Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Hartlepools Utd v Charlton - Preview, Views and News

edited October 2011 in General Charlton
Those who look for omens and auguries will recall that it was in this fixture last season that the first cracks appeared in Chris Powell's Charlton.  At the time the 2 - 1 away defeat seem a mere set-back soon to be corrected in front of a bumper Valley crowd v Exeter.  How wrong we were.

But this is an almost totally different Charlton squad and Chris Powell is an older and wiser manager, in large part due to the hard lessons taught since that defeat at Victoria Park.

What could have become a similar slide post Stevenage has been quickly averted by solid wins v Carlisle and away to High Wycombe.   Powell played the same starting XI in both and that points to a hat-trick of unchanged teams.  Dale Stephens is the most likely to make either the starting line up or bench but Powell has said that he has been carrying an injury or two as well as his new baby so don't count on it.  Winning games and so sticking to the same team is officially seen as a "good thing" at CL Towers but it doesn't half make writing previews difficult.

As for Hartlepool they started very well and looked as if they could be this years Bournemouth ie the unfancied and underfunded team who breaks into the top six but they have fallen away badly in recent weeks.  They have won only won one of their last five (away to Chesterfield) and not kept a clean sheet in six.  36 year old Nobby Solano has been missing from the past few squads but ex-Palace keeper Scott Flinders should give those hardy Addicks fans making the trip someone to share some "banter" with.

With Charlton making the journey to this match by plane the headlines about "high-flying Addicks" are waiting to be written.   2 - 0 to the Londoners.

-----------------------

The statto bit

Charlton 1st.  Highest Possible 1st, Lowest 2nd
Hartlepool 10th.  Highest possible 5th; Lowest 14th

Saturday, 29 October 2011 - Selected Games

Walsall v MK Dons, 15:00

A Poolie View  http://www.pooliebunker.co.uk/newbunker/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=41391

Comments

• Surely Hartlepool Utd v Charlton?
  • Were Hartlepools when I was a kid and so they ever shall be.

But thanks for the constructive feedback : - )
  • How do they play, passing game or physical like the sides we struggled against??
  • The 'pool fans don't seem to confident. Hope they're right.
  • Are you sure about the team flying oop north, Henry ?

Steve Kavanagh said he was making them go by coach this time.....

• Are you sure about the team flying oop north, Henry ?

Matt Taylor said they were flying.  I wouldn't believe a word that Kavanagh bloke told me : - )
  • Will they have Oompa Lumpas out on Saturday?
  • Bunch of wonkas.
  • Stelling 1 1 Davidson
  • edited October 2011
    I feel good nah nah nah nah nah nah nah and I knew that I would - Hartlepool 1 (James Brown) Charlton top of the league Athletic 3 ( BWP, Kermit & Jackson pen)
  • Sponsored links:

• edited October 2011
  • edited October 2011

Are you sure about the team flying oop north, Henry ?

Matt Taylor said they were flying.  I wouldn't believe a word that Kavanagh bloke told me : - )
    Don't believe anyone.

They're going by train tomorrow afternoon.

• They left on horseback this morning.
  • Anyone know how they play? Physical and long balls or try and pass it about?
  • with the huge following you'd expect of a team top of the table there can be only one outcome 1-1
  • Really wanted to go to this, but trains fecked and no way am I doing 12-13 hours on a coach.

Good feeling about this one (again) so it will no doubt be a disaster.

Lots of talk about our good disciplinary record this week. Early red card and 2-0 defeat.
  • A draw or better will do nicely....

Hopefully the boys are buzzing after the last two wins and the momentum from that can carry us to a third.
  • much more similar team to carlisle than tranmere or stevenage, in that they have smaller lads that like to play the ball about, james brown is definiteley there dangerman.
  • The first game I'm missing in 12, I just hope that after hitch hiking all the way oooop north the squad can get another 3 valuable points. 2-1 the Addicks.

Are you sure they weren't West Hartlepool then, Henry? ;-)
  • Sponsored links:

• 1-3 to the londoners - Bwp 2 Kermorgant - COYR

Oi!  you can't be that much younger than me, if at all : - )

And even a rugger hater like me knows that West Hartlepool play the odd shaped ball game.
  • Hard fought 1-1 draw I think in the cold North.

BWP with a late leveller in front of the 300 travelling hordes.

Oi!  you can't be that much younger than me, if at all : - )

And even a rugger hater like me knows that West Hartlepool play the odd shaped ball game.
    I have a horrible feeling I might be older ;-)
  • I was born the week Spurs did the double!
  • edited October 2011
    You're are the winner.  I was born a few years later in the week that Preston's Alex Dawson put a headed hat-trick past the Addicks (he'd scored in the cup final earlier that year).
  • edited October 2011
    Hasn't been  Hartlepools since 1967, I believe!

More concerned about what is the difference between an ''omen'' and an ''augury'' . (I think they both mean 'portent'...)

Away win, by three goals to nowt.

That will give us 37 pts  - and with only five games left until Xmas after Sat, I predict CAFC top of the league  on 25/12 with 48-50 pts.
  • edited October 2011
    You're are the winner.  I was born a few years later in the week that Preston's Alex Dawson put a headed hat-trick past the Addicks (he'd scored in the cup final earlier that year).

so only a couple of years in it, then Stig

Nigel, thought you would have got the flying + augury allusion being the smart arse you are but obviously flew right over your head, literally : - )

• The Pious Bird Of Good Omen may well have flown over my head. But I bought the album in 1969!