Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

more Bent rumours

edited June 2007 in Rumours
a couple of papers say Spurs have upped their bid for dazza but this one says £12 mill and Gardner, which aint the greatest imo!

another bent moving to spurs link

Comments

• this is gonna happen, I would've hoped for either a bit more money and/or another player thrown in, but I suspect there won't be.
  • After Varney speaking out again about holding firm, i hope that is exactly what we do.

If Spurs are not going to raise the cash component, then its £12m, plus Gardner and Routledge, or no deal.
  • but can you honestly see it, if say it's the only bid on the table in a fortnight ?.....I would love to say yes, but past experience tells me otherwise..at the end of the day it depends on what targets Pards has I spose and how much he needs
  • the only thing that made me think we might accept is that players like eastwood and sharp are close to moving to rival ccc clubs and pards may prefer to take a slight loss than miss out on some of his targets.
  • slowly getting there

they are hooked, only they dont know it, all we have to do is reel them in a couple of million at a time....
  • Daily mail says £13M: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/sport/football.html?in_article_id=463226&in_page_id=1779

I think we would take £14M of guaranteed cash, but if there is an offer of upto £14M from Spurs - I would expect at least a couple of million to be subject to strenuous clauses eg. qualifying for Champions League
  • Us fans should demand 18 million or no sale. I fed up that Charlton keeps on letting their players go cheap. Bent should stay if 18+ doesnt come in. I cant believe people are happy with only 14 million. When Ath Madrid wants 25 million pounds for Torres Bent is defenitley worth 18 million.
  • [cite]Posted By: pete_tong1[/cite]Us fans should demand 18 million or no sale. I fed up that Charlton keeps on letting their players go cheap. Bent should stay if 18+ doesnt come in. I cant believe people are happy with only 14 million. When Ath Madrid wants 25 million pounds for Torres Bent is defenitley worth 18 million.

Funny that when I tried to pin you done to a price a few weeks back you dodged the question. Now you are sure that it has to be £18m or we've sold him on the cheap.

Actually don't think we have sold players cheap in recent years. Bent came for £2.5m so what ever we sell for is a huge profit. We got more for Parker than either Chelsea or Newcastle did. Who else this century has gone too cheaply?
  • Parker to west ham. he'll be gravy there.
    forlan to villareal. now being mentioned with a £15 mill move back to england.
  • edited June 2007
    Oh I have said 18 million quid in the past. No dodging the question there Henry. Anyway its not my business not my money in the club so Im a bit irellivant really.
  • Sponsored links:

• Guys don't panic. Its not even July yet!! We have months to hold out for the right price...And if it doesn't come then we don't sell.

Pete - It doesn't say the club is going to sell for that price it just says they have offered that....

It could report that Ive offered you £100k for your house. Doesn't mean you're gonna sell it to me does it?
  • [cite]Posted By: CharltonDan[/cite]
    It could report that Ive offered you £100k for your house. Doesn't mean you're gonna sell it to me does it?

depends how badly he needs to raise some cash....
  • [cite]Posted By: CharltonDan[/cite]Guys don't panic. Its not even July yet!! We have months to hold out for the right price...And if it doesn't come then we don't sell.

Make no mistake we need the money. If this drags on i'm under no illusion that D.Bent will still leave and we'll be left with no-one siutable as a replacement.
  • edited June 2007
    Lets get one thing straight. You can't just replace a player like Darren.

We can try but does anyone honestly believe we will find someone with the pace, strength, finishing, and aerial ability that Darren has. I think with players like him we are better off pulling out all the stops to keep as opposed to selling.

When we sold Parker everyone said ten mill would buy three or four quality players and that would help the squad.

We got Jeffers, Murphy and Rommedahl.
  • I wonder if Liverpool really do want him? I have to say, if I was him, even if I had grown up and put roots down in London, I'd still rather be at Liverpool than Spurs (esp as he is a Gooner). I find it really strange he is so desperate to join Spurs, who to be honest, don't seem to treat most of their players that well, as most of them seem to have had a pop at management at one time or another.
  • i totally agree carter but i do however think that pards will spend any money more wisely than curbs would.
  • [cite]Posted By: Charltonchick[/cite]I find it really strange he is so desperate to join Spurs

Apart from random paper talk, is there actually anything to back up these comments?

