Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England - Lets Get The Excuses In Early

England v Ukraine tonight , lose and the press will be all over it , they've already been going on about how we don't produce enough talent , coaching not good enough , blah de blah , but what will change , might actually do us a favour if we go a few tournaments to not qualify ( i know i'll get shot down in flames for saying it ) but when i was growing up , England were crap in the 70's , in fact they missed out on qualifying for 2 World Cups , & 2 Euro's, 40 years on , and i can't say we've improved much , what do you think?

Comments

• Options
    Should have been done after 2006 world cup, Ukraine are massive at 5/2 to win the group and 7/4 to win tonight in my opinion.
  • Options
    Daily Mail " to many forign c++ts "
    Daily Mirror "the EDL c++ts did it"
    Guardian "half price on hemp jackets"
  • Options
    Kyle Walker done too many balloons
  • Options
    Failed to qualify for each once since the seventies, reached two semis and five quarter finals since. Not gone out of the WC at the group stage since either. Depends on what your definition of improvement is, I tend to go by the one in the dictionary.
  • Options
    If we win, we will still have god knows how many idiots saying "Still not convincing though, wahhhh!!"
  • Options
    I blame Rooney's gash....
  • Options
    we will win tonight 1-3
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Imo RH is the best man for the job , and is doing the best with what we've got , i'm fully behind him , i don't want to see the press get on his back if we don't qualify, but the quality and numbers of quality players available to him , is shocking.
  • Options

Imo RH is the best man for the job , and is doing the best with what we've got , i'm fully behind him , i don't want to see the press get on his back if we don't qualify, but the quality and numbers of quality players available to him , is shocking.

This. Guys got a great track record having successful teams with relatively poor talent available.
  • Options
    They need to stop throwing caps around to all and sundry.
    Have a plan and stick to it. If you are looking long term, get a group of early twentysomethings and stick with them.
    Try to keep the neucleus of the team stable.
    If a player is injured and can't play, then bring him anyway, if only for morale.
    Come on England.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Liking that Robbo.
  • Options
    If we qualify then we're good enough, if we don't qualify we are not good enough - simple as that.
  • Options
    Ukriane 0 England 1 (Gerrard). That's where my money is.
  • Options
    England 0 Premiership 2.3 billion (quid)
  • Options
    Lampards 100th cap. 10/1 1st goalscorer for the sentimentalists amongst you.
  • Options
    For all England's undoubted limitations, this is a game we have a right to expect not to lose! It is going to be tough and Ukraine will be up for it, but a lot will depend on our approach. I think England have to go for victory tonight for two reasons.

Firstly – if they are too defensive minded they will play into Ukraine’s hands and

Secondly a win will mean they can afford to lose one of their two remaining games at home to Montenegro and Poland and still finish top. Neither are walkovers so the three points tonight would take a lot of pressure off.

Of course qulaifying and doing well in the actual finals are two completely different propositions. I'd play Walcott as the second striker personally
  • Options
    edited September 2013

Have a plan and stick to it. If you are looking long term, get a group of early twentysomethings and stick with them.
    If a player is injured and can't play, then bring him anyway, if only for morale.
    Come on England.

I tend to agree.

How has Ross Barkley earned an England cap already?? In a competetive game as well. Cant give out caps on 'potential'. The guys made just 16 Prem appearances!!!
  • Options

Come on England.

I tend to agree.

How has Ross Barkley earned an England cap already?? In a competetive game as well. Cant give out caps on 'potential'. The guys made just 16 Prem appearances!!!
    And didn't stand out against us. Now he's playing for England

And where is Jonjo? Leaves Liverpool and loses his place?

Anyway - what we need to do is build the team around the spine. Hart (overrated sometimes and makes too many mistakes), Cahill (young-ish), Wilshere (world class. fabulous player. Englands future) and Sturridge (when fit).
    Throw in Walcott, Sterling, Welbeck (who I personally think is cack) and you have plenty of attacking options. Bent, Defoe and Rooney other options too

Then look at Barclay, Shelvey, Nathan Redmond as backups who should be in and around the squad

Defence needs some strengthening though. Not enough strength in depth but we have a lot of decent attacking youngsters

We need to write-off a few tournaments and build something around our younger players. Germany did it. Spain did it. France did it. All won things with it (Germany haven't this time round yet - but it's likely)

Tonight - I predict a 1-1 or maybe a 1-2. Really tight game and a rather hostile atmosphere

• Options
    Cannot agree more about the willy nilly cap giving that has been going on for a few years now. I don't agree with the 'blood them in young' approach as it rarely seems to make any difference.

