Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Advert of the Year 2013

edited June 2014 in Not Sports Related

Comments

• A bloke at work is a dead ringer for him, even the walk. He hates it.
  • Love this advert. Don't know why but this is how I picture Dave Mehmet.
  • I just think the Odetta track fit's it perfectly.

Time for us out of shape oldies to stand loud and proud.
  • Tottally agree. Its the best advert in years. Simple but pure magic.
  • Great advert, along with the Bet Victor "wag"
  • Dancing Pony beats it hands down
  • Gonna go for "Bisto Midweek meals" as my son George is the baby in it.
  • I can't see the advert but I'm guessing this is the fat bloke in the budgie smugglers? Top ad. sais the same to my wife the other day but she just didn't get it.
  • You have to say fair play to the bods at Southern Comfort for commissioning it. I mean can you imagine the ad agency pitching it to them... "A fat hairy bloke in budgie smugglers walks down a beach and drinks a glass of Southern Comfort...err.. that's it...".
  • The o2 advert with the cat and be more dog, I crack up everytime I see it
  • Sponsored links:

• Im with you Red SE8
  • totally agree with the OP this advert is the best by miles
  • Love this advert. Don't know why but this is how I picture Dave Mehmet.

Lol. About the only similar thing about us is his derby! He's got more hair on his tache than I've got on my head.
  • Look out for the new Confused.com advert featuring a couple sitting in a car.

Think it might a post-watershed part of their advertising campaign, as it is certainly open to interpretation...
  • Just seen the old school fruit pastels advert with the northern kid and the basketball player. Quality.
  • Being a director of an advertising agency, I find this fascinating reading. Loads of my clients want to go retro and reuse old adverts. Primarily to save themselves money! I would be interested to hear if anyone has picked up on any product placement in any uk tv shows since the rules were relaxed by OFCOM. And if there is any resentment towards it being used?
  • 'Nationwide' in the backgrond all the time in Corrie.
  • Being a director of an advertising agency, I find this fascinating reading. Loads of my clients want to go retro and reuse old adverts. Primarily to save themselves money! I would be interested to hear if anyone has picked up on any product placement in any uk tv shows since the rules were relaxed by OFCOM. And if there is any resentment towards it being used?

At the end of a day's play in Test matches Mark Nicholas always interviews players with the same advertising board in the background. Different grounds...same advertising hoarding.

I know they put up the P symbol at start of the programme but really notice it Coronation Street - usually goods in Devs shop or breakfast goods such as cereal or packets of tea on someones kitchen table.

In Big Brother they dont even try to do it subtley they just break to a 2 second shot of cleaning goods in a basket as a segue between two conversations.

Doesnt bother me as much as the 'funny' sponsors links before and after each part of a programmes though.
  • Sponsored links:

• Cider, southern comfort, carlsberg

Yuk, all shit things but good adverts. The best advert was the carling black label (shit) where the bloke threw his towel and skimmed it across the pool. Circa 1990
  • howdare you say Gypo juice is yuk
  • Carter said:

The best advert was the carling black label (shit) where the bloke threw his towel and skimmed it across the pool. Circa 1990

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuIJqF8av6I

I quite enjoy the old adverts that get reused, as long as they were good the first time then why not? I suppose it also taps into our love of nostalgia as much as anything. Currently showing the Kit-Kat one in the panda enclosure aren't they.

That said I do love the Southern Comfort man and model my regular beach front promenades on him...

Is it anything like mad men?

The creativity in adverts is astonishing.

Yet also quite evil as adverts are essentially a form of brainwashing, the sole aim is to get your money for a particular thing. Advertising is not informative. despite however many people in white coats schlepp around in toothpaste or hair product advertisements.
    It p*sses me off that adverts want to do your thinking for you, and it is no good trying to ignore them either, they are designed for the half attentive as well as the slavering pavlovians amongst us.
    In my view the only way to counteract the brainwashing is to argue back as you're being subjected to them, to challenge their assumptions. A ten quid bargain bucket from blimmin Kentucky Fried Chicken is neither cheap, or a good way to feed the family as portrayed in the advert.
    People in advertising are very able, and very imaginative and very clever, but essentially creatures of the night who despise humanity. Ridley Scott got out and made films after his Hovis advert successes, good for him to try to regain some artistic credibility, but Saachi and Saachi and the like thrive because of our ignorance, and spend their gains on private (but sometimes public) art collections.
    It is one of the basic duties of everybody in education to teach the young to hate adverts and advertising in an attempt to redress the balance and give kids (and others) their own brains back.
  • edited July 2013
    Sir Martin Sorrell, head of WPP and essentially my ultimate boss in a roundabout way said at a company conference once that without advertising the basis of the ecomomy that we live in would crumble. Every company - large or small - needs to advertise their wares. For a freelance plasterer that could be a chat with a contractor over a pint in the pub. No different to mcdonalds competing with bk over tv space. Tv advertising though is a dying form. With vod and sky + people consume content in a different way and are essentially in control of what they view. I tell my clients to tap into peoples passion points - for instance my current projects include partnering with team sky cycling for a deodorant and launching our own music artist for a brand. It is all change now.
  • Sir Martim Sorrell, head of WPP and essentially my ultimate boss in a roundabout way.

Mine too!
  • Still get a laugh from the Old Spice ads 'I'm on a horse'