Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Summer Friendlies 2024

Comments

• Options
    edited May 16
    PopIcon said:
    CAFCTrev said:
    Remember the days when the team would wear next seasons kit in the last home game of the season?
    How many times did that happen?
    Dont think it ever did mate. 
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:
    PopIcon said:
    CAFCTrev said:
    Remember the days when the team would wear next seasons kit in the last home game of the season?
    It did happen in the 90s, although I  can't give specific examples.

Remember we wore our new Mesh logo shirts for the 98 final, when it had been viglen on the shirts that whole season. 
  • Options
    PopIcon said:
    CAFCTrev said:
    3 times!
  • Options
    JohnnyH2 said:
    CAFCTrev said:
    PopIcon said:
    CAFCTrev said:
    I think we did it 3 times

93/94
    95/96
    97/98
    That's a great memory. 

I do love that people are nostalgic for something that happened three times 25-30 years ago. The comment "remember when we wore the home kit for the last home game" comes up in every kit conversation. I do think it's a cool idea. Dortmund I believe did it this year, I think Liverpool are doing it as well. 
  • Options
    edited May 16
    SDAddick said:
    JohnnyH2 said:
    CAFCTrev said:
    PopIcon said:
    CAFCTrev said:
    I think we did it 3 times

93/94
    95/96
    97/98
    The comment "remember when we wore the home kit for the last home game" comes up in every kit conversation. 
    I think we wear our home kit in most home games. 
  • Options
    Just put the kids out v Welling like we do other non league clubs.
    Like Miles Leaburn, who was 19 last summer?

The whole point of playing teams like Welling and Dartford in the early part of pre-season is to give the whole squad minutes against weaker opposition to gradually build uyp their match fitness and sharpness, then play your best team just before the season starts. The senior players need 45 minutes on the pitch, and if you don't play non league teams, that really limits who you can play against.
  • Options

Looks like the Welling friendly might be off the table.
    Hmm I wonder why? Filthy bastards.
  • Options
    Wasnt it a thank you for Welling because we played the reserves matches at Park View Rd, well that hasn't been the case for years.
  • Options

The whole point of playing teams like Welling and Dartford in the early part of pre-season is to give the whole squad minutes against weaker opposition to gradually build uyp their match fitness and sharpness, then play your best team just before the season starts. The senior players need 45 minutes on the pitch, and if you don't play non league teams, that really limits who you can play against.

No, as in make it an U21 game.  Leaburn was already past U21 games at the start of last season and would not have played. The U21s have their own pre season and it is generally against non league teams.  Would be a good test for them and allow the fixture to remain. It wouldn't mean Assimwe, Kanu, Anderson etc would play in it this summer despite their ages.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Looks like the Welling friendly might be off the table.
    The original tweet has now been deleted.  No idea why someone who is so well connected with Welling would send this out and then subsequently delete it

• Options

No, as in make it an U21 game.  Leaburn was already past U21 games at the start of last season and would not have played. The U21s have their own pre season and it is generally against non league teams.  Would be a good test for them and allow the fixture to remain. It wouldn't mean Assimwe, Kanu, Anderson etc would play in it this summer despite their ages.
    Who will the senior players get their minutes against, if they don't play against non league teams though?

They need half a dozen games to get their minutes in. If you say the likes of May and Coventry can't play against non league sides, then you need to find 6 games against league sides instead. You don't want to play teams in your own division, so that leaves L2 and Scotland? If the likes of Wimbledon, Crawley and Colchester say no, then it's a lot of travelling to play "building up fitness" pre-season games against Newport or Walsall.
  • Options
    clive said:
    Nathan Jones' Addicks will begin their pre-season preparations with a trip to Dartford on Saturday, July 6th (KO 3pm BST).
    https://www.charltonafc.com/news/addicks-kick-pre-season-dartford
    Well let’s hope they don’t try and tackle our players or use a triallist 😉😆

I wonder if we will get a ‘big’ team at the end of pre season to properly create some buzz for the season ahead or keep it all more modest. 
  • Options
    edited May 17
    I find it a bit hilarious that some people now seem to have a passionate dislike for Welling FC because a journeyman put in a bad tackle, once. 

I'd like it to go ahead but not too fussed either way.
  • Options
    Dartford are the new Welling.

Non league club who allow us to use their ground in return for a lucrative PSF.
  • Options
    A friend of mine works for welling, they want the friendly, we are not committing currently 
  • Options
    Dartford are a league below Welling now, obviously trying to give ourselves the best chance of a win.

If I recall correctly, the Dartford friendly got a bit lively last year as well. Pretty sure one of theirs got sent off for elbowing McGrandles?
  • Options
    Dartford were another team trying to kick us all over the place.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    clive said:
    Nathan Jones' Addicks will begin their pre-season preparations with a trip to Dartford on Saturday, July 6th (KO 3pm BST).
    https://www.charltonafc.com/news/addicks-kick-pre-season-dartford
    I wonder if we will get a ‘big’ team at the end of pre season to properly create some buzz for the season ahead
    millwall
  • Options

Who will the senior players get their minutes against, if they don't play against non league teams though?

They need half a dozen games to get their minutes in. If you say the likes of May and Coventry can't play against non league sides, then you need to find 6 games against league sides instead. You don't want to play teams in your own division, so that leaves L2 and Scotland? If the likes of Wimbledon, Crawley and Colchester say no, then it's a lot of travelling to play "building up fitness" pre-season games against Newport or Walsall.

Yeah, fair comment.  Tbh I don't pay a lot of attention to psf so no idea what we have done in previous years, aren't we off abroad this year for a few games? 

I'm not even against playing Welling, just pointing out there are other options to keep the game if the powers that be were sore over last seasons tackle on Leaburn 
  • Options
    edited May 18
    Dartford game confirmed on their social media feeds

• Options

• Options
    Eastbourne Borough v Charlton 23s on Saturday 27th July. 
  • Options
    Eastbourne Borough v Charlton 23s on Saturday 27th July. 
    We don't have an under 23s team. They are under 21.
  • Options
    Eastbourne doesn't have any under 23s either. The youngest person living there is 70  ;)
    That reminds me, people retire to Eastbourne to live near their parents in Bexhill.