Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Wigan Athletic away 1st February 2014

A little early for this? Perhaps. Or not.

Let's all look at this situation and be honest with ourselves, our away attendance outside of London is very poor. We've taken 1,500 to Bournemouth which is the first game of the season, and 1,700 away to Watford which isn't too far away (though still should have sold out), but then less than 400 to Barnsley and 159 in the cup away to Huddersfield (allbeit a Tuesday night).

It's 4 and a half months from writing this post that we play travel to the DW stadium in February 2014. More than enough time to take time off work, book cheap travel or even organise car shares to save money on getting there and back.

If for example, we managed to take say a minimum of 1,500 fans up to this game, then we know our support is there. No excuses for the future only taking 200 fans away to Bolton like we did last season (of which I myself attended). Not to mention that it would provide good finance for our club taking that many up there, which of course we can't complain about.

Some fans have said to me, "Have you seen Wigan?" "Why would you want to go there?"... This is exactly the small minded mentality of some of our fans that give us the name of 'trainspotters', 'bovril drinkers', etc. Surely if you support your club, it doesn't matter where you go to follow them and cheer them on.

Expect to see a big push over the next few months in an attempt to get an extraordinary amount of Charlton aways fans compared to normal out of London.

The question is, why not? There should be very little excuses.

Comments

• Drone drone drone.

I'll say it to you as well. Have you been to Wigan? I have, twice. Its a total hole and the ground is a souless dump.

Our away support is what it is. My days of having an away season ticket are over. I'll pick and choose a few games as and when I see fit, not because someone decides our supporters are all Bovril Drinkers and trainspotters.

If you go, I 'm sure you and the other 499 that make the trip will have a lovely day out.
  • edited September 2013
    "Not to mention that it would provide good finance for our club taking that many up there, which of course we can't complain about." Pretty certain that all gate money goes to the Home team only.

Other than that, good luck with this, have you thought about talking to the club ? Maybe, if enough people are interested, they may help laying on coaches, etc.

[Edit: Yes, I have been to Wigan before].
  • Saw us lose 3-0 there, then the truly dismal performance which saw Dowie sacked afterwards. Both times I went by coach, the latter from Southampton for. And sat soaked for 5 hours on the way back. I don't owe anyone anything.

• Drone drone drone.

I'll say it to you as well. Have you been to Wigan? I have, twice. Its a total hole and the ground is a souless dump.

Our away support is what it is. My days of having an away season ticket are over. I'll pick and choose a few games as and when I see fit, not because someone decides our supporters are all Bovril Drinkers and trainspotters.

If you go, I 'm sure you and the other 499 that make the trip will have a lovely day out.

I wish they still did away season tickets. And if you read what I said properly, some people think that's what we are because of a certain few fans who think with that smallminded mentality. I actually think most of our fans have fantastic support, but our attendances are poor outside of London.
  • "Not to mention that it would provide good finance for our club taking that many up there, which of course we can't complain about." Pretty certain that all gate money goes to the Home team only.

Other than that, good luck with this, have you thought about talking to the club ? Maybe, if enough people are interested, they may help laying on coaches, etc.

I'm sure our club receive a percentage of the tickets sold because we're the ones actually selling them. Could be wrong.

And yes I will be in touch with Mick and Ben in short time.
  • RedPanda said:

Saw us lose 3-0 there, then the truly dismal performance which saw Dowie sacked afterwards. Both times I went by coach, the latter from Southampton for. And sat soaked for 5 hours on the way back. I don't owe anyone anything.

I blame Dowie
  • "Not to mention that it would provide good finance for our club taking that many up there, which of course we can't complain about." Pretty certain that all gate money goes to the Home team only.

I'm sure our club receive a percentage of the tickets sold because we're the ones actually selling them. Could be wrong.

And yes I will be in touch with Mick and Ben in short time.
    League rules stipulate 5 per cent of advance sales, I think. Presumably net of VAT. So, sell 1,500 at an average net price of £20, Charlton woud get £1,500. Nothing to get very excited about.
  • I only get to a few always these days but this one has already been pencilled in along with a weekend in Liverpool.

• Would be up for another "operation" this season, just please not Wigan in late January/early February.
  • Been there at the 3 nil defeat, won't be there this time as its the wife's 60th birthday and we got a family do with the hotel already booked. Am I allowed not to go?
  • Sponsored links:

• We just don't have it in us to take 1000+ regularly away from home. Plenty of clubs with our size home support and smaller take better followings because more of their fans want to go away.
    Its a tribal thing i think, we just don't have as many fans who care as much as those of other clubs do.
  • "Have you seen Wigan?" "Why would you want to go there?"... This is exactly the small minded mentality of some of our fans that give us the name of 'trainspotters', 'bovril drinkers', etc."

what? that's not why certain fans call us trainspotters.
    and Bovril drinkers is made up by us describing some of our own fans.
  • We just don't have it in us to take 1000+ regularly away from home. Plenty of clubs with our size home support and smaller take better followings because more of their fans want to go away.
    Its a tribal thing i think, we just don't have as many fans who care as much as those of other clubs do.

