Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Gerrard, Lampard or Scholes?

http://www.crunchsports.com/category/Soccer/Jamie-Carragher-and-Gary-Neville-collide-over-Steven-Gerrard-Frank-Lampard-and-Paul-Scholes-201309170001/

Funny debate last night which I reckon went on after the cameras switched off.

Who is your 1,2 and 3?

Mine is:

1. Gerrard
2. Scholes
3. Lampard

Comments

• Such a difficult question as they all offer something different to the other.

Lampard scores goals for fun. Gerrard carries a team when its playing badly and has a great engine. Scholes cant tackle but his passing is better than the other two.
  • edited September 2013
    1.Lampard
    2. Scholes
    3. Gerrard

It's difficult and I keep changing it around but the amount of goals that Lampard scores is amazing.
  • I think Lampard's goals are far more important than Scholes' passing or Gerrard's commitment/engine.
    A 1 in 3 record in his time at Chelsea is outrageously good.
    He's played more games than both of them and went nearly 5 seasons without missing a league game for Chelsea. I think i read somewhere that he's only had one season at Chelsea where he played less than 40 games, and he still scored 13 goals.

Lampard, Gerrard, Scholes.
  • Scholes, Lampard, Gerrard for me - Scholes's all round game (tackling excepted) kept United ticking for over a decade of continual success, no coincidence for me.
  • Scholes
    Gerrard
    Lampard
  • Gerrard, Lampard, Scholes for me.....Gerrard the best all round midfielder in my opinion, almost the complete player. Lampard goal record is unbelievable, Scholes - great player but relied on others more I believe
  • 1.Scholes
    2.Gerrard
    3.Lampard

The trophies speak for themselves.
  • Scholes. The other two aren't in his class. Lampard next due to goal scoring ability. Gerrard third, but his passing range is shocking compared to the other two.
  • Anyone who Xavi thinks has been the best midfielder in the last 15-20 years wins my vote (admittedly from an interview in 2011).

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1355726/Xavi-interview-Paul-Scholes-best-midfielder-20-years.html
  • 1.Scholes
    2.Gerrard
    3.Lampard

Then arguably Lampard could be above Gerrard

Lampard :

FA Premier League (3): 2004–05, 2005–06, 2009–10
    FA Cup (4): 2006–07, 2008–09, 2009–10, 2011–12
    Football League Cup (2): 2004–05, 2006–07
    FA Community Shield (2): 2005, 2009
    UEFA Champions League (1): 2011–12
    UEFA Europa League (1): 2012–13

Gerrard :

FA Cup (2): 2000–01, 2005–06
    League Cup (3): 2000–01, 2002–03, 2011–12
    FA Community Shield (2): 2001, 2006
    UEFA Champions League (1): 2004–05
    UEFA Cup (1): 2000–01
    UEFA Super Cup (2): 2001, 2005

• Sponsored links:

• Scholes, Gerrard, Lampard
  • Scholes number 1 all day long

(FACT)
  • Lampard
    Gerrard
    Scholes
  • Gerrard, Lampard, then Scholes.

Always noticed Gerrard more than the other two when they've come down The Valley. That said, Lampard has scored enough goals against us over the years.

All great players.

• 1.Gascoigne
    2.Hoddle
    3.Brooking

Scholes should not be allowed to lace their boots of the above for his "retirement" from international football.

• Let's say you played all of them to their strengths for me lampard would be the best player.

If it was flat 442 and you had the choice to either have one of those 3 players to play alongside a central midfielder such as Vieira in his prime, then I would have Scholes.

Gerrard is class but his loyalty to Liverpool has cost him and stopped him from being the best midfielder in the world. Not putting that against him, at least he's a one club man even if not as.successful as they could be.

can't put them in order equally as good for different reasons.
  • Scholes all day long.

Carragher must be on crack if he thinks Gerrard is the better player. I nearly choked on my tea when he said that last night.

• 1.Gascoigne
    2.Hoddle
    3.Brooking

Scholes should not be allowed to lace their boots of the above for his "retirement" from international football.

Agree . And you can lump Shearer in the dumping England thing as well. .
  • JohnBoyUK said:

Scholes all day long.

Carragher must be on crack if he thinks Gerrard is the better player. I nearly choked on my tea when he said that last night.

Gerrard is by far a better all round player, Scholes a great passer but couldnt tackle or head the ball and as a CM they are important attributes to have!
  • 1.Scholes
    2.Gerrard
    3.Lampard

This Scholes isn't just a good passer he controlled the midfield and made Man U tick
  • Sponsored links:

• JohnBoyUK said:

Scholes all day long.

Why? Gerrard has more to his game than the other two. He's also played up front, all across the middle and right-back, and never looked uncomfortable.

Certainly not saying that you're wrong to think Scholes was better - a lot of people do - but it's definitely not as clear-cut as you make out I don't think.
  • JohnBoyUK said:

Scholes all day long.

Gerrard is by far a better all round player, Scholes a great passer but couldnt tackle or head the ball and as a CM they are important attributes to have!
    I'm sorry, I just dont agree. I've seen all three many many times and Scholes was by far the most efficient, intelligent player on the pitch. Mind you, he did have some of them games up against the midfield powerhouses Stephen Clemmence, Michael Brown, Jermaine Jenas, Didier Zokora and Wilson Palacios for the most part ;)

Spurs could never keep Scholes quiet. You only have to look at the record of United against Spurs in the PL. Lampard and Gerard had the odd decent game against Spurs but are not in same class as Scholes.

I agree that Gerrard has the better engine of the three and tubby has the better goal scoring record but Scholes kept United ticking over for years.

• if you asked the midfield of european teams over the last 10 -15 years and I'm talking top quality players, Zidane etc, you would have one answer Paul Scholes end of.The he can't head a ball comment, what rubbish I have seen him ghost in and score many a goal with his head.
  • edited September 2013
    Scholes
    Gerrard
    Lampard

That's not a dig at Lampard or Gerrard (both quality players). They've all got strengths and weaknesses, but I'd take Scholes.

• JohnBoyUK said:

Scholes all day long.

Iniesta and Xavi can't head or tackle - does that make someone like Gerrard a better player because he can? No.

Scholes was class.
  • if you asked the midfield of european teams over the last 10 -15 years and I'm talking top quality players, Zidane etc, you would have one answer Paul Scholes end of.The he can't head a ball comment, what rubbish I have seen him ghost in and score many a goal with his head.

Xavi at Barcelona named Scholes as the best midfielder of his generation. Good enough for me.

Xavi at Barcelona named Scholes as the best midfielder of his generation. Good enough for me.
    Conversely, the "best of all time" - Pele - said not so long ago that Gerrard had been the best player in the world for the last five years.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,,12016_2379622,00+en-USS_01DBC.html

Conversely, the "best of all time" - Pele - said not so long ago that Gerrard had been the best player in the world for the last five years.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,,12016_2379622,00+en-USS_01DBC.html

Pele also put El Hadji Diouf on a list of the 100 best living footballers not so long ago.

• I also seem to remember Rivaldo saying he was the only English player would get anywhere near the Brazil side in 2002.
  • Didnt Pele also say Nicky Butt was his player of the 2006 WC.