Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Son’s first game Saturday. Tips?

13»

Comments

• Options
    Sit as close to the pitch as you can. 
  • Options
    My petrolhead 5 years ago (11 at that time) had no interest having been taken along since the age of 7 
    Now the keenest of the lot to go to games , obviously everyone is different and even if not keen at first doesn't mean it's game over
  • Options
    I recall taking my son to the Valley for a game against Ipswich. The crowd were singing 'sheep shaggers' and he asked me what they meant. I said they were singing 'sheep shearers' as there are a lot of sheep near Ipswich. 
  • Options
    Great parenting bromdog. 

Attending football should be on the school curriculum for all of our entitled, closeted and wrapped in cotton wool generation of youngsters... 

A few years of watching Charlton will give the lad an invaluable grounding. It will teach him about hope, loss and compromise.  He'll learn that life is unfair most of the time but when, on rare occaision you fluke one, savour it, milk it's greatness, because you could be waiting a while for the next one.

Enjoy the day.  He will know life in its purest form for 90 minutes, sorry 115 minutes in 2024 measures.
  • Options
    The lyrics are:

Oh South London (oh South London)
    Is wonderful (is wonderful).
    Oh South London is wonderful.
    We've got chips, The Valley and Charlton.
    Oh South London is wonderful.
  • Options
    bromdog take the poor little blighter to see Kung Fu Panda 4
    you'll have a much better time and won't need winter clothing 
  • Options
    Billy_Mix said:
    bromdog take the poor little blighter to see Kung Fu Panda 4
    you'll have a much better time and won't need winter clothing 
    Haha the reason i picked out the last home game of the season was in hope of some decent bloody weather. Typical!
  • Options
    How did it go? Did your son beg you never to bring him again after watching that?

And, most importantly, did he kick the back of the seat in front of him all game?
  • Options
    edited April 20
    Was on the train after with my son and two kids sat next to us one in white away shirt and saying it was their first game. Spoke briefly to their dad as they commented about their mum's cooking  😆 

Was that you @bromdog? Hope you all enjoyed the game if so (or even if it wasn't hope your boy enjoyed it...mines hooked now so have well and truly passed on the albatross that is CAFC!)
  • Options
    What a turd of a first game to witness. At least when he is older he can brag to his mates that his first ever match wasn't a cup final or a nail biting promotion finale, but a drab non-football 1-1. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 20
    bromdog said:
    Thanks all. We’ve only just got back home to Tonbridge! Was a fantastic day, honestly it exceeded all expectations and all the advice helped. He managed the full 90, but in truth lost concentration around the hour, I said if he wanted to go home that that’s ok but he insisted he wanted to stay until the end. But was well behaved. I even managed a couple of pints in the fans bar after and all he wanted to do was sit on the ledge and look out on to the pitch. One of my best CAFC days for sure!
    Excellent! Glad he enjoyed it and to be fair if  he enjoyed that he will be able to enjoy any game.

Great father son bonding time too, however you have now condemned him to a life of pain and frustrations. :smile: