Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Thomas - £3.25m??

Comments

• Options
    problem is we need to bring someone in now pronto, not best way to run a club (if true) but i guess sometimes unavoidable..
  • Options
    Perhaps JT's had a spat with Marcus over one of their women and needs to get away...Just a thought
  • Options
    I'd be really sorry if this actually happens. As AFKA said one of the few players that could turn a draw into a win and that's going to be so important this season when we're up against 11 men playing behind the ball. Think the boy has genuine quality. Concerned about the injury and the fact that this rumour's refusing to die though.

If we don't need the money then don't sell him.
  • Options
    A lot of people on here seem convinced he is going. I am sure IF he is going Pards would not stitch himself without having the opportunity to replace him with someone suitable. Thomas for me has stood still even possibly gone backwards at CAFC last couple of years, in my opinion he would not be the great loss people seem to think he would be. Still not convinced he is going BTW.
  • Options
    Agree with that Ketters.
  • Options
    i can only think if he was going, it would be because Pards has someone he prefers lined up. I know that at the end of last season, Jerome wanted to stay. An offer from glamourous Derby wouldn't change that view, unless Pards has said he is down the pecking order IMO.
  • Options
    perhaps McLoud is Thomas' replacement..?
  • Options
    Money talks at the end of the day.

If Derby are paying him 3 times what we can then he might go, agent sticking his nose in etc.

Not that im accusing Jerome of being motivated by money...
  • Options
    I'd be very disappointed if he went. Jerome could take this season by storm, and without him, I'd be worried about the left side of midfield as I think he's the only player in the squad who can give us genuine width on the left. Hope its not true/Pards has a replacement lined up.
  • Options
    He'll stay. I think even he has the brains to realise that going to Derby isn't going to be much fun, and it certainly won't be a good move for his career because they are pretty much certainties to come back down! So, he can go to the Premiership and lose every week and get relegated. Or he can stay in the Championship and win most games (hopefully), have a shot at some silverware (hopefully) and then play for at least a season in the Premiership (mega hopefully).

He'd be dumb if he went.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: time2fast[/cite]He'd be dumb if he went.

errr... ;-)
  • Options
    I think a lot of this could hinge on whether Giles Barnes leaves Derby, and for what price.
  • Options
    If Thomas moves it typifies many footballers today, who make short term moves knowing that even if they get relegated they can move on to a new club straight away. It's for this reason that i have extra respect for those players who stuck with us when we got relegated in 98/99 and stayed with us to win the Championship, even though several of that squad could have easily moved on. I hope Thomas stays but if he decides to move on against Pards wishes, then he can fuck off to Derby and see his career die in the same way Danny Mills did in 99 when he went to 'high flyers' Leeds.
  • Options
    In fairness Danny Mills career hardly died then did it?!
    Two or three years later really.
  • Options
    That's what I tried to say but had trouble posting.

He started in the England team at the World Cup the following year!

Don't think that was the same really. He went to a club that at the time was a genuine leap. It's well documented that it was also the transfer that lead to us keeping Kinsella and strengthening other areas and only Leeds would have been stupid enough to pay the money they did!
  • Options
    Staying with us may be Thomas' only chance of winning something in his career.
  • Options
    Let's not forget he cost 100k.
  • Options
    mart77's point is a good one - if he does go and then has a good season for Derby, he's still likely to get a move to another Premiership club if they're relegated.

Was surprised that he was still with us for the start of the season - if only because he seems the type of player to believe his own hype - and £3m would seem be a fair price.
  • Options
    The boy does seem to have genuine exciting talent, but does he do it on a regluar enough basis? Is he up for the fight in this division? (not saying he's not, but we'll see).

The money mentioned seems a very reasonable price to me.
  • Options
    I would not mind him going for 3.25 million, thats a huge profit given that we only got him for 100,000 four years ago.

I don't rate him as highly as others seem to and if he wants to go then let him go, I think it says it all that the only club that has come in for him is the one that is 90% certain to finish bottom of the Prem.....

