Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Solly - is he really a right back?

I think we're all agreed this man's our best player, by FAR. Every week he seems to have built his game up little by little. At the moment though I think it's almost to the point where he's wasted at right-back. Though RB has probably been his position all his life, I wonder what would happen if we played him as a central midfielder. Granted, he's small, but he's got a fair turn of pace and the way he challenges for the ball doesn't seem to warrant a need for the robustness of many a defensively-minded central midfielder in the present day. He can pass well, tackle, and has a fantastic footballing brain with which he could potentially run a game from the middle of the park. Thoughts?

Comments

• Well he's that good on the ball that he could probably play in midfield, he's so assured.

He is a right back though as I can't ever see him being too much of a goal threat.

Incredible player, the most consistent we've had in years.
  • I think he played a little in midfield when he was in the u18s. It seems really easy to convert him to a central midfielder on Football manager anyway. So Scoham might know more about it than me.
  • I'd have him anywhere in the team except cb and goalkeeper
  • Has played in midfield for the U18s
  • I would definately keep him at right back.
  • Could play in midfield certainly but RB by practice and habit, leave him there for now. Maybe in his older age he will convert like Andy Hughes seems to have done.
  • Didn't he score his first goal for the club after coming on as sub in a midfield position?
  • Good op. Certainly could do a job.
  • Didn't he score his first goal for the club after coming on as sub in a midfield position?

Think he was, strangely enough, playing left mid against orient.
  • Right Midfield with Wilson at RB could be decent. They pair up well, we just might've got it the wrong way round.
  • Sponsored links:

• Solly is god.... stick him in goal and he'll keep a clean sheet
  • Clone him
  • My life. He's probably our best player in his position and people are suggesting playing him out of position?

Imagine the stick Powell would get if he moved him into midfield.
  • edited March 2013
    I think we should try him up front next match & if that doesn't work out put him in goal.
    Wiggins played well, so why not try Solly & Wiggins up front, with Fuller & Kermy playing as the right & left backs ?

Wibble, wibble, wibble.
  • I think we should try him up front next match & if that doesn't work out put him in goal.
    Wiggins played well, so why not try Solly & Wiggins up front, with Fuller & Kermy playing as the right & left backs ?

Wibble, wibble, wibble.

Hamer as the defensive midfield rock, Cort as a tricksy winger, I think you could be onto something here...
  • Right Midfield with Wilson at RB could be decent. They pair up well, we just might've got it the wrong way round.

Wilson was dreck at RB. Solly may well be able to play right mid, Wilson certainly isn't a full back. Leave him be - just because he's Godlike where he is, doesn't mean he can jump into centre mid and be just as good. For my money he'd get lost there - he's too slight for it.
  • Solly for England!
  • In the modern game a full back is more than a defender - Solly has always been a great defender but he is also great attacking wise too. Keeping him for next season will be a massive sign of intent.
  • he is an excellent r/back and that's where he should stay.
  • He is a RB. He is bloody awesome. Why would you want to mess with that?
  • Sponsored links:

• Would be incredibly foolish to play the best right back in the league in any other position!
  • he's doing perfectly/brilliantly well at full back
    both full backs need to be on their toes to cover for the QE2'S in the centre of the defence
  • Put him at left back .. oh we've already done that , nah leave him at right back , he's doing just fine.
  • Put him as manage
  • Best right back i have seen play for us imo

John Humphrey was better.
  • edited March 2013
    Loved johnny H but think solly is better

Dont get me wrong chris solly is probably one of the best right backs in the league but IMO not in johnny H's league (at the moment).
  • I just think solly has been the most consistant and best product of our youth team and also the best right back i have seen

I may be wrong but since watching him in the youth team all the way to now i think he is a better defender than johnny h he doesnt bomb down the wing with the style and grace of johnny h but the way he does do it is effective and his delivery is superb

• I love Solly but he has to do it for at least 3 seasons in the top flight before he is better than Johnny H.

Got Player of the year all wrapped up for another year.