Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Cruising (on ships not the mucky kind)

Comments

• Booked Marella Explorer (TUI) for end march 2025 for a week all inclusive around the canaries and Madeira. This will be our first cruise, went for a smaller ship with hopefully less loud Americans.
  • edited October 14
    clb74 said:
    Will continue to cruise but never again on Norwegian. The show casts were good, but I had misgivings about every other aspect of the cruise holiday versus Royal Caribbean and Britannia. Keen to try Celebrity mind. 

Was looking at a couple of Norwegian cruises for next month.
    What's the food and drink like?
    Cheers
    You do need to get the drinks package, glass of wine with dinner could set you back $20 bucks !!. Food is pretty good and the speciality dining is very nice, some of the best steak I have ever had. Le Bistro is my favorite but depends if you like French cuisine. I think they have La Trattoria if you fancy some nice Italian nosh. Done a lot and Celebrity would be my go to. Just done Azamara and would love to go again but pricing is quite eye watering so looking out for a good deal.

• Solidgone said:
    I think that’s why I’m looking at Tui and setting off from Barbados instead of fort Lauderdale. I think Tui will have more people on board from the UK than very loud American families. But i will check out Royal Caribbean. Thanks.
    Been there, done that, would recommend Tui
  • Booked Marella Explorer (TUI) for end march 2025 for a week all inclusive around the canaries and Madeira. This will be our first cruise, went for a smaller ship with hopefully less loud Americans.
    Marella will be all Brits...
  • edited October 14
    cafcfan said:
    For some reason, a couple of years before he died, my Dad decided he really wanted to do a cruise to Alaska via the Vancouver Island Inner Passage [insert Kenneth Williams meme here].  When he got back we asked if he'd had a fantastic time and he said it was alright if you liked fir trees.  Not sure what else he was expecting.

Personally I have no interest in a cruise: some horrendous crossings on the Birkenhead/Belfast ferry;  the complete boredom of 20 hours on the Plymouth/Santander ferry (fantastic food on board though); and breaking down in the middle of the North Sea on the Harwich/Hook of Holland ferry was more than enough boat time for me.

And then there's the Captain's Table thing - why on earth would I want to eat with the staff? (Or perhaps Megabus are missing a trick and should offer the optional extra of a fag break with the driver and a swig from his hip flask).
    The captains table isn’t a thing (it may have been 20 years ago). 

• red10 said:
    clb74 said:
    Will continue to cruise but never again on Norwegian. The show casts were good, but I had misgivings about every other aspect of the cruise holiday versus Royal Caribbean and Britannia. Keen to try Celebrity mind. 

Cheers
    You do need to get the drinks package, glass of wine with dinner could set you back $20 bucks !!. Food is pretty good and the speciality dining is very nice, some of the best steak I have ever had. Le Bistro is my favorite but depends if you like Frence cuisine. I think they have La Trattoria if you fancy some nice Italian nosh. Done a lot and Celebrity would be my go to. Just done Azamara and would love to go again but pricing is quite eye watering so looking out for a good deal.

Cheers. To you both.
    Azamara quest 20 nights south Africa to canaries from £2699 drinks wi fi included.
  • cafcfan said:
    For some reason, a couple of years before he died, my Dad decided he really wanted to do a cruise to Alaska via the Vancouver Island Inner Passage [insert Kenneth Williams meme here].  When he got back we asked if he'd had a fantastic time and he said it was alright if you liked fir trees.  Not sure what else he was expecting.

Personally I have no interest in a cruise: some horrendous crossings on the Birkenhead/Belfast ferry;  the complete boredom of 20 hours on the Plymouth/Santander ferry (fantastic food on board though); and breaking down in the middle of the North Sea on the Harwich/Hook of Holland ferry was more than enough boat time for me.

And then there's the Captain's Table thing - why on earth would I want to eat with the staff? (Or perhaps Megabus are missing a trick and should offer the optional extra of a fag break with the driver and a swig from his hip flask).
    The captains table isn’t a thing (it may have been 20 years ago). 

It was on the cruise I just went on. Though definitely not for the likes of me!
    I'm thinking about two weeks on Marella in December. Ten stops across the Caribbean. Never done a cruise before.
  • Sponsored links:

• Next January on Celebrity Beyond from Miami around the Caribbean…. Celebrity are the best cruise line by far 
  • Next January on Celebrity Beyond from Miami around the Caribbean…. Celebrity are the best cruise line by far 
    why?
  • kigelia said:
    I am after some tips. Mrs Kigelia and I are thinking of booking a cruise ship holiday for next year. We have never done this type of holiday before and wonder if any of you folks have any recommendations/tips to help us out?

