on Saturday afternoons? If that holds then about half of league one matches not 3pm Saturdays. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Each League weekend fixture round will see 10 live EFL fixtures shown. Five matches will be shown from the Sky Bet Championship and supporters of Sky Bet League One and League Two teams will now benefit from greater coverage than ever before with five of their games being broadcast live. For the first time ever, fans will be also able to watch every match from the Carabao Cup and EFL Trophy.

Trying to do some maths in my head, that's 5 Championship and 5 League 1/2 games per weekend. So 5 out of 24 games across the two divisions. So about one game in 5 moved away from the 3pm Saturday slot. That's more than the current deal, but doesn't seem ridiculous. A lot of the broadcast games will be the midweeks and the final weekend, which already gets moved. The opening weekend being broadcast is new so that's a game that will be re-timed that isn't currently.

My first reaction is I can live with 1 game in 5 being moved, and some of our local non-league clubs may see a bit of a boost in attendances into the bargain. Much more disruptive in the Championship where it's 5 games out of 12 each week.
  • Options
    kentred2 said:
    And what about the current ban on live games on Saturday afternoons? If that holds then about half of league one matches not 3pm Saturdays. 
    That ban remains - So the 3pm KO is pretty much dead... they might as well remove the Black Out at this stage

All thats pretty much doing now, is creating more inconvenient Kick-Off times for travelling Supporters
  • Options
    Yes

Domestic Streaming
    From the 2024/25 season onward, this agreement makes more matches available to stream and will effectively replace the current Sky Sports EFL red button coverage and the EFL's domestic streaming option provided via iFollow and club streaming services. Domestic streaming audio services will remain alongside existing audio-visual arrangements for international audiences via iFollow and club streaming services.
    If it's still available for international viewing then couldn't people in England just watch the games not on sky via a VPN? 
  • Options
    edited April 12
    Yes

Domestic Streaming
    From the 2024/25 season onward, this agreement makes more matches available to stream and will effectively replace the current Sky Sports EFL red button coverage and the EFL's domestic streaming option provided via iFollow and club streaming services. Domestic streaming audio services will remain alongside existing audio-visual arrangements for international audiences via iFollow and club streaming services.
    If it's still available for international viewing then couldn't people in England just watch the games not on sky via a VPN? 
    You'd imagine so - Guess how that looks will remain to be seen

Will probably just be a case of any Charlton game not on SKY being shown via the single Camera iFollow feed.
  • Options
    Each League weekend fixture round will see 10 live EFL fixtures shown. Five matches will be shown from the Sky Bet Championship and supporters of Sky Bet League One and League Two teams will now benefit from greater coverage than ever before with five of their games being broadcast live. For the first time ever, fans will be also able to watch every match from the Carabao Cup and EFL Trophy.

Trying to do some maths in my head, that's 5 Championship and 5 League 1/2 games per weekend. So 5 out of 24 games across the two divisions. So about one game in 5 moved away from the 3pm Saturday slot. That's more than the current deal, but doesn't seem ridiculous. A lot of the broadcast games will be the midweeks and the final weekend, which already gets moved. The opening weekend being broadcast is new so that's a game that will be re-timed that isn't currently.

My first reaction is I can live with 1 game in 5 being moved, and some of our local non-league clubs may see a bit of a boost in attendances into the bargain. Much more disruptive in the Championship where it's 5 games out of 12 each week.
    OK - I'd missed where it said that all games on international weekends will be broadcast. So it's actually those, plus the opening weekend, plus the final weekend (which is already moved) and 1 in 5 of the rest of the Saturday games. 
  • Options
    With the substantial increase in the number of live matches, Sky Sports and the EFL will introduce a new commitment for clubs and fans which will provide longer notice periods on TV selections. The defined notice periods will enable clubs and fans to plan further in advance and this will include the placement of all live matches selected for broadcast for the period to FA Cup third round before the start of the season. Greater parity in the number of times that clubs are selected for TV coverage is also guaranteed.

Definitely like the sound of this. We need to see the details, but anything that gives us more notice of games being moved around has to be welcome.
  • Options

OK - I'd missed where it said that all games on international weekends will be broadcast. So it's actually those, plus the opening weekend, plus the final weekend (which is already moved) and 1 in 5 of the rest of the Saturday games. 
    International games can be broadcast at 3pm in the UK anyway. Easter games are also covered in this deal I think 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If we do well next season we could have a very large chunk of games moved for tv. Would expect Wrexham to barely have a Sat 3pm kick off next season
  • Options
    Maybe I need to read it more carefully, but does this mean that live League 1 games will get the full treatment or will it be more of the 'red button' style, with one camera and no replays?

