Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Jack Butland

So ive seen this young fella has been included in the England squad. I must admit I dont know an awful lot about him. I heard he was playing for Cheltenham Town this year? I know he is a goaly but if anyone else can shed some light id be greatful, just so i look like a pro when its talked about down the pub!

Comments

• he becomes a quality keeper on football manager... if that helps ;) but if the Hodge rates him he must be half decent
  • I know he's still on holiday if that helps.
  • I'd have taken Hamer - could be a future England number 1 or 2 for me.
  • I'd have taken Hamer - could be a future England number 1 or 2 for me.
    England's number 2 will be Solly surely?

Hamer will never be England material, he's good, but won't quite ever be good enough
  • Saw a couple of the U - 20 world cup games England played last summer and Butland was truly outstanding. Think he won an award or somehting, definitely deserves his place
  • Hamer has great potential - I think distribution is a great asset for the modern keeper and he has the talent. Saw improvements in commanding his area as the season progressed. yes, he needs to improve but he is young and I would expect him to.
  • So has he played for birmingham this year or Cheltenham? must be the only player to play in league 2 to get the call up, whats wrong with ben foster or robinson?
  • Ben Foster has retired - not sure about Robinson, he may have, but his day has come and gone.
  • both "retired" from international football. pretty shameful imo
  • Jack Butland is okay but very raw and inexperienced. Saw him play at Southend when Cheltenham lost 4.0 - he was very poor and 3 of the goals were poor errors by him. Sure he will improve, but he really should not be going to the Euros yet as a squad member at 19. David Stockdale or a host of others are better options - even Kelvin Davis from Saints.
  • Sponsored links:

• Butland is supposed to be the dogs danglies. Joe Hart is quoted as saying he's the best keeper he's ever seen.
  • what about joe lewis?
  • Not too bothered who 3rd choice keeper is. Not going to get on the pitch (barring a catastrophe) so it might as well be a young up & coming keeper to soak up the experience of a big tournie rather than an old boy (Robinson etc) who will just add an air of negativity to the squad......................................
  • the only long sighted move for the euro's by hodgson this keeper is gonna rival joe hart in a few years. he's probably been taken because it's clear and he might as well get taken for the experience. that's probably why he's picked over more experienced keepers.
  • Not too bothered who 3rd choice keeper is. Not going to get on the pitch (barring a catastrophe) so it might as well be a young up & coming keeper to soak up the experience of a big tournie rather than an old boy (Robinson etc) who will just add an air of negativity to the squad......................................
    This^^^^^^^
  • what about joe lewis?
    He's shit..we put 5 past him remember ;-)
  • I've always felt Matt Gilkes at blackpool looked a tidy keeper and as someone else has said Kelvin Davies has been very solid over the years for saints (both are probably better than green tbh). No doubt Butland has a bright future and in reality there's very little chance he'll be called upon, but just imagine he does end up coming on for an injured green in the quarter finals or something, that's a hell of a lot of pressure to put on a young lad and a bad debut could ruin his whole career. Don't know why Woy it's taking the risk tbh - could be another Walcott moment.
  • Yes, Kelvin Davies is decent.
  • I've always felt Matt Gilkes at blackpool looked a tidy keeper and as someone else has said Kelvin Davies has been very solid over the years for saints (both are probably better than green tbh). No doubt Butland has a bright future and in reality there's very little chance he'll be called upon, but just imagine he does end up coming on for an injured green in the quarter finals or something, that's a hell of a lot of pressure to put on a young lad and a bad debut could ruin his whole career. Don't know why Woy it's taking the risk tbh - could be another Walcott moment.
    Matt Gilks is a very good goal keeper who i rate but he's Scottish.
  • I suppose the only thing that has stopped Davies from getting picked is probably down to not being in the premier league. One of those solid goal keepers you hate to see on the team sheet.
  • Sponsored links:

• Caller to Talksport " I'd like to see that goalkeeper Antii Niemi play for Scotland"
    Presenter " He's Finnish"
    Caller " He cannae be finished - he's only 34........." twat!
  • I would've taken Stockdale instead of him, he was brilliant V us in the cup. (I must admit I know nothing about Butland though)
  • All I know is that Butland is 'one for the future' and a possible number 2 or 3 at the World Cup. So maybe the experience will be good for him and players such as The Ox.
  • It's nice to 'bring someone along for the experience', but if one of the other 2 keepers is i jured or sent off, I'm not sure I would want a 19 year old rookie, who's only league experience is in football's basement, on the bench.
  • The issue for me is why was Butland not taken in the first place. I think it's pretty clear he's not Englands number 4, he has been taken for the experience as a future prospect, I understand that. But, why was he not taken ahead of Ruddy in the first place. Ruddy had a decent season but I never want to see him in an England shirt, so why wasn't Butland taken for experience initially. Barring a crazy situation, Butland is going to only be facing Rooney and Gerrard in training so I don't think people should panic too much. If it comes to it, I hear Rooney is a very good keeper anyway
  • Ruddy has had more than a decent season. Only 25 years old and looks a beast in goal.

Before he played for Norwich in their promotion season he also played, more or less' a whole season for Motherwell.

So why on Earth should Butland be ahead of Ruddy?! Because Butland 'might be a good keeper' in the future isn't a very good reason.
  • It's more to do with the fact that we don't have enough keepers at the top level coming through due to most of the Premier League Clubs opting for the foreign finished article.

As far as I can see only Hart, Foster, Robinson and Ruddy were first choice keepers playing in the top flight. Bit different from 35 years ago when we had 20 plus first team regulars with the likes of Shilton, Clemence, Parkes, Corrigan and Rimmer all better than the current crop bar Hart.

• Ruddy has had more than a decent season. Only 25 years old and looks a beast in goal.

Before he played for Norwich in their promotion season he also played, more or less' a whole season for Motherwell.

So why on Earth should Butland be ahead of Ruddy?! Because Butland 'might be a good keeper' in the future isn't a very good reason.
    not sure if you were referring to my post, but I didn't say that Butland should necessarily be ahead of Ruddy. I meant that Butland was chosen as 3rd choice after Ruddy's injury to gain experience over at leasr 5/6 better candidates, notably Carson or Stockdale. I just think if Hodgson wanted Butland to gain experience, why not choose him initially.

• It's more to do with the fact that we don't have enough keepers at the top level coming through due to most of the Premier League Clubs opting for the foreign finished article.

As far as I can see only Hart, Foster, Robinson and Ruddy were first choice keepers playing in the top flight. Bit different from 35 years ago when we had 20 plus first team regulars with the likes of Shilton, Clemence, Parkes, Corrigan and Rimmer all better than the current crop bar Hart.

Completely agree, but Carson is a pretty decent keeper. With Robinson and Foster retired, our options are limited. That said, we have one of the best in the world so fingers crossed we don't need anyone else.

Butland wasn't before Ruddy. Ruddy got injured.