When you cut through the bollocks this is basically the answer.

Taking 900 up to carlise for a possible promotion because it was a bit far shows how much most of the fans care.

Then there is a big fight over bournemouth tickets. Its who and where we play that matters to the majority of our fans not our team.
  • Leeds away and millwall away rather close to this so sorry, im out
  • I'm only going if stilettos is still open.
  • Will be going 100%, local game for me going to University up in Liverpool.
  • The service by train for this game is very good.

Frequent and only two hours from Euston, thinking ahead it should be £32 return on advance purchase, unless you have a railcard for a further discount.
  • I think SWP has it right...I love charlton, ive had season tickets an I've been going since I was 7, an I go to about 20 games a season...but I'm probably not gonna go to Wigan, an if I don't I probably won't care that much...because there's more to life than charlton and we (probably most of us) live in London an theres a lot if rather do than trek to Wigan on a Saturday afternoon. So let Wednesday and Leeds sell out all over the country because when the final whistle blows they remember where they're going home to, an that they have nothing to do until the next opportunity to leave

• I think SWP has it right...I love charlton, ive had season tickets an I've been going since I was 7, an I go to about 20 games a season...but I'm probably not gonna go to Wigan, an if I don't I probably won't care that much...because there's more to life than charlton and we (probably most of us) live in London an theres a lot if rather do than trek to Wigan on a Saturday afternoon. So let Wednesday and Leeds sell out all over the country because when the final whistle blows they remember where they're going home to, an that they have nothing to do until the next opportunity to leave

Enjoyed that answer!
  • Booked Birmingham Blackburn and will do QPR few of the lads i go with are out to oz for a couple of months so thats me not doing much over december and january and ive already been to Watford Bournemouth and Barnsley. the bad support does annoy me but end of the day football is a pricey day out, a typical away day

£20-30 ticket
    £20-40 train
    £40 grub and beer minimum

some people just cant justify spending 80-130 twice a month plus most of our away fans are season ticket holders so when you factor that into it, its a lot of money following us home and away and i think the coaches are a good suggestion i personally wouldnt use them because i prefer to have a beer and do my own thing but if people would use and it would increase our away support im all for it, for those that want it.
  • Sponsored links:

• RedPanda said:

Saw us lose 3-0 there, then the truly dismal performance which saw Dowie sacked afterwards. Both times I went by coach, the latter from Southampton for. And sat soaked for 5 hours on the way back. I don't owe anyone anything.

I blame Dowie
    Wrong, Dowie's last game was a 3-2 defeat. The 3-0 game was season before.

When you cut through the bollocks this is basically the answer.

Taking 900 up to carlise for a possible promotion because it was a bit far shows how much most of the fans care.

Then there is a big fight over bournemouth tickets. Its who and where we play that matters to the majority of our fans not our team.
    This certainly shouldn't be the case though
  • Wigan away tickets will be £15 with an allocation of 5k. We should take a load up there.
  • In the space of 2 weeks we have Middlesbrough away, Doncaster away on a tuesday night and then Wigan away. I'd be amazed if we take more than 500 to any of them.
  • In the space of 2 weeks we have Middlesbrough away, Doncaster away on a tuesday night and then Wigan away. I'd be amazed if we take more than 500 to any of them.

that is 3 bastard away games ha

Erm Chris, I think you meant all of them.

• ill be at doncaster on the tuesday wont be doing boro though and i will try to do wigan as its a ground ive never visited.
  • Ha ha very true. At a time of year when no one has any money, i don't think you could get 3 worse away trips.
  • Ha ha very true. At a time of year when no one has any money, i don't think you could get 3 worse away trips.

I know what you mean, but surely Palace, Millwall and Brentford are up there?

• Alex, out of interest, how old are you and what's you personal situation ?

If like me you are married with young kids, you would appreciate how difficult it is to attend regular away football. Be it the impact of the cost, or the impact of further time away from home, or the sheer selfishness of it. It's just not viable in the majority of cases.

There are very few on here that are regular home and away travellers. There are however, many on here that have been regular home and away travellers at some stage in their lives. People's situations change and so do their priorities.

Our away support is largely what it is as the vast majority of our support base are home only , or away pick n choosers, for various reasons. Things that would change that are a higher greater number of late teens/early 20s coming through the ranks, a season with a number of closer games than the norf-based leagues we've had in recent years, and a successful season to tempt those pick n choosers to be that bit more regular.

But it is not something that will change overnight, or in the next 12 months, it will only change over a long period as rarely over time to people's attending habits increase rather than decrease.