Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Premiership this season

Due to illness I have been in front of the tv a bit more than normal. I watched both of today's live games (Liverpool v Man U & Arsenal v Spurs), last nights MOTD in its entirety, last weekend's assorted live games and I was present at Everton v WBA. I have not yet seen a decent game (arsenal spurs was passable). Is it just me or is the standard really crap so far? If so what is the reason? New signings bedding in, too many "big games" early in the fixtures, too many unknown foreigners? Can't put my finger on it but this season is really lacking something.

Comments

• Options
    i agree with them reasons and the fact mourinho is back so the top teams are shutting up shop alot more new managers in their jobs trying to get their tactics across to players and also take into account players also trying to jel i think this season will get to life after the international break
  • Options
    It's over rated for what it is. It's been poor the last few seasons imo, reward for staying up and champions league is so high teams tend not to risk as much, one mistake normally means a goal resulting in a lot of dull games.
  • Options
    Agreed. Overall, it's been very poor so far.
  • Options
    Furguson
  • Options

Boring, predictable, corrupt, foreign owned and over-rated.
  • Options
    I wouldn't say Cardiff beating City, Palace beating Sunderland and Liverpool beating Utd is predictable
  • Options
    If it was that predictable I'm sure everyone who thinks it is has cleaned the bookies out
  • Options
    Pretty dull low scoring affair so far
  • Options
    I've for a long time been pleasantly surprised at how Premiership matches have generally remained exciting end to end affairs when compared to what I consider to be the dull, slow, keep possession, patient build up matches of the other major European leagues. This has surprised me simply because of the large number of foreign players and managers who after all provide quite dull international matches when in a league format. Perhaps it is starting to catch up with us, or maybe, hopefully, it's just a blip.
  • Options
    edited September 2013

I'vedull, slow, keep possession, patient build up matches of the other major European leagues. This has .

Isn't that how people want England to play though?

I certainly agree its usually more end to end and entertaining that the PL has been so far although money can cause to look after what they have so to speak.

It is predictable position wise which is why teams like Swansea can be a fresh face.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I wouldn't say Cardiff beating City, Palace beating Sunderland and Liverpool beating Utd is predictable

I look forward to seeing Palace and Cardiff in the top four or could it possibly be those with billions more money like Chelski and Man City??

Who can tell in the exciting meritocracy of the Premier-shit where the same teams win every season and the only thing English is the location.

• Options

Isn't that how people want England to play though?
    I personally belive that England could be successful by integrating some of the strengths of our 'natural game' into a passing game. I look at the way French children are trained and the way French teams play in general and on the whole find it admirable, but they lack a bit of inventiveness and the willingness to take a risk in the final 3rd. They are too scared to lose possession.

I'd like England to play in a similar manner but with a player or two like Gasgoigne thrown in who will always spring a surprise and try something different. In addition I'd say to the whole team to go more direct once within 30 yards of the goal, and don't be frightened to lose possession. I can't stand seeing teams go backwards or sideways and it drives me nuts in France that the ball is not played in front of the man but always to feet with no anticipation of where he will be when the ball arrives.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    True - I too like to see the ball going forward but as you say with some skill rather than just lumping down the pitch and also have the ability to get the ball out wide and into the box.

Anyway I am convinced our problem with bringing through youth isn't just due to a lack ability but attitude of some youngsters who think they've made it when they once a big club signs them up as a youth player.
  • Options
    If you include the Chelsea 2-1 Villa match that was brought forward, that's 16 goals in 10 games this round.

And in that most negative of leagues- the dull Serie A- there were a mere 43 this weekend. Just putting it out there...
  • Options
    Liverpool - United was frenetic but rather dull, so was United - Chelsea.

Early days but there are not many goals about!
  • Options
    42 goals in Serie A over the weekend. If they keep that up then I know which I will prefer to watch.
  • Options
    United are my second team, but with Fergie gone and no signings of note I am dreading the seemingly inevitable return to the 70/80's of United winning nothing.
  • Options
    Watched MOTD and MOTD2.....fell asleep watching both.
  • Options
    Arguably it is shaping up to be the most interesting Premiership for years with five and perhaps even six clubs (if you include Liverpool) with realistic top 4/title ambitions.
  • Options
    Looking at Liverpool's fixture's you have to fancy them to be well placed come Christmas. Coming up they have Swansea, Southampton, Sunderland, Palace, Newcastle & West Brom. Next tough game on paper is Arsenal away on November 2nd
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Games between the big clubs have developed a 'risk free' pattern .. there have been a few good ones between the lower and 'bigger' clubs .. Cardiff v Man City was a cracker and dare I mention (I'll whisper it then run) Palace v Sinkingland
  • Options

Looking at Liverpool's fixture's you have to fancy them to be well placed come Christmas. Coming up they have Swansea, Southampton, Sunderland, Palace, Newcastle & West Brom. Next tough game on paper is Arsenal away on November 2nd

These are the type of games they seem to struggle with, especially at Anfield when the opposition get behind the ball.
  • Options
    Suarez comes back during that period, so I reckon Liverpool will have a good go at it, but 5th is about where they'll finish
  • Options

42 goals in Serie A over the weekend. If they keep that up then I know which I will prefer to watch.

Considerably more goals in Serie A over two weeks than three Premiership rounds.

• Options
    The Man Utd 8 - 2 Arsenal, & Spuds 1 - 5 Man City results, a couple of seasons back were pretty darn good though! Both of those fixtures were on the same day, & relatively early in the season that year.

I don't see much of anything, live footie-wise here (apart from CAFC player), especially the top flight, as I'm based in Aus' now, & I don't have the Sky TV equivalent. What I have caught has seemed pretty dour thus far though. I've been quite surprised at the pensive nature of some of the games involving the billionaire boys clubs.
  • Options

Swansea will do them, if the Europa cup doesnt take it's toll this season I reckon Swansea will finish top 6.

• Options

United are my second team, but with Fergie gone and no signings of note I am dreading the seemingly inevitable return to the 70/80's of United winning nothing.

Yeah you must be dreading it. Just the memories of winning every trophy multiple times for 2 full decades to keep you warm at night.
  • Options
    Find it an incredibly boring league most of the time, and all the talk and fuss around it is cringeworthy. The season has been running three weeks now and there has been next to no major discussion points regarding Football in the widespread media because of this pocksy transfer window.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

Find it an incredibly boring league most of the time, and all the talk and fuss around it is cringeworthy. The season has been running three weeks now and there has been next to no major discussion points regarding Football in the widespread media because of this pocksy transfer window.

Here here. Its not a sport its an armchair TV entertainment business for Asian people.

• Options
    edited September 2013
    I find the Prem boring as feck. No, I really do.

Yeah, I said it.