Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Winter Wonderland, Hyde Park

Comments

• Yes if you have kids. Maybe depending on what floats your boat. Jst a big fun fair/german Market, with an ice rink thrown in. You have to buy £1 tokens and the rides cost £2 / £4 / £6 / £8.
    This is based on last year and £100 didn't last very long. Good atmosphere though!
  • My mrs and her business partner were the lead scenic and mural artists this year so yeah... I'll be visiting!
  • Went a few years ago. Midweek.Not overly busy. Thought it was good and my boy enjoyed it.
    Be warned though. Some friends went on a weekend and said it was absolute pandemonium.
  • Going next Sunday, forgot to book Ice Kingdom and the Circus until yesterday and so have them both really late.

So got too much time there now probably - anyone know if the tree is up in Trafalgar Square yet?
  • Great place to visit, the pubs are expensive but it's just like stepping into Cologne or somewhere. Lots of quirky stalls to get christmas stuff too
  • Great place but a total rip off

In hard times will give it a miss
  • The carousel bar is a must.

Was there last year and its just basically an old carousel, with a bar in the middle, all the horses have been taken off but replaced with tables. Still turns really slowly but plays old school garage at top volume. Loads of people dancing. One of the most unexpected things to be there really, as most of the other stuff is like bein in a German forest.
  • Going next Sunday, forgot to book Ice Kingdom and the Circus until yesterday and so have them both really late.

So got too much time there now probably - anyone know if the tree is up in Trafalgar Square yet?

What's the "ice kingdom"?
  • Ice sculptures and stuff.
  • Went last December. Rides are far too expensive but I have to say some of them are very impressive and not the usual fair ground dross. I think many of the rides had come from Germany. Lots of food outlets selling Christmas fayre mostly from Germany and Europe in general. Plenty of craft stalls to buy bit and pieces. Thought the atmos was very good and I will probably go again this year.
  • Sponsored links:

• Went last year, spent loads but the kids loved it

Nice bit if lunch in the serpentine restaurant as well
  • It certainly ain't cheap but if your kids are young enough and you have a bit of cash to spend well worth it

If you are on a budget and things are tough avoid
  • Went last night. Pretty much as above, pints are £4-5 which isn't too bad but £6 if you want to go the dodgems is.

Not too busy (perhaps 'cos of the weather) and a good range of food on offer, now feeling pretty guilty for having a zebra burger. Overall it is worth a go and worth spending a bit on if it's a one off for you.
  • Going to be running past it every day in Hyde Park. Went past the first time on Thursday whilst they were putting it all up. Wish it made me feel more 'Christmassy' - but all it does is make me feel sorry for the poor sods going in and dropping about a hundred quid for a family of four, with everything completely forgotten the next day.
  • Going to be running past it every day in Hyde Park. Went past the first time on Thursday whilst they were putting it all up. Wish it made me feel more 'Christmassy' - but all it does is make me feel sorry for the poor sods going in and dropping about a hundred quid for a family of four, with everything completely forgotten the next day.

Bah, Humbug! Welcome to Christmas Mr Scrooge!
    ;o)
  • Went on a Saturday about four o'clock last year and I've honestly never seen somewhere so packed/busy. It was certainly no place for children and there was a fair amount of pushing/jostling to get past people at the entrance. Definitely somewhere you need to pick your timing I think, midweek would hopefully be much better.
  • Just for you Leroy
  • Ha. Christmas, I shit it.
  • edited November 2012
    Now that's a trick Leroy!
    ;o)

Not sure it would be worth more than a trip on the dodgems though!
  • People would pay more to see it.
  • Sponsored links:

• I guess it would be pony in the rain?
  • Most definitely. Nowhere to really get out of the cold either.
  • Been the last couple of years, I enjoy it.
  • Ha. Christmas, I shit it.

Yule log

• Just got back, took the grandchildren. Different quality to Blackheath fair not a pikey in sight. 8 quid for the main attraction rides but kiddy rides OK at 2 quid. Varied range of fast food, not just hot dogs and hamburgers. Heaving with people and not a lot of space on walkways, accidently clipped the heels of a young buck with the pushchair and nearly got into a fight. Festive atmosphere though, even fake snow in the air. Free entry so you can choose how much you burn on the rides.
  • DH how long did you spend there?
  • Two hours went by very quick by which time the kids were whacked.
  • Haha cheers , interested to know how long people were spending at this place.
  • I left it too late and have 7 odd hours up there! Think we'll have to find something else to do up there as well next weekend!
  • Planning to go there on the 16th. Peppa Pig show at the Criterion at 12:00 then onto Hyde Park in the afternoon. Will have one tired 3 year old!