Gone are the days when fans would have to campaign on the terraces and sing "so and so for England" week in and week out, driving that player on to keep up the consistency. Nowadays, you just need 'potential' to play on the international stage.

It has been statistically demonstrated that teams with consistent squads and teams tend to do better. Its not about the individual quality of the players, but the unit as a whole. Bringing in one or two 19 year olds 'just to give them a chance' every bloody game doesn't actually help anyone IMO.
  • Options
    I'd add Baines to that Swisdom. 29 years old, so has two major tournaments in him at least. Walker is a fairly decent RB, be interesting to see how he does if we qualify for the WC. We have the basics of a fairly good international team, we just need consistency in selection.

I think Lambert has also been a breath of fresh air, because he's slightly different to what most overseas players play against domestically.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    When you combine BOTH club football and international football, Danny Welbeck has only scored 29 career goals. Yet he always seems to start when he is available. If that doesn't tell you that playing for Man United gives you an enormous advantage of getting into the England squad, regardless of ability or form, then I don't know what does.
  • Options
    Id love it if we win tonight just to annoy Martin Samuel in the Mail.

He is itching for us to lose and Lambert to have a stinker just so it backs up his support of Harry Redknapp.

The dig at Chris Powell in his article today was also unnecessary.

I think it will be 1-1 personally which is a good result.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

Cannot agree more about the willy nilly cap giving that has been going on for a few years now. I don't agree with the 'blood them in young' approach as it rarely seems to make any difference.

Gone are the days when fans would have to campaign on the terraces and sing "so and so for England" week in and week out, driving that player on to keep up the consistency. Nowadays, you just need 'potential' to play on the international stage.

It has been statistically demonstrated that teams with consistent squads and teams tend to do better. Its not about the individual quality of the players, but the unit as a whole. Bringing in one or two 19 year olds 'just to give them a chance' every bloody game doesn't actually help anyone IMO.

Now when did that pay off for us before..........oh yeh 1966. C'mon England just make sure we don't lose.
  • Options

He is itching for us to lose and Lambert to have a stinker just so it backs up his support of Harry Redknapp.

Lambert is the future. I'd give him the armband.
  • Options
    At 31 lol
  • Options
    Lambert will be a surprise package in brazil in my opinion. Will want it so badly and knows where the goal is as well as being a handful physically.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    A 31yo with more desire to wear that shirt than the rest of them combined. I'm not being 100% serious but he does reminds me of this lot http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONxxep8NbmQ
  • Options

What did he say about CP, Tim?
    cafctom said:

When you combine BOTH club football and international football, Danny Welbeck has only scored 29 career goals. Yet he always seems to start when he is available. If that doesn't tell you that playing for Man United gives you an enormous advantage of getting into the England squad, regardless of ability or form, then I don't know what does.

The only time any manager has really picked from across the board has been when a foreigner has been in charge Tom, during my lifetime all the English managers have been hard set on picking players from the biggest clubs, encouraged by the press of course.
  • Options

What did he say about CP, Tim?
    cafctom said:

The only time any manager has really picked from across the board has been when a foreigner has been in charge Tom, during my lifetime all the English managers have been hard set on picking players from the biggest clubs, encouraged by the press of course.
    Agree Algarve on the basis in more recent times that if you were really good you would be playing for one of the top sides and gaining experience in Europe. Back in the day of course Sir Alf picked from across the board and more recently the likes of Le Tissier and Shearer were exceptions to the rule.
  • Options
    I'm an Englishman and i'm proud of that. I therefore support any team that represents England. Even when things aren't going great.
    It's a bit like supporting Charlton actually.
    A win for England tonight would be fabulous. A draw would be enough.