Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rhodes off to Norwich

edited January 2012 in General Charlton
Jordan Rhodes is now 1/2 to join Norwich according to sky bet. will be interesting to see what happens and if lee clark sticks to his words..

Comments

• Well, if it happens today it will absolutely kill off any chance they have of grabbing 2nd place and maybe even a play-off position as they won't have time to find a suitable replacement (unless they have a contingency plan of course).
  • edited January 2012
    This won't happen. What's the point of selling Rhodes on deadline day and then trying to get a striker in. Also if they go up Rhodes will be worth more
  • I'm sure 'uddersfield would have a contingency plan if Rhodes goes. The lure of the PL would be too much to resist.
  • I think the point is that if Norwich have made 'indicated' how much Rhodes will earn at Carrow Road he might 'demand' to move, and if they then refuse to sell him it might make he useless for long enough for it to cost them this season and he will, then, no doubt move in the summer. This could be (I know it's unlikely) Rhodes only chance to move to a Premier League club. Also Norwich are 'small' enough for him to get playing time and a move if a really big club come in for him. For Rhodes this is a win, win situation. If he can't get into the first team at Norwich he will, ultimately, be loaned out and his contract, and his salary, will, presumably, be guaranteed. I can't, personally, see any reason as to why he wouldn't want to go there.

As for the club, there is no guarantee of promotion if they keep him. I know this is true of all teams, but if either of the Sheffield clubs win their game in hand, and then match Huddersfield to the end of the season they are back in the lottery again. If Norwich offer them more than they expect to get in the summer it is a gamble to keep him.
  • I'm praying he goes!!! The guy is a bloody goal machine
  • Norwich look likely to stay up, he originally began at Ipswich I believe so could be from around that area......good move for him (and others in L1)
  • I think Huddersfield should let him go after all they do have Alan Lee and Danny Cadamarteri to step up to the plate!!!
  • Would be very good news for those who backed BWP top scorer & Charlton double too...
  • I can see Norwich getting him and then loaning them someone like Jackson.
  • Huddersfield should hold onto him and then let him join us in the summer for cash plus players. We can give them £500,000 and three from the squad that got us up (Doc, Hughes and Russell (if we can convince them he is ours))
  • Sponsored links:

• It's also extremely handy for some excellent RSPB reserves. This could be a factor if Rhodes is a keen birdwatcher, though admittedly he probably isn't.
  • Norwich look likely to stay up, he originally began at Ipswich I believe so could be from around that area......good move for him (and others in L1)
    born in Oldham

• cfgs

I think Preston might have a say in our selling Russell to Huddersfield, as he is currently on loan to us.
  • @LargeAddick doh, to be fair my comment was complete guesswork on where he's from!!!
  • I can see Norwich getting him and then loaning them someone like Jackson.
    Jackson's been scoring in the last few weeks so don't think they'd do that, but agree that Huddersfield would need to have someone lined up, even if just to placate their fans.
  • Is Lee Clark on a percentage of the transfer profit? In which case, he might have to weigh up which is the larger: ten per cent of the profit on Rhodes or the promotion bonus the Huddersfield board has promised him !

Of course, I'm sure he wouldn't do that. But it does show the kind of conflict of interest these Redknapp-style deals can potentially create...
  • Lee Clark's price to go manage Leicester did a similar thing last year
  • Ah, football, so bloody predictable at times, isn't it?

I said on here after his goal feast that he would be snapped up by the Premiership and was beginning to doubt myself, thank Christ for Paul Lambert!

Great news for us, the Terriers can't afford to lose him.
  • I only want him to go as I had BWP as top scorer.

So did I - in a E/W yankee with Darren Bent, Michael Chopra and Izale McLeod.
  • Sponsored links:

• I want him to go as I laid that he wouldn't be top scorer in the division.

Still not convinced anyone will catch his total already accrued but it's worth £25 to me
  • Interesting question: if he does go to Norwich, when was the last time a striker jumped straight to the prem from div three - and the move was a success?

I'm also wondering if the close of the transfer window means BWP can start scoring again. 14 goals by Nov 21 put him right in the frame for a transfer bid. No goals in the last ten weeks probably took him out of the shop window again, so perhaps we should be grateful for his drought. OK, BWP. As you were. You can put your shooting boots back on now, and a Bury hat-trick tonight will do nicely!
    Me too, but even if he goes I doubt BWP will catch him on his current total.
  • Didn't Beckford go to Everton?
  • cfgs

I think Preston might have a say in our selling Russell to Huddersfield, as he is currently on loan to us.
    I know that is why I put, if we can convince them he is ours. It was a joke and I wanted to put three, but couldn't think of another fringe player

• Really can't see this happening, Hudds would be crazy.
  • Could Norwich possibly sign him, then loan him back for the remainder of the season, therby possibly reducing the signing on fee?
  • not seen this muted anywhere so not even a rumour imo
  • edited January 2012
    you never know what's in a player's contract, Dusty could have a get away clause. Anyway, Lambert has a great record in improving already good players, look what he's done with Holt and Morison, Jackson, Surman, Whitbread .. Norwich is a club on the up and it could be a great move for Rhodes. If Huddersfield don't get up this season then Clark will be gone and Rhodes' value will decrease. It's a tough choice for the terriers, but that's life
  • not seen this muted anywhere so not even a rumour imo

Because you haven't seen it?!