Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

RIP Derek Underwood

Comments

• Options
    Oh no! A true legend. RIP.
  • Options
    Absolutely gutted to read this news. My Dad, Grandad and I loved watching him bowl, a true legend in every sense of the word! The absolute epitome of a professional cricketer and genuinely nice guy.
    RIP Deadly, thank you for great memories x
  • Options
    So sad. Watching Kent with deadly Derek was part of my childhood. What a great player he was.
    My condolences to his family and friends.
  • Options
    Rest in peace. Absolutely a legend
  • Options
    An absolute master of his craft. His work with Alan Knott could at times be almost mesmeric. Separately and In unison they served each other, the county, the country, cricket itself and us so very, very well. Thank you. Rest in peace Derek
  • Options
    Brilliant bowler, boyhood hero. I remember that Aussie game like yesterday. From memory he also got a first class hundred. RIP deadly.
  • Options
    edited April 15
    So sad, RIP. I was brought up being mesmerised by his bowling achievements. If my memory serves me right, Derek made his debut against the great West Indian side whilst Kent were playing that day at Blackheath.
  • Options
    So many memories of Deadly and Knotty - with it just be a few days after my dad's 20th anniversary, who got me in to cricket (and Charlton despite him being from Edinburgh!) and so many memories of watching Kent and England, especially Underwood and Knott, it has brought more than one tear to my eye.

I remember one day we were having lunch somewhere in central London (early to mid 70's I think and it might have been The Strand Palace) and as both were wanting to know the uptodate scores, we were by a fax (?) machine/vidiprinter and there was the Reuters news. A piece of paper came out reporting he'd taken a wicket, then another, then another. I think he took 9 or 10 wickets in only a few hours. Well that's how I remember it anyway
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Very sad news, condolences to Derek's family and friends.
  • Options
    An unbelievably brilliant spin bowler. RIP.
  • Options
    Boyhood hero of mine RIP.
  • Options
    So much a part of my childhood. Remember my grandad telling me how confused he'd been listening to the test match score being read out ... caught not bowled Underwood, caught not bowled Underwood etc etc. RIP Deadly
  • Options
    A Kent hero of mine too..

Great cricketer. 

• Options
    RIP Deadly.
  • Options
    I saw him take 6/12 in a Sunday League match at Hastings back in 84. The match was also memorable for a female spectator running on to the pitch and planting a kiss on umpire Dicky Bird. He also recorded his maiden century with the bat in the County Championship match which took place either side of that Sunday, as was common practice at the time.

Such a hero of mine. RIP and rise in glory.
  • Options
    RIP
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    RIP 

He was indeed a deadly bowler - no doubt, ANY batsmen in the world back in the day, who looked at the wicket, saw it was as track that was perfect for Derek, would have been thinking ‘bugger’

I met him briefly many years ago - lovely man - but ruthless with ball in hand 

Kent and England legend 
  • Options
    My first match was at Lords against Pakistan in 74. After waiting ages outside with me Dad we were finally let in as the pitch has past inspection. Of course deadly Derek cleaned up the Pakistan batting I think water has seeped under the covers. I even saw myself on telly when they showed the wickets on the news that night.
    One thing I remember watching him side on later in the John Player was how fast he bowled.
    RIP Derek
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options
    Probably my favourite cricketer of all time. Loved watching him bowl. Totally unique. RIP 
  • Options
    Really sad. Brilliant to watch.
  • Options
    What a superb bowler - definitely one of my childhood heroes for Kent and England.
    RIP Derek.
  • Options
    A name from my childhood as my old man was a cricket nut - long summer days indoors squinting at test matches on a fuzzy black and white telly with the curtains shut, so weak was the picture. Apparently my mother once danced with Derek Underwood, mention of which always seemed to slightly annoy my father. 

RIP
  • Options
    Absolutely unplayable on a drying wicket. A boyhood hero.
  • Options
    Saw many times ( Kent summer/Charlton winter) 
     RIP