Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rickie Lambert

He got his 100th goal for Southampton yesterday, well worth the £1m Pardew spent on him.

Unlike
Varney 2.5m
McLeod 1.1m
Gray 1.5m

If only, if only...

Comments

• He got his 100th goal for Southampton yesterday, well worth the £1m Pardew spent on him.

Unlike
    Varney 2.5m
    McLeod 1.1m
    Gray 1.5m

If only, if only...

Lambert has done excellently but I do wonder how he would have done with a legs gone Matt Holland and Racon supplying his service which is what the other three had most of the time.

That said Pardew brought Racon in so down to him.
  • I suggested to Peter Varney, that we should sign Lambert when he was still at Bristol R.
    He disagreed, saying that he was just a big lump :-(
  • I said we should have signed him and Danny Graham when they were playing in League 1 or 2 or whatever it was. Then a little while later I was sure we should have signed Bolasie from Plymouth...

SCP should sign me up as a scout. We'd be prem by now.
  • It's not just the goals. Holds it up well and can pick a pass. Reasonable change of pace too. You have to wonder how he's managed to languish at such a low level with that amount of ability.
  • edited February 2013
    Let's be fair, its not just us who slipped up in missing these players but about 40 odd other clubs too...
  • Let's be fair and say that for a few years the club bought a whole load of players who didn't perform ... they were all sold on and and some performed elsewhere... and now we seem to be in a place where we have a decent mix of academy and signed players who haven't performed elsewhere
  • cafctom said:

Let's be fair, its not just us who slipped up in missing these players but about 40 odd other clubs too...

The issue is more the expensive flops we bought instead, if we had just stuck to cheap signings and freebies (like Iwelemu) our finances would be in a much healthier state...
  • Very rarely do you get out of the Championship with cheap signings. It happens but not a lot.

Yes, those players flopped but with the aim to return to the Premiership at the time, we needed to spend to try and achieve it. The problem wasn't the money spent, but more what it was spent on.
  • Well I said we should sign Freddie Eastwood. And I was wrong.
  • Varney, Iwelumo, McLeod, Gray.....it all seems like a bad dream now doesn't it?
  • Sponsored links:

• Well I said we should sign Freddie Eastwood. And I was wrong.

And there's the rub. For every one you
    get right, there's four you got wrong.
  • Varney, Iwelumo, McLeod, Gray.....it all seems like a bad dream now doesn't it?

Nope ...... a frigging nightmare

• cafctom said:

Very rarely do you get out of the Championship with cheap signings. It happens but not a lot.

Yes, those players flopped but with the aim to return to the Premiership at the time, we needed to spend to try and achieve it. The problem wasn't the money spent, but more what it was spent on.

Thanks to Pardew's transfers we did get out of the Championship...

• Often there is a talented player who doesn't apply himself then wakes up or gets lucky.
  • I personally think that with the right manager (eg - not one who tries to sap every bit of confidence from you (Mr Pardew)), Luke Varney is a very good Championship player.
  • And Iwelumo was a great target man back then too, had tonnes of goals in him.
  • Kap10 said:

Varney, Iwelumo, McLeod, Gray.....it all seems like a bad dream now doesn't it?

....and for about 4 million less in transfer fees SCP has brought us Kermo, Fuller, Haynes and BWP - and probably much lower wages too.
  • cafctom said:

I personally think that with the right manager (eg - not one who tries to sap every bit of confidence from you (Mr Pardew)), Luke Varney is a very good Championship player.

Good 'worker' but not a natural goal scorer, a Garry Nelson type of player.
  • And Iwelumo was a great target man back then too, had tonnes of goals in him.

....if properly served, yes, Reid supplied class from one flank but he got little from the other flank!
  • Varney is Championship quality, but nothing he's done since he left us suggests there was a great deal more to be had from him than we got - he's hardly been prolific.

Just my opinion, but not many of the team Pardew had in the first Championship season would get into the current team.

Reidy? Obviously.
    Bougherra? Maybe but he was all posh frock and no knickers. Cort's no nonsense aproach probably serves us better.
    Iwelumo? No better than Yann.
    ZZ? Maybe, would probably be a decent member of this squad but not a nailed on starter. Generally flattered to deceive much like Stephens can.
    Thomas? We could do with a tricky winger and he'd give us an option we don't have.
    Gray? No better than Yann.
    Varney? Better than Wagstaff, but maybe not Haynes - although less injury prone.
    McCarthy? No better than Morro or Cort.
    Weaver? Always thought he was toilet so no.
    Moo2? Do me a favour.
    Thatcher, Youga? No chance.
    Holland? Maybe on experience but his legs were going. Was at a similar level by then to what Jacko is now imho.
    Marcus Bent? Slightly different player but comparable ability to Fuller (for the ten minutes a season he could be bothered to apply it) so another pass.

But for all it's faults and weaknesses (not least having Pardew in charge of it) that side probably would have made the play-offs if we hadn't sold Reid (and he'd stayed fit). I think that goes to show we're only a couple of good signings away from being a very decent Championship side, much like we were in 96/97 (as has been said before). Whether we can expect the same kind of (relatively) modest but well targetted investment this summer as we saw in summer '97, who knows.

• Sponsored links:

• Kap10 said:

Varney, Iwelumo, McLeod, Gray.....it all seems like a bad dream now doesn't it?

Not sure of fullers wage tbf
    ....and for about 4 million less in transfer fees SCP has brought us Kermo, Fuller, Haynes and BWP - and probably much lower wages too.
  • The reason Varney went was to pay for Pardew leaving.
  • The reason Varney went was to pay for Pardew leaving.

This, should have just let Pardew stay. Wouldn't have been relegated IMO.