Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Holiday Tips

I am looking at going away a bit further afield in August and wouldn't mind some first hand tips/advice please folks!

The misses wants a relaxing, all inclusive, beach holiday and as long as there are some activities/watersports for me and my boy I will be happy.

I am currently considering Caribbean, Bahamas, Maldives, Mauritius or Thailand (Koh Samui/Phuket etc) but my main concern is the weather/rain. I have had a look at various websites and I know it can be hit and miss but if anyone has any first hand experience of these areas in August I would love to hear your views.

Have done Florida in the past in August and have had the odd soaking there to be fair!

Thanks guys

Comments

• Scarborough or Portobello
  • Dymchurch or Leysdown.
  • Dungeness surely?

Some great architecture around there as well, bracing walks on the beach, the sun coming up over the nuclear power station...what's not to like?
  • Oh, I quite agree. But if you get bogged down in all the shingle at Dungeness, there's some lovely smooth sand at Dymchurch....
  • Brilliant!!! Alas, all places that I have been to before and as I am about to leave the RAF after 28 years service I thought that I would treat myself with my hard earned gratuity. But thanks for the advice anyway, much appreciated. ;-)
  • If you want to visit any if those places you mentioned during August time you are better going around November-March if your concerned about the weather. It's normally a rainy season during our summer for these places and you would take a massive risk in the Caribbean because of the hurricane season.

I went to Mauritius not so long ago in a hotel called Melville Beach Resort that is all inclusive and you get to do free water activities but I would not recommend it to be honest as we had so many complaints about the staff and food.

Try and good an Iberostar or RIU hotel, they are full of activities and most are normally based right next to a beach. Strongly advice you do Dominican Republic, the staff are very friendly and they love doing a range of activities.
  • Ive no idea on exotic places in August. But congrats on completing 28 years of service.
  • I am looking at going away a bit further afield in August and wouldn't mind some first hand tips/advice please folks!

The misses wants a relaxing, all inclusive, beach holiday and as long as there are some activities/watersports for me and my boy I will be happy.

I am currently considering Caribbean, Bahamas, Maldives, Mauritius or Thailand (Koh Samui/Phuket etc) but my main concern is the weather/rain. I have had a look at various websites and I know it can be hit and miss but if anyone has any first hand experience of these areas in August I would love to hear your views.

Have done Florida in the past in August and have had the odd soaking there to be fair!

Thanks guys

Sharm El Sheikh
  • I would take a look at Costa Rica in August.
  • Playa Del Carmen Mexico. Went there for honeymoon last year and although it was Hurricane season we had rain on one day

Really good value compared with Maldives
  • Sponsored links:

• El Gouna, Egypt. Great water sports and kite surfing
  • Herne Bay. My holiday tip is not go there.
  • Greatstone is this year's must visit
  • I've been to Thailand in both the rainy and non-rainy seasons.

It rained more in the non-rainy season than the rainy season.

Not that it was that much, and all evidence disappeared in minutes.
  • I can certainly recommend the Cornelia De Luxe Resort in the Belek region of Turkey.

Brilliant hotel with impeccable service, endless activities and the many number of restaurants they have there are truly superb.

They have a huge pool area with water slides and the like where they play water volleyball and such, fitting your activity criteria and this area i about a 5 second walk to the beach which has a lovely pier they have jet skis and banana boats and the like.

It's well worth a look.

Nightlife is lively aswell.

• Brilliant!!! Alas, all places that I have been to before and as I am about to leave the RAF after 28 years service I thought that I would treat myself with my hard earned gratuity. But thanks for the advice anyway, much appreciated. ;-)

• Andy Hunts gaff thats the place to go
  • cs1986 said:

El Gouna, Egypt. Great water sports and kite surfing

We went to el gouna hated it, purpose built nothing resort
  • Goa was great
  • on a serious note, Eilat in Israel is guaranteed sun that time of year and fits everything in your original post, blinding beaches, coral reef, watersports ect ect... i would recommend it, bit off beat as far as destinations go but as mentioned has everthing that you are seeking mate!

i lived out in Israel and that was the place to go to unwind, one to think about for ya anyway.
  • Sponsored links:

• Playa Del Carmen Mexico. Went there for honeymoon last year and although it was Hurricane season we had rain on one day

Really good value compared with Maldives

This. Mexico is the doggies boobies
  • edited June 2013
    El Dorado Hotel, Mexican caribbean coast. Beautiful and all inclusive 5* gourmet three times a day with 7 different restaurants to choose from. Oh and the barman gives you a full Jack Daniels in a tumbler (I kid you not!)
  • Meedhapparu in the Maldives we have been there the past two years. A fantastic place if you want to do nothing but relax. Ask for a Beach Villa on the North side of the island for around 4k or a Water Villa if you can spare 5k for 10 days all inclusive and including Seaplane transfers from Male, one bit of advice dont fly Sri Lanka until they upgrade their planes. It will be cheaper, but your'll suffer. ;)
  • Moon Palace in cancun is great. It's hotter than Satan's bollocks and proper all inclusive. Double jacuzzi in your room. Great service too

Been to Maldives in August and it was beautiful but I started to get bored towards the end (Though I had been to Australia for a fortnight on business beforehand so may have also been homesick). Had a monsoon on the final day but aside from that barely saw a cloud
  • Swisdom said:

Moon Palace in cancun is great. It's hotter than Satan's bollocks and proper all inclusive. Double jacuzzi in your room. Great service too

Been to Maldives in August and it was beautiful but I started to get bored towards the end (Though I had been to Australia for a fortnight on business beforehand so may have also been homesick). Had a monsoon on the final day but aside from that barely saw a cloud

Daughter went to Moon Palace, Cancun for her honeymoon & would recommend it.
  • Another thumbs up for the moon palace - recommend it. Loads of restaurants with proper good food. Staff are almost too attentive. Only downside is the amount of gobby yanks, but there are two sites and one is mainly for the yanks and the other for everyone else.
  • Go to Mexico, Cancun or Riveira Maya they are both amazing

• The last few years I have been to different AI 5* hotels in Lara Beach Resort in Antalya Turkey and couldn't fault any of them. In May I went to Boa Vista in the Cape Verde Islands and if you want sun and relaxation this place is good.
  • Don't forget your passport, ;-)