Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Northern lights visible from London

Anyone see them and can let me know how badly I missed out? I didn't bother as north of me is well lit up.

So I'm jealous of the pictures I'm seeing online, though I think a lot of people could only see them through a camera lens.

There may be another solar storm tonight with more lights visible, locations TBC.

Comments

• Essex
  • Been in a work bubble the last week and didn’t know anything about this, absolutely gutted to have missed it.
  • Been in a work bubble the last week and didn’t know anything about this, absolutely gutted to have missed it.
    Same here
  • edited May 11
    I knew about it and still went to bed and forgot.

Fuming.
  • Aurora Borealis? At this time of year? At this time of day? In this part of the country? Localized entirely within your kitchen?
    I must say, you steam a good ham
  • Sponsored links:

• Apparently might be visible again tonight but nit as strongly.

For those who saw it, how much can you actually see with the naked eye?
  • You could see whispy cloud and that it was pinkish and greenish but not as vibrant or bright as the pictures then show.
  • Aurora Borealis? At this time of year? At this time of day? In this part of the country? Localized entirely within your kitchen?
    May I see it?
  • This is a gigantic solar storm… 7 coronal mass ejections in the last few days, all hitting Earth now … according to my brother who knows these things! 
  • stonemuse said:
    This is a gigantic solar storm… 7 coronal mass ejections in the last few days, all hitting Earth now … according to my brother who knows these things! 

Yes, it plays havoc with amateur radio traffic and can affect GPS.
  • Car alarms were going mental near my house lastnight, guess that was this. 
  • blackfen, you could see it with the naked eye, but not as vivid as in the photo.
  • Sponsored links:

• What time did this happen?
  • What time did this happen?
    Around 11pm
  • Croydon said:
    Aurora Borealis? At this time of year? At this time of day? In this part of the country? Localized entirely within your kitchen?
    May I see it?
    No.
  • shine166 said:

Bedfordshire 
    Did you have to go up a wooden hill to see them?
    Concrete steps to my garden 
  • shine166 said:
    shine166 said:

Bedfordshire 
    Did you have to go up a wooden hill to see them?
    Concrete steps to my garden 

(B-side to Stairway to Heaven?)
  • Apparently might be visible again tonight but nit as strongly.

For those who saw it, how much can you actually see with the naked eye?
    I was getting pics on a group (didn’t know anything about it ) and  we’re high up clear skies in a decent spot and I went outside and thought I’d missed it 
    at a push my naked eye could see a little hazy wispy bit but the photos are all iPhone or whatever jazzed up like it’s been photoshopped 

booooo there’s always one miserable twunt 

• Even makes my wanky torch light look good 

• View from my back garden in Sidcup last night. You could see it with the naked eye, but pics accentuate the colours. Have come to the conclusion that the camera on my phone is a bit cack.