Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Next England Manager - Thomas Tuchel

Comments

• CAFCsayer said:
    England manager has to be English for me. We are one of the major footballing nations in the world, and we should not have to resort to hiring a foreign manager. That shows we got a huge problem with our system of developing coaches etc. 

Would either Klopp, Anchelotti or Pep even want the England job. I doubt they would win IMO.

Think it will either be Howe or Potter. Imagine compensation for Howe would make Potter more likely. 

Disagree... Should be the best man for the job. Go all out for Pep and we win a major tournament
    When should we go all out for Pep? Do we try and recruit him now whilst working at Man City or at the end of the season. Pep usually takes a year off between jobs, so would be looking at 2026. 

Maybe that's why the FA are keen for Southgate to stay on for one more tournament... Pep available, Klopp had a year off, Howe with x2 years more experience etc - more options possibly in 2 years time?
  • CAFCsayer said:
    England manager has to be English for me. We are one of the major footballing nations in the world, and we should not have to resort to hiring a foreign manager. That shows we got a huge problem with our system of developing coaches etc. 

Would either Klopp, Anchelotti or Pep even want the England job. I doubt they would win IMO.

Think it will either be Howe or Potter. Imagine compensation for Howe would make Potter more likely. 

Disagree... Should be the best man for the job. Go all out for Pep and we win a major tournament
    When should we go all out for Pep? Do we try and recruit him now whilst working at Man City or at the end of the season. Pep usually takes a year off between jobs, so would be looking at 2026. 

The Pep suggestion is utterly bonkers, lets get a manager who is a genius, but also needs hours with his teams on the training field to drill them to within in inch of their lives. 
  • Adkins
    Appleton
    Holden

Let the rest of the country suffer....

Kane’s place in the team would be assured. 

Walking is brilliant after all.
  • Rothko said:
    CAFCsayer said:

The Pep suggestion is utterly bonkers, lets get a manager who is a genius, but also needs hours with his teams on the training field to drill them to within in inch of their lives. 
    I don't understand why he is a genius. He only works with the best players as it is and everyone is seemingly surprised when he wins.
  • Rothko said:
    CAFCsayer said:

I don't understand why he is a genius. He only works with the best players as it is and everyone is seemingly surprised when he wins.
    Well we keep hearing we have the best players so maybe he carries that trend on 
  • I dont think there is a lack of good English coaches, I think there is a lack of opportunity for them though. Thats before you consider how little margin for improvement there is now in football. Feasibly a decent coach, with good pedigree, well thought of (against all odds) in Jody Morris probably won't work in football management again due to a poor stint for Swindon in the 4th tier. People like Sol Campbell get pelters for saying black coaches aren't given opportunities but british coaches full stop aren't given much of a fair swing. 
  • England are the only major football country to have had non-national managers (I think). Ideally the national team manager should be English but it's a shame, and quite baffling really, why there is such a dearth of English managers at the highest level. The FA need to really address this.
  • Are English managers not getting the opportunities, or aren't they good enough?

It's extraordinary that an English manager has never won the Premier League, whereas 4 Italian managers have. And where are the English managers doing well here, then going overseas like Venables and Bobby Robson to manage big European sides?
  • I don't think Southgate will stay on, but if he does I'm fine with it.

The best club managers don't always make good international managers.  A lot of the best international managers have been promoted from U21 level & Lee Carsley has done a great job.  I'd have no problem if it's him.  Not sure the fan base would be onside with it though
  • Rothko said:
    CAFCsayer said:

Yeah it’s a piece of piss isn’t it
  • Sponsored links:

• Rothko said:
    CAFCsayer said:

And who definitely won't want the job.
  • edited July 15
    Are English managers not getting the opportunities, or aren't they good enough?

It's extraordinary that an English manager has never won the Premier League, whereas 4 Italian managers have. And where are the English managers doing well here, then going overseas like Venables and Bobby Robson to manage big European sides?
    It has to start at the top - why is the FA programme for training and qualifications not producing managers that are good enough? Top quality managers don’t just appear out of thin air.
  • England are the only major football country to have had non-national managers (I think). Ideally the national team manager should be English but it's a shame, and quite baffling really, why there is such a dearth of English managers at the highest level. The FA need to really address this.
    How though ? Our coaches do the same uefa pro licence as coaches abroad and get plenty of opportunities in the lower tiers but none seem to blast through that ceiling for some reason. When they get an opportunity at the highest level very few cut the mustard. What more can The FA do. You can’t blame PL clubs for playing it safe.
  • Chris Powell 

• ...Now we're talkin'...
  • Chris Powell 
    I’d see Chris Powell very much like Southgate. Great man manager but wouldn’t be able to compete tactically with the very best. Definitely a no from me.
  • Chris Powell 
    I’d see Chris Powell very much like Southgate. Great man manager but wouldn’t be able to compete tactically with the very best. Definitely a no from me.
    Steve Evans assistant 

• ...Now we're talkin'...
    Praps
  • I havent' heard Alan Pardew's name for a while....
  • Carter said:
    I dont think there is a lack of good English coaches, I think there is a lack of opportunity for them though. Thats before you consider how little margin for improvement there is now in football. Feasibly a decent coach, with good pedigree, well thought of (against all odds) in Jody Morris probably won't work in football management again due to a poor stint for Swindon in the 4th tier. People like Sol Campbell get pelters for saying black coaches aren't given opportunities but british coaches full stop aren't given much of a fair swing. 
    They really aren’t, jimmy floyd hasselbaink’s appointment was a diversity appointment by the FA but what was wrong with someone like Euell who was working with England already?

we need a black face in the door, let’s get a Dutch one 🤦‍♂️ 
  • Sponsored links:

• Should go all out for Klopp, but it's the FA, they'll go for nice, safe appointment. It'll be Potter
    They could offer him a contract to last just for as long as we are involved in the 2026 World Cup.
    That might just interest him?
  • Look at how well Southgate did in his first two tournaments and imagine how well a coach with any pedigree would have done 
  • Weird at the lack of successful English coaches. We can dream about Klopp. Would Rafael Benítez fill an interim gap if Southgate leaves?
  • Latest odds show Michael Beale at 20-1
  • edited July 15
    Life often imitates art, or is it the other way around?  Oh who cares?
    Give Ricky a call...
  • Eddie Howe 
  • Wouldn't hate Potter. Strong on the cultural side so some continuity with the strongest aspect of the Southgate era, but also likely to be a lot stronger on the tactical side and likes teams to play on the front foot.

Have said for a little while that Tuchel could be an interesting shout - wouldn't hate that either...
  • Bring back Hoddle

would deffo of won something 2000/2002 if he had managed to keep his stupid beliefs out of it.
  • Having an Italian and a Swede as manager is one thing, you cannot have a German managing the English national side.