Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

RIP Derek Underwood

Just come up on the BBC cricket feed  :'(

Comments

• Options
    Rip 

One of my childhood heroes
  • Options
    Deadly was my favourite. Superb to watch.
  • Options
    A very sad day. Deadly was my childhood hero for sure. When he came on to bowl, you just knew he’d take a wicket straight away. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Oh that's terrible news. RIP deadly. A truly great bowler .
  • Options
    Very sad news.  RIP Deadly. 
  • Options
    So sad. RIP the days of proper test cricket, school summer holidays waiting for something to happen in a test match...
  • Options
    Very sad.
    May he RIP ♥️
  • Options
    Truly sad moment. Deadly was a huge part of the Kent scene when I started going - I remember my dad telling me about him the first time I saw him (Sunday league JPS) and you always expected wickets.
    RIP Derek.
  • Options
    One of my sporting heroes.

RIP Derek you were a true cricketing great.
  • Options
    Very sad news. A true great of the game who I was fortunate to see play many times. RIP.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 15
    One of my heroes from when I started watching cricket, his stats are still impressive, given DRS and the number of test matches now he'd probably have had hundreds more wickets.

He was also a reasonable tail end batsman, and very brave, you had to be going in as night watchman v Holding and Roberts et al.

Posted this before, but it's well  worth another look.

https://www.thecricketmonthly.com/story/1226514/deadly-venom--the-terror-of-derek-underwood

RIP deadly.
  • Options
    Fantastic talent. RIP Derek.
  • Options
    c Knott b Underwood.  RIP a true cricket legend.  Unplayable on wet ungarded wickets.
    They may have been in their pomp in the pre-Windows computer age but "c Knott b Underwood" is what <CTRL+C><CTRL+V> was made for.

RIP Deadly.
  • Options
    RIP Derek. Yet another boyhood hero.

• Options
    RIP The master deadly Derek
  • Options
    RIP Derek. 
  • Options
    One of England's greatest players. RIP
  • Options
    edited April 15
    He played in the very first cricket match I went to - day two of the 5th Test, England v The West Indies at The Oval in August 76.

3/165 off 60 overs as we were battered by Richards & Lloyd - in my minds eye I can still see him wheeling in against those Windies legends on a hot summer afternoon nearly 50 years ado. RIP
  • Options
    I saw him play in a Kent side against Petts Wood many years ago.
    Wonderful bowler.
    RIP Derek.