Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Northern lights visible from London

2»

Comments

• Annoyingly I was spark out asleep when this was going on last night, from what I've been told and seen. The lights look even more impressive captured on film and camera. When I saw them in Iceland (absolutely mind blowing BTW, go if you ever get the chance) they looked incredible with the naked eye but the footage I got simply didn't do them justice 

• Have come to the conclusion that the camera on my phone is a bit cack. 
    Its actually quite the opposite.  I'd say your phone camera has done a stiring job.

For the size of the sensor and for the size of the lens, its incredible its picked out the colours in the sky given the limited light and the relatively poor dynamic range.  Its even picking up the stars FFS 😍😂

Compare that in contrast to the size a f2.8 professional lens thats costs £2.5k on a £3.5k mirrorless body, the phone technology is bloody amazing (seen here side by side with an iPhone 15 Pro Max for scale) :smile:

• ….and I ran,
    I ran so far away…….
  • Out out tonight so no doubt be asleep when the fun starts, but apparently might be same again tonight 
  • I intend to stay up tonight as we have no light pollution down here, but this is one for the memory bank so I'm not taking any pictures.  Went to Iceland many years ago and didn't see a thing so I hope tonight will make up for that. Another tick off the bucket list.
  • I don’t suppose it will be seen from central London?
  • https://www.swpc.noaa.gov/
    Space weather forecast 
  • Not tonight according to my astronomer brother:

I don’t think we’re going to see aurora tonight. G5 extreme geomagnetic storm is predicted for tomorrow, due to further X-class flares, so possible for tomorrow night (if the clear skies hold up!).
  • Sponsored links:

• No idea what this is, but apparently means it ain’t happening tonight.  

• I don't think all this malarkey in the UK will please the Norwegian Tourist Board... I can just imagine their sitting around a table very angry and asking 'where is this emel Hempstead!' 
  • Just got in now, and nothing of interest in the sky!