The only official word I have heard is that bent wants to stay, I've never heard him say he wants to go spurs/arsenal/united/the moon.

We need to stop worrying about something that is entirely out of our hands, roll on the season Dazza might still be our No. 10, have some faith guys.
  • Who's available though?! We don't want to pay through the nose for someone a club does not want to sell (Sharp) neither do we want to be signing cast offs.

You are right however I think Pardew will spend whatever money he gets wisely. We have a lot of dead wood to offload before we even contemplate selling Benty
  • [cite]Posted By: Carter[/cite]Lets get one thing straight. You can't just replace a player like Darren.

We can try but does anyone honestly believe we will find someone with the pace, strength, finishing, and aerial ability that Darren has. I think with players like him we are better off pulling out all the stops to keep as opposed to selling.

When we sold Parker everyone said ten mill would buy three or four quality players and that would help the squad.

We got Jeffers, Murphy and Rommedahl.

To be fair on paper those 3 were quality players before we signed them. Rommedahl had had a good European Championships, Murphy had a good reputation as did Jeffers.

What we didn't know before they came was that they only looked good because of the better players around them.

They did not have the ability or mental toughness to accept the responsibility of being the main men we expected them to be.

I agree that Bent will be extremely difficult to replace.
  • [cite]Posted By: Stu of SE7[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Charltonchick[/cite]I find it really strange he is so desperate to join Spurs

Apart from random paper talk, is there actually anything to back up these comments?

The only official word I have heard is that bent wants to stay, I've never heard him say he wants to go spurs/arsenal/united/the moon.

No smoke without fire. Let's be honest he didn't turn down West ham at the last minute to stay with us did he, he turned them down because he knows bigger and better clubs are in for him.
  • Sponsored links:

• I heard a few weeks ago that Spurs were his preferred choice
  • he's going spurs cos he has been told he's gonna be up front with berbatov and keane playing behind him , sounds like defoes on his way...... and he doesn't wanna move too far north
  • imo
    club finances dictate there is no way we are keeping bent.
    there may come a point where the forthcoming offers will peak, then if turned down, clubs will either turn their attentions to other targets or will realise that time is running out for us to spend any money we get. they will then retract their original offers and submit lower offers because we need a quick sale.
    our biggest problem is knowing when the price will peak and who darren is prepared to sign for.
  • edited June 2007
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]he's going spurs cos he has been told he's gonna be up front with berbatov and keane playing behind him , sounds like defoes on his way...... and he doesn't wanna move too far north

defoe to arsenal?
    he's certainly not worried about upsetting sets of fans.
    btw defoe is 66/1 to be top prem scorer with some firms. may be worth looking at if there is an e/w market.

edited
    skybet defoe 66/1. e/w 1/4 odds top 4 goalscorers.
  • from sky sports

addicks play hard ball over bent...
  • Bit worrieed about all this though, we have seen it before, where a player knows other clubs want him, but Charlton are stalling for the asking price, then don't get it, but the player still knows he is wanted and gets too big for his boots and just gives up trying so hard. Saw it with Porker and Murphy, just a bit concering he will know that say Liverpool offered £13m but not the whole £17m, then will sulk until January when we let him go cos he's been whinging.
  • [cite]Posted By: Charltonchick[/cite]Bit worrieed about all this though, we have seen it before, where a player knows other clubs want him, but Charlton are stalling for the asking price, then don't get it, but the player still knows he is wanted and gets too big for his boots and just gives up trying so hard. Saw it with Porker and Murphy, just a bit concering he will know that say Liverpool offered £13m but not the whole £17m, then will sulk until January when we let him go cos he's been whinging.

I take your point, and maybe I am wrong, but I don't see Darren as that type of person.
  • I have the feeling a deal will be done over the next couple of days and he will sign, presumably for Spurs on Monday.

At a guess £14M plus Gardner plus hypothetical add-ons for CL qualification etc.
  • Just reading on the bbc gossip coloum Mido is going down the pecking order and fulham are interested,
    whats your thoughts on charlton wanting him as part of the package for d.bent?
    could this be the player they offer instead of murphy along with gardenar
  • forget it. well out of our wages league.