we are thinking of something heading to Norway/iceland/greenland rather than down to the sunnier areas. 
    If it is your first cruise,I would suggest the Norwegian Fjords,I think they go from Tilbury or Dover.Only last 7 days,but that would be Ideal for your first cruise.i have done many ,the Fjords was my first and me and the Mrs.were hooked.
    Sice done Several more including South America and the Baltic sea( A great trip but you now cant visit St Petersburg which was the highlight.)
    We have been on a couple of P&O cruises and loved it. The food is excellent - but beware of eating too much - and the evening entertainment is West End standard. Not sure P&O leave from Tilbury or Dover but would recommend Southampton anyway. Agree with the comments about Norway and the fjords although you need a sunny day to appreciate them and we had cloud. Booked a 14-night Baltic cruise to Stockholm, Helsinki, St Petersburg (2 nights) etc but it was cancelled during Covid. Gutted!     
    We were dead lucky in Norway,lovely sunshine for the whole of the cruise.we did a Spain and Portugal cruise this year on P O from Southampton,agree,Southampton is probably the most efficient embarking and disembarking I have experienced.
  • clb74 said:
    red10 said:
    clb74 said:

Cheers
    You do need to get the drinks package, glass of wine with dinner could set you back $20 bucks !!. Food is pretty good and the speciality dining is very nice, some of the best steak I have ever had. Le Bistro is my favorite but depends if you like Frence cuisine. I think they have La Trattoria if you fancy some nice Italian nosh. Done a lot and Celebrity would be my go to. Just done Azamara and would love to go again but pricing is quite eye watering so looking out for a good deal.

Cheers. To you both.
    Azamara quest 20 nights south Africa to canaries from £2699 drinks wi fi included.

That is pretty decent in fairness. We had a great time, Azamara ships are a bit smaller, service was excellent. Also you can upgrade one person on drinks if you like the top shelf, which most ships do not allow unless you upgrade both.
  • PopIcon said:
    Booked Marella Explorer (TUI) for end march 2025 for a week all inclusive around the canaries and Madeira. This will be our first cruise, went for a smaller ship with hopefully less loud Americans.
    I'm thinking about two weeks on Marella in December. Ten stops across the Caribbean. Never done a cruise before.
    I always thought it was an old folks trip, started cruising at 40 and to be honest land based holidays, even if all inclusive seem quite boring to be honest. There is a lot of hustle and bustle, especially if you are not docked and having to tender but it is really great to wakeup and be in a different location most days.

• Doing Sydney to Vancouver April 2025 via NZ, Tahiti, Hawaii - should be fun
  • edited October 15
    Doing Sydney to Vancouver April 2025 via NZ, Tahiti, Hawaii - should be fun
    Sounds a good can I ask which cruise company you are cruising with?
  • His mistress, don't tell his wife.
  • iaitch said:
    His mistress, don't tell his wife.
    Sorry after your very funny comment I just had to amend my question.
  • Sponsored links:

Princess?
  • clb74 said:
    Should of been in Sydney last Tuesday for 9 nights before boarding Celebrity Solstice for a cruise round Australia,  overnight in Bali on onto Singapore for a 2 night stay.
    Blew it out as the boy said the 1st Grandchild was due 3 days into getting to Sydney.
    Currently sitting indoors as me back went at work this morning. 
    Grand daughter arrived with no complications.
    Congratulations Chris. 
    Welcome to the grandad club.
  • Congratulations CLB. All the best to you and your family. 
  • Congratulations grandad.
  • clb74 said:
    Should of been in Sydney last Tuesday for 9 nights before boarding Celebrity Solstice for a cruise round Australia,  overnight in Bali on onto Singapore for a 2 night stay.
    Blew it out as the boy said the 1st Grandchild was due 3 days into getting to Sydney.
    Currently sitting indoors as me back went at work this morning. 
    Grand daughter arrived with no complications.
    You'll be taking her on a Disney cruise before you know it ! 

Well done to all concerned for the addition to clb74's family. 
  • red10 said:
    PopIcon said:
    Booked Marella Explorer (TUI) for end march 2025 for a week all inclusive around the canaries and Madeira. This will be our first cruise, went for a smaller ship with hopefully less loud Americans.
    I always thought it was an old folks trip, started cruising at 40 and to be honest land based holidays, even if all inclusive seem quite boring to be honest. There is a lot of hustle and bustle, especially if you are not docked and having to tender but it is really great to wakeup and be in a different location most days.

Decided to go Sri Lanka for 12 nights instead.
  • PopIcon said:
    red10 said:
    PopIcon said:

Decided to go Sri Lanka for 12 nights instead.
    Because the ship cruising wan't mucky? 
  • Sorry if already mentioned,
    Ambassador Line out of Tilbury, adults only well recommended
    Get a mate to drop you off, or use theTilbury Ferry if it's still running, and have a slap up meal in the Worlds End Pub beforehand
    Sounds a good can I ask which cruise company you are cruising with?
    Royal Caribbean.. Quantum of the seas 
  • DA7 said:
    Sorry if already mentioned,
    Ambassador Line out of Tilbury, adults only well recommended
    Get a mate to drop you off, or use theTilbury Ferry if it's still running, and have a slap up meal in the Worlds End Pub beforehand
    It's not in service now