Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Son’s first game Saturday. Tips?

Comments

• Options
    I took my daughter to a Barnet game when she was 4. It was too much for her. She didn’t have a clue what was going on and the sounds of the (small) crowd reacting to a goal made her burst into tears. We made it to 70 minutes. 
    For balance, she had never watched football before or expressed any interest in it, so it was entirely my fault. 
    In the end the thing that really got my daughters into football was the pre-match drinking. 
  • Options
    edited April 17
    Make sure he kicks the back of the seat in front throughout the match.

Damen just seen Fortune82nd minute got there first.
  • Options
    I’m taking my daughter, who’s 9, to her first game at Wycombe. We’re going to get there last minute, watch the game and get out asap afterwards. If we lose, I’ll tell her that they weren’t bothered because they’re going on holiday anyway.

If we win (and if we didn’t lose our 45th match) I’ll tell her that we’re on a record breaking unbeaten run and that they’ll soon start actually talking about us on Final Score and Radio London.
  • Options
    edited April 17
    @bromdog exciting times! Family Stand is the place to be. The view is good and you're close enough to the north upper to get the atmosphere. Definitely don't go covered end lower as the view is terrible for an adult, let alone a little man (especially 2nd half when everyone stands). I wouldn't get there too early, but just enough time to get some chips and take your seat. Sometimes they do little events in the west stand car park for kids pre match, but I can't see anything on the website at the moment. Hope you both enjoy the game/day out. Taking your kids for the 1st time is special

Edit. When you get your tickets make sure the seats aren't restricted view. I've been given a couple of dodgy seats in the family stand before and my boy couldn't see. Wasn't a problem and we just moved, but checking when buying saves aggro on the day. When I book I'm always like "my son is really small, so needs a good view", just to emphasize the point!
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    1. Buy a programme. 
    2. Put it away in your pocket, out of reach. 
    3. Take it home. 
    4. Keep it safe. 
    5. Give it to him on his eighteenth birthday. 

Best. Present. Ever. 
    Unless we lose 6-0 ;)
    Therapist: So when do you think the abuse started?
    Bromdog Jnr: Not only do I know the exact date I have memorabilia...
  • Options
    edited April 17
    If you're sitting in the family stand, avoid Block D, Rows X, Y and Z due to the massive bellend that screams at the players the whole match and frightens the kids. Seen a few sat right in front of him leave in tears. 
  • Options
    Took mine first time last season, he’s now 6 years old and charlton obsessed and doesn’t care how shite we are and is always desperate to go, so I must've done something right.  Here’s what I did:

- Get him familiar with the players in the days leading up to the game, make em out like they’re rock stars.  

- We sat north lower near the back, he loved the swearing and abuse towards the ref, this sounds bad but for him he felt like he was at something only big boys go to so it added to the experience, and he was giggling at 50 year old geezas losing their marbles.  

- Get a programme and buy something from the club shop, I remember my little one saying wow is this a whole shop just for Charlton?!

- Go to a proper charlton pub before the game even if it’s just for one, the Royal Oak your best bet, let them see the culture and what it means.  I said hello to about 50 people so it gives it a club feel for him, a sense of belonging I guess.

- Get in the ground when they’re warming up and go down the front, let him see them close up and give him the latest of who’s on form etc.  

- Let him get a good view of them coming out. 

The rest was out to my hands, it was 28 degrees and we beat Derby 1-0 with a good atmosphere.  But that’s my experience and like I said it worked a treat.
  • Options
    Take him to Alton Towers instead & prevent a lifetime of upset, hurt & very little enjoyment 😜
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    My advice would be to take him to an alternative club.
  • Options
    edited April 17
    Oh, three other bits of advice

