Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

SKY agrees new deal with EFL

Comments

• Options
    I don’t see how this puts the mockers on CharltonTV at all. That service is an international service at weekends which a fair number of fans perhaps use means to access closer to home. Collectively, that delivers the revenues to maintain it you’d assume, otherwise, it is a loss leader to maintain fan interest perhaps?

Surely, CharltonTV remains but all games including midweeks are now only broadcast internationally, while people choose to do what they choose to do? If revenues dip to an unacceptable level, the service is dead, but until then and having read what the restrictions are, it looks safe to me and I hope it is, as it is an amazing service all round. Scott, Alan and Steve, let alone that Liverpool hat-trick guy 😉 etc., bring to life a very special offering for all die hard Charlton fans. Long live CharltonTV!! 
    Currently a fair few of our games have been available to UK based Addicks. They would provide quite a big extra boost to the revenue take per game. Could make the difference between profit and loss. 
    Counter argument (not that I fully agree with it) is that if you can’t watch it on TV because it isn’t picked for Sky then you’re more likely to buy a ticket 
  • Options
    I don’t see how this puts the mockers on CharltonTV at all. That service is an international service at weekends which a fair number of fans perhaps use means to access closer to home. Collectively, that delivers the revenues to maintain it you’d assume, otherwise, it is a loss leader to maintain fan interest perhaps?

Surely, CharltonTV remains but all games including midweeks are now only broadcast internationally, while people choose to do what they choose to do? If revenues dip to an unacceptable level, the service is dead, but until then and having read what the restrictions are, it looks safe to me and I hope it is, as it is an amazing service all round. Scott, Alan and Steve, let alone that Liverpool hat-trick guy 😉 etc., bring to life a very special offering for all die hard Charlton fans. Long live CharltonTV!! 
    Isn’t the difference that there will now be more non-Saturday 3pm kick offs, so the revenue that was being earned from the not-so-international fans (I.e in the U.K., using a VPN) will be lost as those fans can just watch the match on Sky Sports now?
  • Options
    fenaddick said:

Currently a fair few of our games have been available to UK based Addicks. They would provide quite a big extra boost to the revenue take per game. Could make the difference between profit and loss. 
    Counter argument (not that I fully agree with it) is that if you can’t watch it on TV because it isn’t picked for Sky then you’re more likely to buy a ticket 
    Doubtless there will be ups and downs along the way, but in an era of strict revenue-based cost controls your club’s potential will only be achieved with your active support and engagement. That is now what we respectfully request.

The above from the football club on there launch of the 2024/2025 season tickets
  • Options
    clive said:
    Rothko said:
    Wouldn't be surprised if Charlton TV is being propped up by UK viewers via VPN

Would'nt be surprised if Charlton TV is being stolen [watched for free] by the majority of viewers.
    By what means? A VPN alone isn’t enough, is it? You still need to buy a sub, either per game or for a season ticket as in my case and all the International Addicks in the WhatsApp group I’m in.

Firesticks & other illegal methods.
  • Options
    clive said:
    Rothko said:

Would'nt be surprised if Charlton TV is being stolen [watched for free] by the majority of viewers.
    By what means? A VPN alone isn’t enough, is it? You still need to buy a sub, either per game or for a season ticket as in my case and all the International Addicks in the WhatsApp group I’m in.

I would imagine there are tons of viewers (well, relatively speaking) using Firestick to watch without paying. I’m far too honest (well, my wife is far too nervous) for any of that though. 
  • Options
    edited April 12
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    clive said:
    Rothko said:

The true scale of British football’s illegal-streaming problem is far greater than previously estimated, according to new research that raises serious questions about the game’s reliance on media-rights income.

