Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Would people be happy with this?

edited August 2012 in General Charlton
Sorry for creating a new thread but the rumours section is going mental at the moment. Now firstly, if a lot of activity takes place in the next few days then worryingly, our squad could be unsettled. But, would people be happy if by next week this had happended:
gk - Hamer, Button in, Sullivan out on loan
rb - Solly to WHU for £3 million, Young in on a season long loan
lb - Wiggins, Evina
cb - same as it is now
cm - Pritchard, Hollands, Reo-Coker, Kerkar plus Jackson. Stephens to Villa for £1 million.
rm - Hammill in, Green. Wagstaff to Forest for 300k
lm - Quinn in, plus Jackson, Cook
str - Haynes, BWP, Kermy, Fuller plus Cook

Hughes and Clarke let go on frees
Sullivan out on loan
Wagstaff, Stephens and Solly sold for £4.3 million
the wages would no doubt go up, but Button, Hammill and Quinn would cost no more than £2 million.

Would people feel that squad is even better than now on paper?

Comments

• Jenson Button already plays for Maclaren!!
  • MCS said:

Jenson Button already plays for Maclaren!!

he "drives" for McLaren
  • Plays, i said plays.
  • I'd take that all day long
  • Pointless thread
  • I want £5 million for Solly upfront.
  • I don't think he plays, I think he drives.
  • Reo Coker activated a relegation clause in his Bolton contract so would be a surprise if he elected to join us- albeit a welcome one.
  • I don't think it is entirely realistic, just posing a question whether people would be happy with that as an example come next week. I very much doubt Reo-Coker would join, although I think the rest are fairly possible.
  • Ross said:

Pointless thread

I don't think it is pointless. Just posing a question on people's opinions plus with the rumours going about some of the above is certainly possible. If you still disagree you could always leave
  • Sponsored links:

• Sounds like we are going to get top price for all our players, move on players like Clarke who we haven't been able to shift all summer and sign all our targets on the cheap.

Let's wait and see what actually happens before we decide if we've done good business or not.
  • We'll end up with Daryl Russell and DnG
  • Please forget about Reo-Coker absolutely no chance are we getting him.
  • Sounds like we are going to get top price for all our players, move on players like Clarke who we haven't been able to shift all summer and sign all our targets on the cheap.

Let's wait and see what actually happens before we decide if we've done good business or not.

yer I agree that we will only be able to tell whether it was good business when we reflect after the window shuts. Just asking for people's opinions on whether they thought assembling this squad would be good business.
  • Yep - we would be a lot stronger - and I would argue playoff standard. However, when you look at it this way, completely ridiculous. I mean, our starting line up could be:

Hamer

Young
    Morrison
    Cort
    Wiggins

Hammil
    Hollands
    Reo Coker
    Quinn

BWP
    Kermorgant

Subs: Button, Wilson, Dervite, Jacko, Haynes, Fuller, Pritch.

That would tear up this league (ok maybe not tear up, but be very good).

Funny thing is, if you took £4m quid, you could finance that line up, plus pay off some debts as well).
  • We'll end up with Daryl Russell and DnG

I don't think Russell is coming back at all. DNG is still a good chance I would think.
  • Ross said:

Pointless thread

I don't think it is pointless. Just posing a question on people's opinions plus with the rumours going about some of the above is certainly possible. If you still disagree you could always leave
    I think it's pointless because it's going to have the same discussion in it that's in the rumours thread and the Dale thread.
  • Ross said:

Ross said:

Pointless thread

I think it's pointless because it's going to have the same discussion in it that's in the rumours thread and the Dale thread.
    That discussion is getting overrun with questions like would you let him go, etc. This was more asking whether we would have done good business IF this was our squad next week. I agree NRC is very much doubtful so it wasn't meant to be taken 100% seriously. I don't have a source that is telling me this is going to be the squad. You didn't have to comment.
  • But you're asking if we'd be happy with something that isn't going to happen. You might as well take Stephens out, put Xavi in and start a thread asking "whos happy with this?".
  • Really good but can't see us getting Hammil, Quinn and Reo-Coker!
  • Sponsored links:

• se9addick said:

But you're asking if we'd be happy with something that isn't going to happen. You might as well take Stephens out, put Xavi in and start a thread asking "whos happy with this?".

its slightly different. IMO - and it is only my opinion - we have more chance of signing a free agent than one of the best CM's in the world. Maybe apart from Reo-Coker, the rest of the signings are reasonable. And I wouldn't completely rule him out either if we got money and could offer him a good contract. Apart from Fulham I haven't seen him linked with many teams and a champ London club is better than no club at all for him.
  • I think some are being a bit harsh - the thread is meant to illustrate a scenario where we sell Solly and Stephen's but possibly strengthen the squad. We may think the Reo-Coker aspect is unlikely but it is just as reasonable for this post as many others.
  • Really good but can't see us getting Hammil, Quinn and Reo-Coker!

Could certainly see Hammill and Quinn if Stephens and Waggy are sold. Replace Reo-Coker with Lansbury on loan for the season then.
  • I think some are being a bit harsh - the thread is meant to illustrate a scenario where we sell Solly and Stephen's but possibly strengthen the squad. We may think the Reo-Coker aspect is unlikely but it is just as reasonable for this post as many others.

thanks very much Muttley. People do get a bit worked up at times over pretty much nothing.
  • se9addick said:

But you're asking if we'd be happy with something that isn't going to happen. You might as well take Stephens out, put Xavi in and start a thread asking "whos happy with this?".

its slightly different. IMO - and it is only my opinion - we have more chance of signing a free agent than one of the best CM's in the world. Maybe apart from Reo-Coker, the rest of the signings are reasonable. And I wouldn't completely rule him out either if we got money and could offer him a good contract. Apart from Fulham I haven't seen him linked with many teams and a champ London club is better than no club at all for him.
    Not sure about that mate, I thought he'd been quite heavily linked with Italian club(s).

We've probably got more chance of Xavi !!
  • Plays for Maclaren.
  • Ah yer actually Fiorentina I saw as well - big team obviously. But if he comes home to London he could be in prem in two years time. Or go to Italy and be banned for match fixing in 2 years time!
  • Plays.
  • MCS said:

Plays for Maclaren.

I will accept he "plays" and you accept you spelt McLaren wrong? ;)
  • Maclaren.