Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

“I am getting on with the squad I’ve got”

http://www.cafc.co.uk/news/article/20130830-powell-confident-in-youth-options-1024160.aspx

“If there is no leeway for us to get players in for whatever reason then it will be us working with what we have got and trying to galvanise and introduce young players, we would see what we could get from them, and do our best to get results."

Comments

• Pigott and cousins both look good so no worries there me thinks
  • good to see / hear that Powell is being so positive and realistic

Does he have any choice, in public?

Does he have any choice, in public?

true

I read it completely the other way. He is obviously pissed off that we have released more than we have brought in. He will be well aware that fans are frustrated with the lack of transfer activity and this for me, is his way of showing some solidarity with those fans.

If one of the senior players is sold before Monday and he can't replace them, I genuinely believe he will walk.
  • "for whatever reason"
  • WSS said:

http://www.cafc.co.uk/news/article/20130830-powell-confident-in-youth-options-1024160.aspx

“If there is no leeway for us to get players in for whatever reason then it will be us working with what we have got and trying to galvanise and introduce young players, we would see what we could get from them, and do our best to get results."

If Cp really motivates the squad especially the younger ones with a fighting mentality we could turn this round and get some good results this season.

I read it completely the other way. He is obviously pissed off that we have released more than we have brought in. He will be well aware that fans are frustrated with the lack of transfer activity and this for me, is his way of showing some solidarity with those fans.

If one of the senior players is sold before Monday and he can't replace them, I genuinely believe he will walk.
    I suspect that nowadays, if a manager/coach just walks away from a job in a fit of pique, that manager will never work again, or at least find it very hard to find decent work. Employers want tenacious employees and managers, not ones who walk away when the going gets tough (I am beginning to sound a bit like Billy Ocean here)

I suspect that nowadays, if a manager/coach just walks away from a job in a fit of pique, that manager will never work again, or at least find it very hard to find decent work. Employers want tenacious employees and managers, not ones who walk away when the going gets tough (I am beginning to sound a bit like Billy Ocean here)
    this - I'm pretty sure a high percentage of clubs in the country are in a similar position to us, can't see him walking

this - I'm pretty sure a high percentage of clubs in the country are in a similar position to us, can't see him walking
    The fact that he is probably considered a good bet by some would stand him in good sted. If he is no-longer employed by us, he no-longer has to be descrete either. If he were to go I suspect there might be some mud slinging. At the very least he'd give an explanation
  • Sponsored links:

• I just hope people read it as, it is what it is boys and girls not much we can do about it at the moment so lets just get on with it.

We all know majority won't thou
  • Is it really that much weaker than last season? Yes we have lost Haynes and Fuller but Church seems to be a goalscorer, Sordell on paper should be better than Haynes and we have Cousins and Piggot to add to last season's mix. Harriot is also a year older!
  • Is it really that much weaker than last season? Yes we have lost Haynes and Fuller but Church seems to be a goalscorer, Sordell on paper should be better than Haynes and we have Cousins and Piggot to add to last season's mix. Harriot is also a year older!

The downside is that our aging central midfield is another year older, although the arrival of Jordan Cousins in the first team could help out there if he can cement his place. I'd argue that our defence is as strong, if note stronger than last season on paper. But sadly football is played on grass.

• Sordell and Church represent a significant weakening of the squad when compared with Fuller and Haynes based on what Ive seen so far and the respective track records of all 4.
  • edited August 2013
    Haynes - who's setting League 1 on fire?
  • I think Church is proving to be a splendid acquisition and will score many more goals than Fuller.
  • Strikers are fine, need to strengthen that defence and Hamer to his former shot saving self, and the midfield to run games which we haven't been able to do in many games, outrun and it gives the defence too much of a job
  • Sordell and Church represent a significant weakening of the squad when compared with Fuller and Haynes based on what Ive seen so far and the respective track records of all 4.

Church has scored 4 in the 3 games he has started (and one of them was half a game against Donny)- Fuller scored 5 in 31 I believe
    From what I have seen, he knows when the onion bag is
  • I think Church is proving to be a splendid acquisition and will score many more goals than Fuller.

He'd be re-writing his scoring record if he does. Fuller bought a lot more to the table than his goals. Can't see Church playing up top on his own, nor grabbing goals out of nothing when we are under the cosh. But I hope he does well, we haven't had a channel runner for ages, and it offers new options.
  • sordells tipped for a bright future so he must be doing something for people to take notice, if powell can bring the best out in him i think 10-12 league goals is a possibility and would be a great return.
  • Sponsored links:

• Valley11 said:

Haynes - who's setting League 1 the treatment table on fire?

• Vinnie V. said:

Valley11 said:

Haynes - who's setting League 1 the treatment table on fire?

One way to guarantee he'll stay warm.
  • "Getting on with it". Just what Curbs always used to say. I like it.
    As far as blooding other youngsters is concerned, Poyet is the only one who I think would actually strengthen the first-team squad at the moment. Feely seems to have come down to earth with a bump, Azeez seems to have lost confidence in front of goal, Fox has been shifted to CB, probably for the best, Jordan has been around for a while without getting a sniff, Smith is out at Wimbledon. Maybe it's the younger year who will come through, like Holmes-Dennis, or Phillips.
  • harveys gardener Member
    3:03PM

mistrollingin said:

I think Church is proving to be a splendid acquisition and will score many more goals than Fuller.

He'd be re-writing his scoring record if he does. Fuller bought a lot more to the table than his goals. Can't see Church playing up top on his own, nor grabbing goals out of nothing when we are under the cosh. But I hope he does well, we haven't had a channel runner for ages, and it offers new options.

I should have said Church will score more at Charlton than Fuller did.
  • IMO this squad is about the same as last year the difference is that there are too many players out of form. Solly is way below last year (still better than most mind), Wiggens looks lost, Morrison needs to be dropped he's a liability and don't get me started on Ben "it's all your fault not mine" Hamer. So the problem isn't really the players it's the form they are displaying. We need a decent win to get things going, pretty much like last season when we beat Bolton after being 2-0 down.
  • Bristol City now in for Jon Obika. #cafc boss Chris Powell tells us in paper today that resigned to missing out on the Tottenham striker. - Cawley
  • I don't think he'll walk, he is full of passion and will want to prove himself no matter what the situation. He has a genuine love for the club and the fans, if he walked then it would look like he's failed in his quest to get us back to the Prem! Also, if he left who would take over? He'd leave us right in the shitter....he doesn't seem like that kind of guy.

He's in the same mould as Curbs, working with what he's got and developing players due to lack of funds, I think as fans we should all support him and let him do what he's paid to do. I bet the same people doubting him are the same people who booed Curbs near the end, and moaned about European football.....that kind of behaviour got us in this mess.
  • Getting the blend of youth and experience is the key along with instilling confidence. We still have the majority/core of the team that came 9th in this league last season, and with SCP one year wiser of the rigours and know how of Championship level football. What I am trying to say is...COME ON YOU RIP ROARING GOAL SCORING ADDICKS!!! I'll still be there cheering you on tomorrow come what may! I may have my head in my hands here and there, but that's why I love you - YOOOOOOUUU REEEEDDDDDSS
  • Church is going to be a brilliant bit of business by the club. The squad isn't too bad just we have a lot of players under performing, let's hope that starts to change starting tomorrow.
  • Church is going to be a brilliant bit of business by the club. The squad isn't too bad just we have a lot of players under performing, let's hope that starts to change starting tomorrow.

1st 11 aint that bad maybe one player off, squad a bit thin but hey ho