Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Internet/Forum Jargon Thread

For those, like me, who ain't got a Scooby Doo what some of it means.

Sic?
Wum?
Troll? (I thought this was a made up account, but a regular poster was called a Troll on here the other day)

There's more, but I can't think of em at the moment.

Comments

• WUM = Wind Up Merchant
  • and what are the symbols for `i'm joking' etc?
  • Troll is someone that goes on a website just to cause unrest.

Sic is something to do with spelling i think
  • BIG_ROB said:

For those, like me, who ain't got a Scooby Doo what some of it means.

Troll? (I thought this was a made up account, but a regular poster was called a Troll on here the other day)

When I first came on here I thought that "General Charlton" was just an extremely prolific poster rather than a thread category.
  • Troll = someone that adds posts just to get a reaction, or takes up a contrary position on purpose.

Sic = is a Latin phrase in common use for many years. It means "I am reproducing this text with the errors that it originally contained, so don't think I have made an error myself"
  • Troll & WUM are the same thing in my view, someone who is just looking for a reaction to there comments, rather then a real debate or conversation.
  • Troll = someone that adds posts just to get a reaction, or takes up a contrary position on purpose.

Sic = is a Latin phrase in common use for many years. It means "I am reproducing this text with the errors that it originally contained, so don't think I have made an error myself"

Nice one VP, I always wondered what Sic meant. I could have just Googled it I suppose but I'm lazy like that :)
  • Troll & WUM are the same thing in my view, someone who is just looking for a reaction to there comments, rather then a real debate or conversation.

disagree

• sic erat scriptum

• Macronate said:

Troll & WUM are the same thing in my view, someone who is just looking for a reaction to there comments, rather then a real debate or conversation.

disagree

Ok never claimed to be an internet expert, i already waste enough time, enlighten me?
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 2013
    I stand corrected, said the man in the orthopaedic shoes

BBC News
  • I stand corrected, said the man in the orthopaedic shoes

BBC News

Wrong thread mate!
  • edited January 2013
    bugger, always looked at people who do that as being a bit dim. How on earth can you post on the wrong thread hhhmmmm
  • bugger, always looked at people who do that as being a bit dim. How on earth can you post on the wrong thread hhhmmmm

Thanks for calling me dim
  • Macronate said:

Troll & WUM are the same thing in my view, someone who is just looking for a reaction to there comments, rather then a real debate or conversation.

disagree

Ok never claimed to be an internet expert, i already waste enough time, enlighten me?
    I think that, in internet jargon terms, classifies as a

WHOOOOSH

:-)

• Macronate said:

disagree

WHOOOOSH

haha, it went whoooshing right over my head too!
  • Macronate said:

disagree

WHOOOOSH

Damn, im not doing very well today, people need to start all doing that smiley thing, i recently started using it, as im not a fan of them including LOL but sometimes the only way for us all to stop having so many arguments.

Ok im gonna go sit in the corner embarressed for now.

• Macronate said:

disagree

WHOOOOSH

Damn, im not doing very well today, people need to start all doing that smiley thing, i recently started using it, as im not a fan of them including LOL but sometimes the only way for us all to stop having so many arguments.

Ok im gonna go sit in the corner embarressed for now.

LHG
  • jwfstfitt = Just waiting for someone to fall into the trap.

Apparently.... ;)
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 2013
    Koc means utter bullshit and seems to be used by a lot of people (on here)

Just like to add that I believe the reason we see (sic) a lot nowadays is because many quotes are taken directly from Twitter. And most footballers on Twitter cannot spell.
  • Not sure what 'norven monkee' means?!?

Just like to add that I believe the reason we see (sic) a lot nowadays is because many quotes are taken directly from Twitter. And most footballers on Twitter cannot spell.
    I thought it was a new slang word e.g. Look at what I've wrote, it's sic man, wicked
  • Not sure what 'norven monkee' means?!?

It means Addick Up North.

;o)

• @gretnagreen You are not alone ;-)
  • Oggy Red said:

Not sure what 'norven monkee' means?!?

It means Addick Up North.

;o)

Oi Oggy, I don't have a wooden heart y'know ;o)
  • I'm sorry mate, I just couldn't resist!
  • I would like to introduce TMOG ( Two minutes on Google ) for people who put links and pictures up on Facebook which take about that long to disprove if you bother to check them out.
  • DA9DA9
    edited January 2013
    SIC is spelling or grammar based i.e., you type something knowing that you may have spelt it wrong, or made a grammatical error, so you add (sic) It means you are aware it maybe spelt wrong or you get my meaning etc, not an Internet thing though, been around for years.