Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

(German poll on) Would you like to see more white players in the national team?

Comments

• The absolute state of society across the UK and Europe at the moment. Politicians creating culture wars to win votes has created a breeding ground for racism and hatred, all spurred on by the likes of Musk who refuses to remove these types of comments from his platform in the name of "Free Speech". Honestly feels like in the last decade we have reverted 80 years of progressive societal change.
    Hardly. Society is way more tolerant from even the 80s. Apart from the game my abiding memory (as a mixed race person) of Battle of the Bridge in 1988 was National Front campaigners trying to recruit people outside Stamford Bridge, a group way to the right of even the current main far right groups in this country
    National Front were very common outside football grounds back then, they even had a magazine dedicated to football ‘coverage’ - arseholes 
  • edited June 3
    The absolute state of society across the UK and Europe at the moment. Politicians creating culture wars to win votes has created a breeding ground for racism and hatred, all spurred on by the likes of Musk who refuses to remove these types of comments from his platform in the name of "Free Speech". Honestly feels like in the last decade we have reverted 80 years of progressive societal change.
    Hardly. Society is way more tolerant from even the 80s. Apart from the game my abiding memory (as a mixed race person) of Battle of the Bridge in 1988 was National Front campaigners trying to recruit people outside Stamford Bridge, a group way to the right of even the current main far right groups in this country
    National Front were very common outside football grounds back then, they even had a magazine dedicated to football ‘coverage’ - arseholes 
    Did they?!

Any good? Did we get much coverage? Surely had to be better than the sub standard. 
  • edited June 3
    The absolute state of society across the UK and Europe at the moment. Politicians creating culture wars to win votes has created a breeding ground for racism and hatred, all spurred on by the likes of Musk who refuses to remove these types of comments from his platform in the name of "Free Speech". Honestly feels like in the last decade we have reverted 80 years of progressive societal change.
    Did they?!

Any good? Did we get much coverage? 
    Yes they did - magazine was called ‘Bulldog’ - I never saw them at Charlton home games, but defo at Chelsea, West Ham, Arsenal and QPR

And to be clear, I never bought one !!!
  • edited June 3
    They should all look like Chris Waddle and Peter Beardsley n all!!!

All mulleted up...

Grrr!
  • What Carter said. 
  • England's best XI irrespective of colour or creed.
  • On the news, it said that this was part of an investigation into racism in football by the media company, which puts it into a different context to how it was assumed on here
  • Can't wait for Jamaica to publish their results 🤣

Tony Cozier perhaps Rambo?
    that made me think of when Chris Birchall played for Trinidad and Tobago 

He's probably thinking "FFS, how am I going to avoid getting in the team shower after the game"

You're a funny geezer Mehmet :)
  • Sponsored links:

• To be honest Germany always gives me the impression of the most racist among the top developped countries in Europe. This might sound a controversial hypothetical thought but Hitler probably wouldn't have managed to manipulate an entire country and succeeded in systematical murder of a minority ethnic group in any other major European countries...
  • The absolute state of society across the UK and Europe at the moment. Politicians creating culture wars to win votes has created a breeding ground for racism and hatred, all spurred on by the likes of Musk who refuses to remove these types of comments from his platform in the name of "Free Speech". Honestly feels like in the last decade we have reverted 80 years of progressive societal change.
    Did they?!

Any good? Did we get much coverage? 
    Yes they did - magazine was called ‘Bulldog’ - I never saw them at Charlton home games, but defo at Chelsea, West Ham, Arsenal and QPR

