Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Guardian mentions Powell as potential WBA candidate

edited April 2012 in General Charlton

West Bromwich Albion will target Chris Hughton as a replacement for Roy Hodgson should he, as expected, become the England manager in the next 48 hours, it is has been claimed by the Press Association.

Hughton came close to replacing Roberto Di Matteo at the Hawthorns 15 months ago after being sacked by Newcastle United and was interviewed for the post before Hodgson was chosen.

He has further enhanced his reputation since taking charge of Birmingham last summer. Despite losing most of last season's relegated squad, Hughton guided the Midlands club to fourth in the Championship and, on Friday, they will travel to Blackpool for the first leg of their play-off semi-final.

Compensation would be an issue and Birmingham will be keen to hold on to Hughton after Alex McLeish left last summer to join Aston Villa.

It is believed West Bromwich are also considering their former coach Michael Appleton – now manager at Portsmouth – and the Bristol City manager and former Albion midfielder, Derek McInnes.

Alan Curbishley, who rejected the chance to take over at Wolves in February, Cardiff's Malky Mackay and Charlton's Chris Powell are also potential candidates.
Hopefully just a bit of lazy journalism...

Comments

• why would powell go? We will be bigger than west brom in a few years time?
  • He won't leave. I have no fear.
  • I'm almost certain he wouldn't leave this early into the project either.
  • Why would he be appointed? He has one season a and a few months as a manager and WBA are going to let him loose on a premiership team?
  • Yep, comes across as a journalist shooting off a name of a recently sucessful manager rather than having inside knowledge
  • Thought of Curbs for this role.

Seems a stable club in terms of finances and ownership, Curbs applied for the Villa and Wolves jobs so location would suit aswell.

Can't see Powell leaving.
  • Nice to see him get a bit of recognition
  • edited April 2012
    Confident that we'll be safe here, SCP won't be going anywhere.
  • Don't you think Hudders decline since Lee Clark left shows how good a manager he is. Wolves should snap him up
  • Powell lived in the Midlands for a while when with Leicester.

Sure he'd jump at the chance to move back up there and manage a Premier League club.

Done deal I reckon. Megson to take over in SE7
  • Sponsored links:

• I'm pleased to see Hughton being recognised as a good manager. He got a raw deal from Newcastle but showed what he can do with Brum. Too early for CP to leave us.
  • no clark had failed at huddersfield the past few seasons, the sacking was justified for me. Sometimes these new mid season managers work out ala dave jones, sometimes they don't.

Sure he'd jump at the chance to move back up there and manage a Premier League club.

The dream scenario!

• Alex McLeish to get Villa relegated, then move over to WBA to go for the West Midlands hattrick :-)

Hughton is a good shout if Birmingham don't go up certainly. If Chelsea don't appoint him, perhaps they should invite Di Matteo back, as his stock has risen in resent weeks !
  • I reckon Mick McCarthy should go there!

I kid.

Potential step up for Roberto Martinez? Or does he need a bigger job?
  • Martinez can wait for a slightly bigger job I think

Yep.

If CP doesn't take the job then it demonstrates a lack of ambition on his part.

The dream scenario!

I know this is a joke , but to be factual SCP still lived in London whilst playing for Leicester.When appointed Charlton manager he said my kids will be seeing a lot more of me.

I agree it would be a good job for Curbs.

• No doubt Chris will go ...NOT ...such lazy reporting
  • After the first couple of names mentioned, the journo just lists the usual candidates - because of our season, Chris Powell has been added to that list. I expect him to be linked to every top managerial job both in the English leagues and the Scottish.
  • Sponsored links:

• why would powell go? We will be bigger than west brom in a few years time?
    This.

• Worrying .. but the Grauniad is surely merely speculating .. also, Powell built his own side here, he won't get the same consideration at WBA .. Powell's record last season with 'inherited players' was not good.
  • Made for Martinez
  • Curbs would be more likely in my opinion, and I think quite of few would be ahead of SCP, rightly or wrongly.
  • Not sweating on this one tbh. I doubt Chris is ready for a step up to the Prem and I doubt any Prem Chairman do either.
  • Hmm, stand by chaps and chapesses for Chris being linked to every managerial vacancy in the top two tiers.

I can't see the WBA one as being anything more than lazy speculative journalism.
  • I think chris is in it for the long haul, he's said as much. Unless an offer becomes too good to refuse (either for him or the club) I fully expect him to stay for as long as he is wanted
  • Charlton is "his club". I can understand that one day he might like to move on elsewhere, but I'd like to think that he'd want to take us a little further first.
  • Nothing to worry about, won't happen.
  • Nah not a chance of CP going anywhere until this time next year at the very earliest. Div 3 to the Prem in one move = very lazy journo.