Also, did any other history fans do a double take with the reference to Article 48? I had no idea that was the official name of the blackout. For me, Article 48 will always be the mechanism by which the presidents of Weimar Germany were able to rule by decree, ultimately leading to the end of meaningful democracy in the lead up to Hitler's assumption of power.
  • Options
    The grabbing hands
    Grab all they can
    Everything counts
    In large amounts
  • Options
    Uboat said:
    Maybe I need to read it more carefully, but does this mean that live League 1 games will get the full treatment or will it be more of the 'red button' style, with one camera and no replays?

Also, did any other history fans do a double take with the reference to Article 48? I had no idea that was the official name of the blackout. For me, Article 48 will always be the mechanism by which the presidents of Weimar Germany were able to rule by decree, ultimately leading to the end of meaningful democracy in the lead up to Hitler's assumption of power.

Enhanced production values and camera numbers

The EFL and Sky Sports will continue to work together to innovate, seeking opportunities to improve coverage and take viewers closer to the action, while the EFL will be investing significantly in production infrastructure to enhance the viewing experience. Sky Sports will have a minimum of eight cameras for each game broadcast on existing channels. For matches available to stream, Sky commentary will be provided and a minimum of four cameras will be used at Championship and League One matches, and follett said:

If we do well next season we could have a very large chunk of games moved for tv. Would expect Wrexham to barely have a Sat 3pm kick off next season
     Greater parity in the number of times that clubs are selected for TV coverage is also guaranteed.
    https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12873679/sky-sports-agrees-new-five-year-efl-deal-over-1000-matches-per-season?dm_i=7KND,2T46,8G7XZ,C3I1,1
  • Options
    edited April 12
    redman said:
    No mention what it will cost to fans. A lot of games covered but I calculate just under 45% of League 1 games and just under 60% of Championship games 

Unlikely to get the same pre match build up and unlikely to Curbs/Minto/Brownie et al
    https://www.nowtv.com/sports-purchase

• Options
    Will this be easily available for those that use the Sky Sports app on a tablet? I remember in the Championship, you simply go to the Charlton matchday and there is a play button.
  • Options
    I don’t see how this puts the mockers on CharltonTV at all. That service is an international service at weekends which a fair number of fans perhaps use means to access closer to home. Collectively, that delivers the revenues to maintain it you’d assume, otherwise, it is a loss leader to maintain fan interest perhaps?

Surely, CharltonTV remains but all games including midweeks are now only broadcast internationally, while people choose to do what they choose to do? If revenues dip to an unacceptable level, the service is dead, but until then and having read what the restrictions are, it looks safe to me and I hope it is, as it is an amazing service all round. Scott, Alan and Steve, let alone that Liverpool hat-trick guy 😉 etc., bring to life a very special offering for all die hard Charlton fans. Long live CharltonTV!! 
    Currently a fair few of our games have been available to UK based Addicks. They would provide quite a big extra boost to the revenue take per game. Could make the difference between profit and loss. 
  • Options
    On the face of it I think its the end for Charlton TV as the international revenue almost certainly doesnt cover the cost of the studio, Curbs and co. Absolute shitshow because Charlton TV was Sandgaard's one decent legacy and delivers way beyond what a L1 fanbase might expect. Ought to be an example for others. I’m tempted to call Sky all kinds of bad names but in fact its the club owners who voted for this. Similarly back in 1991, it wasnt Sky pushing for the FAPL to be a separate entity, they just wanted the rights to show first division footie. The wankers were Dein, Sugar & co. Now a new bunch of wankers owning EFL clubs have destroyed something good and sustainable  for the sake of a bit more money to blow on players and make agents rich. 

@Weegie Addick  do you think snything can be done to try and save it?  
    The women's team doing well. No credit for that?
  • Options
    CafcWest said:
    Yes

Domestic Streaming
    I would imagine using a VPN might still work.  I'm not sure the EFL and/or individual clubs worry too much about the use of VPN and probably don't have the resources or know how to block...but I would think Sky will.
    If you're not watching via. a Sky application though... they'll never know