And to be clear, I never bought one !!!
    Yes , They we’re definitely outside the Valley 
    early 80’s giving out literature by the turnstiles behind the covered end 
  • Jessie said:
    To be honest Germany always gives me the impression of the most racist among the top developed countries in Europe. This might sound a controversial hypothetical thought but Hitler probably wouldn't have managed to manipulate an entire country and succeeded in systematical murder of a minority ethnic group in any other major European countries...
    You been to Italy or Croatia lately?
    Still see swastikas painted on walls, sometimes alongside football graffiti
    Can't remember the last time I saw one here in UK
    Haven't been to Germany as recently but never seen one there, it is specifically against the law there, as if that would stay the hand of a swivel eyed scumbag of which there is an ever increasing spread in the old East German cities.  Casual racism directed at the Turkish minority is far from unusual in Germany.
  • PopIcon said:
    Billy_Mix said:
    Jessie said:
    To be honest Germany always gives me the impression of the most racist among the top developed countries in Europe. This might sound a controversial hypothetical thought but Hitler probably wouldn't have managed to manipulate an entire country and succeeded in systematical murder of a minority ethnic group in any other major European countries...
    You been to Italy or Croatia lately?
    Still see swastikas painted on walls, sometimes alongside football graffiti
    Can't remember the last time I saw one here in UK
    Haven't been to Germany as recently but never seen one there, it is specifically against the law there, as if that would stay the hand of a swivel eyed scumbag of which there is an ever increasing spread in the old East German cities.  Casual racism directed at the Turkish minority is far from unusual in Germany.
    You can add Czech, Hungary, Bulgaria, Romania, Slovak. I'm sure if you looked at the polls, the UK would be pretty low in Europe regarding prejudice. 
    Wasnt it bulgaria we played in qualifier once and a large minority of the crowd has to be kicked out ?

Which one is Birchall?
    The ginger one.
  • I remember one of my first conversations  with a French bloke when I first came to French in 2003. I spoke to him about winning the World Cup in 1998 and he replied that it didn’t matter to him so much because of all the blacks / immigrants in the team. I just said that I disagree with that and left the building.

What has made all this more problematic since then however is the terrorist threat. Jihadists killing teachers, compromising our school party and making me wary of letting my children go into a busy public area for an event like the arrival of the olympic flame, hardly helps. I’m still going to vote Green but watch out for increased far right scores in France tomorrow. 

Which one is Birchall?
    He sticks out a mile. Got a grey top and gloves 
  • edited June 8
    I’d like to see less journalists in football.  
    Less “Americanisation” of football.
    Less on the price of tickets at all four levels.  

Skin colour, couldn’t care less, weird survey.  
    ‘Less’ Americanisation of football. ‘Fewer’ journalists. 
    I know it shouldn’t matter, sorry. My OCD. 

PS I don’t care what colour footballers are. I’d just like Charlton to get promoted. 
  • Jessie said:
    To be honest Germany always gives me the impression of the most racist among the top developped countries in Europe. This might sound a controversial hypothetical thought but Hitler probably wouldn't have managed to manipulate an entire country and succeeded in systematical murder of a minority ethnic group in any other major European countries...
    Franco and Mussolini were pretty grisly. 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited June 9
    Although I think the general question is ignorant, if the question is asked differently (and not racist) it is something that I do think about.

First of all, I look at what international football has become. It should be a competition based around who was raised in your country and/or someone with a strong bloodline linked to that country. The way nations decide who is eligible, you could argue has hindered a lot of nations and only worked in favour of the already powerhouse nations. Is just being born somewhere enough to represent a Nation? Of course I am going to say yes, as myself for example has 0 family ties to this country. I am made up of mainly Irish heritage and then rest is a scatter of Welsh and Scottish. I am however quite a proud English man and love this/my country.

If we look at Germany for an example though, one of their greatest goalscorers ever, and players imo, Klose was a huge player for them. He opted for Germany and the rest is history. Klose only joined Germany when he was 8 years old and of course worked his way through the system. Poland missed out on an astonishing striker and a chance at their nation winning silverware potentially.

You look at the France team and it has strong African roots. African football is poor as it is and they suffer immensely with funding. Any top player with African heritage will always opt for a Nation like England, France, Holland etc as they immediately become more marketable, and it progresses their club career, but at what cost? 

Imagine if countries like Ireland, Ghana, Nigeria, Morocco etc had more of their ancestral players playing for their nation, it would help their country massively on a football scale and wouldn't hold them back. As things stand, counties like Ireland, Ghana etc are at the mercy of top European players not making the cut at top National teams, and then opting for their other nationality.

