Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

MATCH PREVIEW: Charlton Athletic vs Shrewsbury Town | Saturday 20th April 2024 - 3pm Kick-Off

Charlton Athletic vs Shrewsbury Town
Saturday 20th April 2024 - 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Daniel Middleton

Introduction
So its time to bring the curtain down on another season at the Valley, I suspect there will many a tear shed from the stands at the Full-Time whistle this coming Saturday (God knows what time it'll finish, given up trying to guess) - With many supporters heard to mutter: "Thank god its over" - Once again like the last couple of years, the 2023/24 season wont be remembered fondly, it didnt even really start with a bang, a drab 1-0 victory over Leyton Orient back in August... But after 22-games, 8-wins, 7-draws, 7-defeats... and 66 goals... We can finally shout: "Its almost over"

The Opposition
Name: Shrewsbury Town (18th) | Manager: Paul Hurst
Ground: The New Meadow
Previous League Result: Bolton 2-2 Shrewsbury

Unfortunately though we're not quite there, and even when the Referee eventually blows time on the League season in SE7 there will be one more encounter to come.

Not thinking too far ahead though, and before all that, we have the small matter of hosting Shrewsbury Town in what will be a lacklustre game, with both sides dreaming of their end of season holidays - However for the visiting Salop, their destiny is yet to be confirmed so I hope they're not dreaming of the Summer Holidays too soon - Sitting in 18th spot as things stand, Shrewsbury could yet find themselves playing League Two Football next term, especially with Cheltenham Town just six points behind, and with a game in hand.

Of course should Shrewsbury earn a result tomorrow (which is likely given our love of draws, something only Neil Buchanan can relate to), with Cheltenham failing to replicate the result against Play-Off chasing: Lincoln City, then well this'll be a guaranteed League One encounter next term, and reading that I bet you cannot contain your excitement - Shrewsbury though have put themselves in this position with their lack of goals, and have the worst attack in the Division, having scored just 33-goals (three less than Burton Albion), not surprising really when you consider this reverse fixture somehow ended 0-0 back in September.

In terms of recent form, and Salop have just the five victories and five draws this calendar year... Meaning that their safety in League One really isn't guaranteed, however they did draw at Bolton Wanderers on Tuesday evening (2-2 the final score), so aren't the toothless threat that we should expect by any means; Daniel Udoh their biggest threat with nine goals this season

Charlton Team News
For many it is two games left to try and earn a new Contract, or prove they deserve an opportunity amongst this Charlton squad for next season - To be fair though, if you've struggled to show decent levels of performance prior to this point, its doubtful any minds will be changed. One player; Lucas Ness has had his one year extension triggered in the last few days, although it would be surprising if he was given anything better than a place on the bench this weekend.

Otherwise there seems to be a typically clean bill of health amongst the squad going into this game, we may see another chance for Tyreece Campbell from the start, the youngster has played four League One games fewer than Corey Blackett-Taylor this season, with the latter getting two more assists than Tyreece, proving that there is potential still to be exploited, if we can convince him to remain in South East London this summer.

We await with baited breath to see if Son Heung-Min gets his first Charlton game this Saturday

Isted
Edmonds-Green - Hector - Thomas
Ramsay - Dobson - Coventry - Small
Anderson
May - Kanu

Substitutes Bench: Maynard-Brewer  - Ness - Gillesphey - Campbell - LuaLua - Wickham - Aneke

Comments

• Options
    Could see Fullah being given a chance on the bench - must be something there to have been offered a full contract.
  • Options
    edited April 19
    I wonder if we'll see at least one of Isted, Hector or Thomas dropped after Jones' "It's personnel" comment following the poor goal conceded against Cambridge. 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    I wonder if we'll see at least one of Isted, Hector or Thomas dropped after Jones' "It's personnel" comment after the poor goal conceded against Cambridge. 
    Cant be hector surely, playing for a contract or not he's been excellent the last 5, Thomas has been shakey at times.
  • Options
    I wonder if there will be a lap of (dis)honour after the game ?  Thinking of going only so I can clap Dobbo goodbye & May a welldone. Not going to hang around afterwards though. The rest dont deserve it. 
  • Options
    Planned to be at the Valley for this one but stuck in bloody Colombo airport due to Biblical floods in Dubai.  A 16 hour wait for a plane,  bumped off an empty flight and then held captive inside the airport without a passport, food or information. Thank you Emirates.

Bound to miss an eight goal thriller.

5-3  

• Options
    edited April 19
    Really hoping the boys can finish in style and give us a good Valley send off for 2023/24. However, this is Charlton, so expecting a shocking performance and a 0-2 defeat against the might Shrews.
  • Options
    edited April 19
    They deserve a big thank you for the season served up 🤥

I’m playing a pre season cricket friendly with boffin and the other cnuts are being punished and going to Charlton with the mrs 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A thrilling 1-1 to round off a stunning season!
  • Options
    Any preview of the Slop reminds me of that play off and I forever will hate them for that. Nothing like bearing a grudge. Can't see them dropping down but hope we will do our best. Alfie at the double and the Upbeats yet again are the best part of the day as always, love them, 2-0 to Charlron.
  • Options
    Another Stevenage 0-0.
  • Options
    Doesn’t feel like an end of season game. In previous years it’s t shirts and sunglasses. Now it feels more like late November.
  • Options
    Just spent a lovely evening with 5 of our German Addick pals & hoping for a good performance & 3 points from our lads tomorrow to thank them for their onging support over the past 10 years. 

Great guys , each & every one. 
  • Options
    Planned to be at the Valley for this one but stuck in bloody Colombo airport due to Biblical floods in Dubai.  A 16 hour wait for a plane,  bumped off an empty flight and then held captive inside the airport without a passport, food or information. Thank you Emirates.

5-3  

Sod that, it sounds like a nightmare.
  • Options

5-3  

Sod that, it sounds like a nightmare.
    34 hours in Colombo Airport is at least 33 too long. 

And still here. 
  • Options
    Bringing a spurs (and luton) supporting mate to this so hoping for the 4-0 that we are due, expecting 0-0 or 0-1 with a Hector back pass into the net that Isted should have stopped but it rolls under his foot. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Another for 4-0. May 3, Hector
  • Options
    3-1.
  • Options
    2 - 2 
    Aneke late equaliser 
  • Options
    Pardon my ignorance but is L Jones injured or does N Jones just not rate him?
  • Options
    N.Jones is really guarded about injuries in press conferences but all we know is he was injured, had an injection.. and hasn’t been seen since. No real update either. He appeared in some TV show that was filmed 1+ year ago so can’t see that having an affect… maybe just out of favour. It’s a strange one.
  • Options
    edited April 20
    The next step may be one for next season, but it clearly is winning games comfortably. What is positive is that it is the next step and not a few steps up. I think we will win today but not emphatically.

Having said that, they have something to play for whilst we don't. Although it could be argued a few of our players may be playing for contracts.
  • Options
    1 - 1 
  • Options
    He’s holding him back for the finale…it’s not unusual 
  • Options
    N.Jones is really guarded about injuries in press conferences but all we know is he was injured, had an injection.. and hasn’t been seen since. No real update either. He appeared in some TV show that was filmed 1+ year ago so can’t see that having an affect… maybe just out of favour. It’s a strange one.
    I kind of have a feeling it is to do with the TV show. Get the feeling that N Jones wouldn’t agree to any player doing such a thing. I know it happened a year ago and he wasn’t even our player then (was he?) but can you really see him standing for it?
  • Options
    Maybe N Jones has only recently discovered that L Jones likes table tennis?