Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Thomas - £3.25m??

WSSWSS
edited August 2007 in Rumours
from tribalfootball.com - no quotes or anything though:

Derby County are set close the signing of Charlton Athletic winger Jerome Thomas.
Thomas is moving to Pride Park for a £3.25million deal to be sealed in the next 48 hours.

Derby have agreed a fee with Charlton - after a £2.5m bid was rejected - and Thomas, 24, is due to have a medical today.

Comments

• Options
    sold to the men in white shirts......we'll miss him but that's a good price
  • Options
    I thought he was supposed to be valued at £8 million as a deterant to him leaving?

I thought Pardew said he was committed to the club for another season along with Ambrose & Reid?

Or should I not believe everything I read on a website?
  • Options
    Bit puzzling really if true

our valuation £8m, so £5m
    a year in ccc not gonna do him any harm
    wages probably about 7k max due to clause in his contract
    we are short of quality and wide men
    Derby are hardly a glamour side

Big hmmm... must be something else going on
  • Options
    I would take that sort of cash for him, but it seems a pretty shortsighted move on his part. Derby are likely to struggle and the chances of them going down are probably on a par or slightly better than us going up. I guess it would be a payrise but it is hardly likely to increase his potential worth that much.
  • Options
    I'd be disappointed if this does go through. As i said before, Thomas is one of the few players that could help turn draws into wins. He is a quality above this league when on form. I can see that Pardew is trying to build for the future, but Thomas is a player for now and would be an asset in helping get us out this league.

Its a good price for a player we would of sold for £1m eight months ago, but do we really need the money now ???
  • Options
    Is the quote on tribal just idle gossip to fill a page?

Or is there really no smoke without fire?
  • Options
    Considering what Pards has said, the only reason I can see that this might happen is because Thomas has done a Parker and thrown his toys out the pram.

If he wants to go then fine, lets get what we can for him but I would be concerned by our lack of options on the left. It would leave Reid as our only real option and considering his fitness record and tendency to wonder out of position, this would be a worry.
  • Options
    it was in The Sun today as well.

Its been floated around the last week, no smoke without fire IMO
  • Options
    That price might be too good to turn down unfortunately, obviously Derby may come down but it would guarantee another season in the premier league which is no doubt where he wants to be.
  • Options
    i cant see this, think JT will want to stay in london and likes playing under pards, also as someone has also said he must see derby as a short sighted move.

Also dont think pards would off come out and sounded so sure that he is staying to then go and sell him to derby.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I've never been to Derby but I wouldn't have thought it was the sort of cosmopolitan place that young Jerome would want to be photographed in.

Is there a China Whites in Derby?
  • Options
    errr hasn't he committed to the club for a year according to Suralun?
  • Options
    One explanation: everthing which appears on that website is anything but fact. FACT.
  • Options
    i agree, but the sooner i see Jerome back playing for us, the better it will be as it will help ease these rumours.

Our squad will be left seriously unbalanced if he goes.
  • Options
    It's the same rumour thats been floating around for a while NOTW 3 weeks ago had it, again last week, Sun this week. Sounds like someone is playing games
  • Options
    Lazy journalism again T
  • Options
    Tribal football just rehashes rumours in the papers as their own, so I think you're right MCS

I'm sure Derby would love to sign the bloke however...
  • Options
    This would be a bad move, both for Jerome & for the club. When fit, he could be the best player in our team. I really can't believe Pards would let him go.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]it was in The Sun today as well. Its been floated around the last week, no smoke without fire IMO
    I think you're right, I think there is something in it, we'll know by Saturday I guess.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Unless it's agent talk - some scummy agent behaving like Diawara's trying to stir up a fat commission for himself?

Can't really imagine JT foregoing the bright lights of London for gaslit Derby, when he can play to his ego down here and be the biggest fish in our pond.

And if it doesn't work out for him here, some desparate Premier Pirhana fish like the Hammer Scammers will buy him out in January.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Barn Door Lisbie[/cite]Considering what Pards has said, the only reason I can see that this might happen is because Thomas has done a Parker and thrown his toys out the pram.

If he wants to go then fine, lets get what we can for him but I would be concerned by our lack of options on the left. It would leave Reid as our only real option and considering his fitness record and tendency to wonder out of position, this would be a worry.

I think the "toys out of the pram" scenario is most likely with him. He has always struck me as a moody player at the best of times. Pards wont suffer players not giving 100% to the cause and has decided to get rid.

I very much suspect that his "injury" is just a cover story.
  • Options
    Isn't he out of contract at the end of the season?

Might have suggested he wouldn't sign a new contract so they are cashing in now?
  • Options
    I reckon it's true. So there !!
  • Options
    Considering Pardew said JT would feature on tuesday night and he wasn't even on the bench makes me think this story is true.
  • Options
    Thomas is gone as I said when he wasn't even on the bench for Sporting Braga.

I've seen it too many times before over the years, the denial, the diplomatic injury, the departure.

Why aren't we honest about these things? Everyone sees through the bulls***!
  • Options
    The thing is JT always has a knock of some sort, so you cannot be sure.
  • Options
    Thomas is an ok player......would be no great loss, but if i was him i wiould sit tight.......with all due respect to Derby and looking on the positives we could be passing each other again in May..........then how would JT feel............
  • Options
    then he could always move again .... he may have an overriding desire to play in the PL, rather than become a regular in a title chasing CCC team - up to him.
  • Options
    I don't think players look much further than playing in the premier league now...plastic players I call them.

People talking about losing a left-sided player, but isn't Thomas primarily right-footed, can't remember too many times he's got down the line and whipped in a cross, always cuts in and crosses, not a criticism just an observation. Maybe Sam could do a job on the left, he's got great energy levels, pace, may not have Thomas skills but certainly has a great attitude, I for one would like to see him get a run.