1. You cannot get healthy food at The Valley. My kids cannot go 100mins without eating. I take things like raspberry's; blueberry's etc with me every week so they don't have the crap on offer.
    2. Buy a programme and then next season sign then up to Junior Reds for £20. Then your little one can go to the parties etc and get whatever players are left to sign the programme as a momento of their first game.  The parties are good and I would say aimed more at younger kids so perfect.
    3. Maybe at aged 4 and first game they are too young but if you get there 20 mins early or so and head to the front of the family area they can go through the gate, walk along the front of the west and wave a flag whilst the players come out. First come, first served.  My two are seasoned pros at it now!  Even if they don't go out the mascots come along there and high five the kids before the game.
    4. If you contact tom rubbershoes you may even get them a shout out at half time, at that age they would maybe get excited to hear their name?
  • Options
    Buy a programme and frame it....said it before somewhere else, I wished my dad (RIP) had done this as I can't remember my first Charlton game, not even the year though it was around 70-71.
  • Options
    edited April 17
    I saw the thread title and thought we'd signed the Korean fella from Tottenham. A real sign of intent I thought, then I realised we're outside of the transfer window. Damn.

As for the nipper, I went to my first game aged eight, I wanted to stand on the fence at the front, my Dad said OK, but watch out for the ball flying into the crowd. I survived OK, our full backs were Bob Curtis, Brian Kinsey or Dennis Booth, who could all hit an accurate pass. There's been plenty of times since I would have been knocked out in the first minute.....

Let him enjoy it, he can be indoctrinated later on about all the horrors of the last 15 odd years etc, hopefully he'll get the bug and want to go again. 

• Options
    Just tell him not to kick the back of the seats in front of him !  :-)
    Unless he's sitting behind Golfie, then tell him it's compulsory to kick it at least once every 30 seconds!
  • Options
    Should this be a members only thread to prevent  the thread title causing a meltdown on the Spurs forums ?

• Options
    Chizz said:
    1. Buy a programme. 
    2. Put it away in your pocket, out of reach. 
    3. Take it home. 
    4. Keep it safe. 
    5. Give it to him on his eighteenth birthday. 

Best. Present. Ever. 
    I've got a shirt from the year both my daughter and laterly son were born. Both still sealed and wrapped. They're hidden away, won't be getting them until they turn 18. Obviously had to take a massive guess on correct size, but hey ho. Waited until both were on sale late in the season, so not too expensive. Pristine, retro shirt for their birthdays when they get there.
    that's a great idea
  • Options
    we picked up a North Korean flag outside the North Stand and went in.
    That should be part of everyones first football game.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 18
  • Options
    Out of curiosity, do you ever watch games on CharltonTV at home?

If so, does he ever show too much interest to those matches?

My Son is six now, and have always wanted to take him to see Charlton, but until now he's never once shown interest in watching Football whenever its on the TV, so I wont take him until he takes genuine interest in the Sport.
    Yeah my big thing as much as I want him to go is I would always wait until he showed interest or asked to go. I’m not a season ticket holder anymore, so it’s not like he is following me, but he has taken up football training after shool, and recently been keen to play cricket. So i guess he likes the sport element, he watches match of the day for about 20 mins and then loses interest. But I can deal with that if we have to have break now and then. 
  • Options
    Thanks for everyone’s advice. Particularly like the idea of the programme as a keepsake. I’m under no illusion that he’s going to last the whole game, I think I’m going to go for it though on the strength of the majority’s input. It’s seems that I should get into the ground later, few snacks, and an east/family stand ticket, space, club shop gift and a couple of breaks might get me to half time before wanting to go home! 
  • Options
    I wouldnt bother with Saturday, id wait for a pre season friendly in a few months when there is far less crowds and noise. 
  • Options
    What a world or is it just Charlton fans who would get their kid to wear headphones (obviously if there is a medical need that's different)?

If you sit in certain parts of the east or west it's about as lively as a library.
    Keep the programme and match ticket safe and pencil a note on saying it was their first game.
  • Options
    Don’t be disheartened if he has no interest after 5 minutes, just need to ride that through sometimes at that age 
  • Options
    Don’t be disheartened if he has no interest after 5 minutes, just need to ride that through sometimes at that age 
    Can you tell my Mrs that.
  • Options
    shine166 said:
    I wouldnt bother with Saturday, id wait for a pre season friendly in a few months when there is far less crowds and noise. 
    I'd say the complete opposite. The more going on to distract him the better.