Pele was quoted as saying an African team would win the world cup before 2000, and people pretty much mocked his prediction. When you consider though, the talent that has deep roots to that country, an African nation probably could have won the world cup by now. 
  • edited June 9
    Ultimately does the system in place hinder the Nations with less financial muscle, and only keep the more favourable nations to represent, stronger? 

All the stuff about skin colour etc is a pretty ugly question and is a poor question.

I do think some nations suffer by players opting to play for a Nation instead, who have a better chance at success. Hence why when a lot of players don't make the England, France team etc, you'll find them opt for their home nation such as Ireland, Nigeria etc. So a question along those lines is perfectly valid imo. 

If the purpose of international football is nations to compete, would it be better for football as a whole if players had to play for a Nation where their heritage is more deeply routed? Would this be a step in making the less favourable nations have more financial opportunities. 
  • Jessie said:
    To be honest Germany always gives me the impression of the most racist among the top developped countries in Europe. This might sound a controversial hypothetical thought but Hitler probably wouldn't have managed to manipulate an entire country and succeeded in systematical murder of a minority ethnic group in any other major European countries...
    I think if the political and economic situation was as it were in late 1920’s/early 1930’s Germany the same thing could happen in any European nation.
  • Maybe we need to rethink the concept of countries, and ponder the notion of communities bonded by their geography.
    Our very multi ethnic South East London richness of local football talent can easily be seen as an English thing if people want to frame it that way.
  • We should have a similar poll:

Would you like to see the national team playing more in white?
  • A lot of our players are opting to play for the weaker nations when eligible for England 
  • Like Salford born Dean Kiley.
  • Although I think the general question is ignorant, if the question is asked differently (and not racist) it is something that I do think about.

First of all, I look at what international football has become. It should be a competition based around who was raised in your country and/or someone with a strong bloodline linked to that country. The way nations decide who is eligible, you could argue has hindered a lot of nations and only worked in favour of the already powerhouse nations. Is just being born somewhere enough to represent a Nation? Of course I am going to say yes, as myself for example has 0 family ties to this country. I am made up of mainly Irish heritage and then rest is a scatter of Welsh and Scottish. I am however quite a proud English man and love this/my country.

If we look at Germany for an example though, one of their greatest goalscorers ever, and players imo, Klose was a huge player for them. He opted for Germany and the rest is history. Klose only joined Germany when he was 8 years old and of course worked his way through the system. Poland missed out on an astonishing striker and a chance at their nation winning silverware potentially.

You look at the France team and it has strong African roots. African football is poor as it is and they suffer immensely with funding. Any top player with African heritage will always opt for a Nation like England, France, Holland etc as they immediately become more marketable, and it progresses their club career, but at what cost? 

Imagine if countries like Ireland, Ghana, Nigeria, Morocco etc had more of their ancestral players playing for their nation, it would help their country massively on a football scale and wouldn't hold them back. As things stand, counties like Ireland, Ghana etc are at the mercy of top European players not making the cut at top National teams, and then opting for their other nationality.

Pele was quoted as saying an African team would win the world cup before 2000, and people pretty much mocked his prediction. When you consider though, the talent that has deep roots to that country, an African nation probably could have won the world cup by now. 
    On the other hand, many countries have massively benefited from players growing up in England or France, but playing for the country of the parents or grandparents. If a player is born and grows up in England, France, Netherlands etc, then that IS their country anyway, not the one their parents came from, so it's hardly the case that the western countries are poaching them. Indeed it's been great for social integration that children of immigrants can become heroes to the "native white" population.

I feel the same with Grealish and Rice. They aren't Irish kids that England stole, they're English players that Ireland tried to get to play for them, by giving them early youth caps via the grandparent rule. If England had managed to get Evan Ferguson to play for them (he has an English mother), then that would have been completely different, as he's Irish born and developed, and quite rightly wants to play for Ireland.
  • So where does everyone stand with players like Sterling who was born in Jamaica to Jamaican parents but moved here at a kid and played for England