Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Galician/Spanish Train Crash

Seventy plus people died and many more were seriously injured in this disaster.

I've just watched a very brief video of the moment the train came off the rails. If the video were shown in a Hollywood blockbuster it would be derided as 'unrealistic'. The train came around a sharp bend at high velocity. The carriages didn't make it, ploughing into the retaining wall at very high speed, turning turtle and rolling over and over. The passengers must have been hurled around inside these huge metal coffins like helpless rag dolls.
All this happened near one of the most sacred cities in Spain.
My condolences to the bereaved and the survivors, many of whom will be maimed for life both physically and mentally through this awful incident.

I am sure that all CLers will join me in this expression of condolence.

Comments

• I also saw the shocking footage on Sky News and join you in mourning the dead. RIP
  • I've no intention of seeing the video - reading the report was harrowing enough. My thoughts go out to all the survivors and families of the victims.
  • I have watched the shocking footage. Quite often when a disaster occurs, eye-witnesses say: "It was just like a movie", when they had witnessed real life - or death. It's an appalling tragedy.
  • Looks like it was going ridiculously fast for such a bend. RIP to all the victims, thoughts are with the families.
  • edited July 2013
    CAFCdamo said:

Looks like it was going ridiculously fast for such a bend. RIP to all the victims, thoughts are with the families.

The line speed was around 65/80kph and the train was doing about 180kph

• CAFCdamo said:

Looks like it was going ridiculously fast for such a bend. RIP to all the victims, thoughts are with the families.

The line speed was around 65/80kph and the train was doing about 180kph

Briefly: the majority of European train lines, especially high speed, have computerised control systems which override the actions of a driver if he is going too fast, jumps a red light etc. Galicia like Catalonia and The Basque Region is a quasi independent/autonomous region within Spain. Evidently the Galician authorities decided not to install safety equipment on this stretch of line for reasons which are unclear.
    This information was expressed by a Spanish journalist on radio 4 early this morning and awaits confirmation
  • The driver admitted to speeding

He is in BIG trouble

He is in BIG trouble
    He said "I hope no one died, if they did then it's all on me"
  • Sponsored links:

He is in BIG trouble
    let's hope he is just an idiot and was not pissed at the time of the accident

He is in BIG trouble
    I'm pretty sure you can't stop a train in a station perfectly when drunk. Probably was just a case of ignoring line speed. Had that happen to me once before, left Bristol 5mins late and ended up at Reading 5mins early on a 125mph line speed.

He is in BIG trouble
    I'm pretty sure you can't stop a train in a station perfectly when drunk. Probably was just a case of ignoring line speed. Had that happen to me once before, left Bristol 5mins late and ended up at Reading 5mins early on a 125mph line speed.
    you're a train driver !!!!!???? (only pulling yer leg)
  • Wouldn't worry about the time thing Nathan,a lot of timings are soft and have make up time so the train isnt late.
    Thats why I don't like the euro system of signalling the drivers don't seem to be as aware as British drivers are to where they are,a bit like your sat nav packing up and you not knowing whats in front of you.

He is in BIG trouble
    I do know how to drive one, if I really wanted I could pay £80 and do the test up at Doncaster with DB Schenker.

He is in BIG trouble
    I do know how to drive one, if I really wanted I could pay £80 and do the test up at Doncaster with DB Schenker.
    Dream on.

He is in BIG trouble
    Dream on.
    As if you know instead

He is in BIG trouble
    Dream on.
    As if you know instead
    I'm a railway engineer. What do you do for a living?

He is in BIG trouble
    Dream on.
    As if you know instead
    I'm a railway engineer. What do you do for a living?
    Sleep.

So tell me in how many seconds must you press the warning button in before the ABS kicks in?
  • The trains i work on dont have anything called ABS but if your talking about DSD ( drivers safety device) then the answer is 55 to 60 seconds. But all trains differ. Enjoy your sleep.
  • Sponsored links:

He is in BIG trouble
    So because a train driver made up 10 mins on a trip the driver was speeding!? How the hell would you know that? Because the trees were moving past the window faster than normal? All trains have a black box and have done for years, so drivers do not speed in case they get caught. Also train running is regulated by the signalman, so a train speed is also (in a way) controlled by him and also the amount of traffic in front of it.
  • The trains i work on dont have anything called ABS but if your talking about DSD ( drivers safety device) then the answer is 55 to 60 seconds. But all trains differ. Enjoy your sleep.

Wrong, it's 2.5 seconds
  • This has gone awry a little gents.

With regard to this disaster, I have just seen the trackside camera recording on the news (assume the same as above) and can't honestly believe what I was watching. Just so fast on that bend. Terrible to see and my heart goes out to all those who have been killed and their families. Sadly, it looks like the toll will rise further in the days ahead.
  • edited July 2013
    cafckev said:

The driver admitted to speeding

He is in BIG trouble
    So because a train driver made up 10 mins on a trip the driver was speeding!? How the hell would you know that? Because the trees were moving past the window faster than normal? All trains have a black box and have done for years, so drivers do not speed in case they get caught. Also train running is regulated by the signalman, so a train speed is also (in a way) controlled by him and also the amount of traffic in front of it.
    Your absolutely right. If a driver speeds the TPWS ( Train protection warning system ) would come in and the brakes would automatically come on. What Nathan is saying is almost impossible because it would mean him passing signals at danger.
  • DSD timings vary from unit to unit and much longer on locos.A drop in speed of that much approaching a curve as severe as that would have set off the TPWS in this country resulting in the train emergency brakes going on. Unless it was isolated,which to run at full speed in this country you would have a second driver as the Spanish train did.If this was a place where the in cab sat nav based signalling finished and the older style started and the drivers got disorientated???
    Horrendous incident thoughts with the families and friends of the dead and injured.

Wrong, it's 2.5 seconds
    You would be out of a job if you worked for me and gave that answer.
  • edited July 2013
    TelMc32 said:

This has gone awry a little gents.

With regard to this disaster, I have just seen the trackside camera recording on the news (assume the same as above) and can't honestly believe what I was watching. Just so fast on that bend. Terrible to see and my heart goes out to all those who have been killed and their families. Sadly, it looks like the toll will rise further in the days ahead.

Absolutely. That video was horrendous. My thoughts are with the families of the deceased.

Wrong, it's 2.5 seconds
    You would be out of a job if you worked for me and gave that answer.
    You'd be out of a job if your boss discovered you had him working for you.
  • That video is shocking. You'd presume the driver has done the journey before. What the hell was he thinking???!!

• The 55 -60 seconds is the time between the vigilance device going off on the generally older purely timed ones,the newer ones reset the timer if the driver operates any of the controls,giving you an emergency brake application if you don't acknowledge the vigilance device.Again if that and tpws isolated to run at normal line speed you'd need essentially a second driver. That would be a plausible explanation for the train hitting the curve at that speed.