If we sell for that money then we can hold onto it until the January window and make some strengthening buys then.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'm with you there, Ormy. He's too much of a show pony for my liking - occasioally, but only rarely with real impact. He epitomised our season last year- was AWFUL v Wycombe (I'd have been more than happy never to see him in the shirt again after that night), turned it on against Wham, then faded away as the season ended.

Let's cash in.
  • Options
    he is not consistent and as Ormiston pointed out 3.25 mil for a 100k buy is a great profit....let him go
  • Options
    profit has got nothing to do with it really though, he is a Charlton player, on our books - I think £3.25M is a good deal - it doesn't matter whether we paid £100k or £5M
  • Options
    Salad, are you sure mate?

Yes, he is a Charlton player and on his day a very good one but reading the Telegraph article you can see the club is looking to raise 20 million quid from the city so finances are still not all that great.

Therefore, making 3.1 million quid selling a player who we bought for 100,000 would be a major boost to the finances.

If we had bought him for 5 million we'd be losing nearly two million quid instead which would be a huge blow given our CCC status.

We have already lost 1 million on Traore, a fortune on JFH's wages, 1 million on Diawara and probably 2 million on Faye so anything we can recoup without buggering up the team has got to be looked at seriously.

The bottom line is that no move can take place unless he agrees to it and if he agrees to it then that means he wants to go so he can feck right off.
  • Options
    would be gutted if he left.........he was the best player on the pitch v Welling in our first pre-season and by all accounts played well in the games in Spain.

He will be missed if he goes.........£3.25 may be a good price, but money isn't e everything.We are crying out for a left sided player and the last 2 games have shown that Reidy is better in the middle than out wide.

Can't really see the truth in all this anyway........but i'm usually wrong !
  • Options
    All very true Golfie but does HE want to stay or has he had his head turned by a move (albeit temporarily) back to the Prem with Derby? That's the key question and if he goes it will be because he wanted to move not because the club pushed him.

If Pards wanted to keep the player then, as with Diawara, the move will only happen if the player demands it.
  • Options
    arguably we haven't lost anything on Diawara, he served 1 year of a four year contract and was sold for a deal in total worth in excess of 3/4 of his purchase price
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]Salad, are you sure mate?

Yes, he is a Charlton player and on his day a very good one but reading the Telegraph article you can see the club is looking to raise 20 million quid from the city so finances are still not all that great.

Therefore, making 3.1 million quid selling a player who we bought for 100,000 would be a major boost to the finances.

If we had bought him for 5 million we'd be losing nearly two million quid instead which would be a huge blow given our CCC status.

We have already lost 1 million on Traore, a fortune on JFH's wages, 1 million on Diawara and probably 2 million on Faye so anything we can recoup without buggering up the team has got to be looked at seriously.

The bottom line is that no move can take place unless he agrees to it and if he agrees to it then that means he wants to go so he can feck right off.
    If we received money for him that was a major boost for finances, then it would be a major boost for the finances, full stop. What we originally shelled out isn't relevant to the balance sheet, that money has gone.

For argument's sake, say we had Dennis Thomas bought for £100k and Jerome Rommedahl bought for £5M ... and imagine they were very similar players and personalities, equally valued by Charlton and other people in football .... and on identical contracts.

If we sold one of them for £3M to boost the club's finances, it wouldn't matter which one.
  • Options
    I think the wages have as much of an impact as transfer fees. Jimmy Floyd was free but cost £2M in Wages, Marcus Bent is costing £21K per week or £1.05M per annum.
  • Options
    Not quite £2M - I believe JFH was paid roughly on a par with Marcus - but he stil cost us a million in wages, though.
    2 League goals plus 2 in the cup = £250,000 per goal.

Now if last year Marcus scored 1 in the League and 1in the cup, and earned about the same - then
    he cost us £500,000 per goal.

No argument. JFH was a bargain......... !

;-)