A survey by global research firm YouGov Sport has found that 5.1million adults in England, Scotland and Wales admitted to watching sport via an illegal streaming website, pirated app or modified set-top box in the first six months of 2023.

https://theathletic.com/4792811/2023/08/21/premier-league-illegal-streaming-piracy/

• Options
    edited April 12
    clive said:
    Rothko said:

It probably is - but let’s be realistic…. £10 a game or £40 a year to watch EVERY Charlton game and whatever else you want to watch.
  • Options
    It’s quite likely that I am way behind the curve on this, but someone please explain to me how a Firestick enables you to pick up a broadcast which I suppose is entirely “closed”, which the studio part surely is. I get that the live game action may escape into the wild because it may be part of the IFollow coverage, but not our studio stuff, nobody else can see that, surely? 
  • Options
    It’s quite likely that I am way behind the curve on this, but someone please explain to me how a Firestick enables you to pick up a broadcast which I suppose is entirely “closed”, which the studio part surely is. I get that the live game action may escape into the wild because it may be part of the IFollow coverage, but not our studio stuff, nobody else can see that, surely? 
    is the pre game stuff free on You Tube?

• Options
    Firestick is an app carrying device (just like a mobile), and if you can find the “right app” (nudge nudge), then you can download it and access live content. 

Apps are available from your usual source, but you have to see Arthur Daley / Del Trotter etc for the interesting apps. 
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Isn’t the difference that there will now be more non-Saturday 3pm kick offs, so the revenue that was being earned from the not-so-international fans (I.e in the U.K., using a VPN) will be lost as those fans can just watch the match on Sky Sports now?
    Much will depend on how many games we get broadcast I suppose. Can see it being a lot less than Wrexham… 
  • Options
    JohnnyH2 said:
    is the pre game stuff free on You Tube?

I don’t know, but I think I’ve heard them mention it. So ok, its at least partly available to those who want to steal from their own club.

So it’s a thing. But it is already happening now. It doesnt affect what we need to know, which is how much subscription revenue the club gets from Charlton TV, does it cover costs, and how much of that is from UK based subscribers, people who do actually pay, even if sometimes they use a VPN so they can watch from the UK when rights don’t allow it. 

• Options
    Football can f@ck off
  • Options
    ct_addick said:
    As a USA based Charlton fan I would be bummed if Charlton TV goes away. Minto, Curbs, Brownie etc...have become a staple of my Saturday mornings. Its a top class show IMO and well worth the 200 quid a year......with the bulk of our owner/investors based in the USA maybe they will continue with it....
    Assuming any do watch, if they derive as much pleasure from the games as I have this season, I should think they'll be finding something more rewarding to do with their time.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    ct_addick said:
    As a USA based Charlton fan I would be bummed if Charlton TV goes away. Minto, Curbs, Brownie etc...have become a staple of my Saturday mornings. Its a top class show IMO and well worth the 200 quid a year......with the bulk of our owner/investors based in the USA maybe they will continue with it......
    I think Gavin Carter will be our best ally. He was initially quite pro- Sandgaard and has the techie background. The project is probably his kind of thing. And he’s a Brit emigre rather than a Yank. 
  • Options
    Rothko said:

I've used a VPN to watch on CharltonTV when I haven't been able to go. 

Imagine there are quite a fair few others who do the same as it's so easy to do.
  • Options
    Rothko said:

I've used a VPN to watch on CharltonTV when I haven't been able to go. 

Imagine there are quite a fair few others who do the same as it's so easy to do.
    Yep, I use TunnelBear on my iPhone, and then throw that up on the telly with AirPlay. Simple and easy 
  • Options
     It's nonsense Prague. It can't be done. They're all talking bollox.
  • Options
    If people can pirate every sky channel and more what makes you think they can’t pirate charlton tv?
  • Options
    Oddly enough, I have a CharltonTV subscription but normally watch on an illegal stream as the connection is better. 

Will be very sad if CharltonTV goes away. 
  • Options
    SamB09 said:
    If people can pirate every sky channel and more what makes you think they can’t pirate charlton tv?
    I didn’t say it doesn’t happen. I confessed that I have no experience of this (although I do with downloads of films and TV ) so I simply asked how exactly the technology of a Firestick works on something that isn’t shown over an open media network, because I could not get my head around it. Unfortunately nobody actually wanted to explain. I kinda felt like I was 12 again and not knowing what a blowjob was and my mates were patronising me  about it. 🤣

@killerandflash two posts up nails it.