Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Advert of the Year 2013

Comments

• Still don't know the relevance of Barry Scott.
  • We employ and despise propaganda in equal measure. The aim of propaganda and advertising is not to be truthful or informative
  • We employ and despise propaganda in equal measure. The aim of propaganda and advertising is not to be truthful or informative but to undermine a persons ability to think for themselves. We seem to have documentaries about everything, but not about the cheating in adverts, from hidden pins to make the clothes look great on the model, to PVA glue doubling as milk in cereal adverts. The media does not want to expose the duplicity of their pay masters.
    Of course Martin Sorrell wants to justify his existence, but he should be honest enough to admit that he is exploitative, just like wartime propaganda was.
    It is way too late to rid ourselves of the evils of the advertising industry, but there is hope that we can educate people about the methods used, and their impact in order to try to return peoples brains to themselves.
    Advertising sustaining the whole economy huh? Absolute bollocks of the first order, but it is a comfort blanket for those in the con industry to hold on to I suppose.
  • edited July 2013
    Bill Hicks had advertising nailed down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHCs3v_mFkM
  • A funny thing happened this morning
  • In advertising, like most industries, there are certain people/companies that push the boundaries of acceptable behaviour.
  • edited July 2013
    seth plum said:

We employ and despise propaganda in equal measure. The aim of propaganda and advertising is not to be truthful or informative but to undermine a persons ability to think for themselves. We seem to have documentaries about everything, but not about the cheating in adverts, from hidden pins to make the clothes look great on the model, to PVA glue doubling as milk in cereal adverts. The media does not want to expose the duplicity of their pay masters.
    Of course Martin Sorrell wants to justify his existence, but he should be honest enough to admit that he is exploitative, just like wartime propaganda was.
    It is way too late to rid ourselves of the evils of the advertising industry, but there is hope that we can educate people about the methods used, and their impact in order to try to return peoples brains to themselves.
    Advertising sustaining the whole economy huh? Absolute bollocks of the first order, but it is a comfort blanket for those in the con industry to hold on to I suppose.

No it doesnt sustain the whole economy, but people telling other people what they are selling has been going on for hundreds of years.

Crikey - you make out that people like me and my clients are Adolf Hitler mark 2.

The amount of guff spouted in this post is ludicrous. You do know that there are laws, rules and regulations regarding what you can (and more specifically cannot) say in an advert. ANY claims made regarding a product need to be substantiated via a frustating (from my perspective) level of detail. If you dont have this scientific evidence to a point, then Clearcast wouldnt approve a TV advert.

And if you think we have it bad, try living in the US. I am sure that the American Addicks amoung us will confirm that the level of brand and product integration within the actual TV show over there is massively greater than anything we have in the UK.

And finally - you do know that you dont have to buy a product you dont like?! It is a free world. As I said, anyone from a plasterer to a multinational corporation is and should be allowed to advertise. What next - you cant allow a carpet fitter to place an ad in his local hardware store because he is trying to brainwash his local community?
  • A funny thing happened this morning

I'll say. I woke up next to a blonde. Thing is, Mrs AUN is brunette.
  • seth plum said:

We employ and despise propaganda in equal measure. The aim of propaganda and advertising is not to be truthful or informative but to undermine a persons ability to think for themselves. We seem to have documentaries about everything, but not about the cheating in adverts, from hidden pins to make the clothes look great on the model, to PVA glue doubling as milk in cereal adverts. The media does not want to expose the duplicity of their pay masters.

Did those x-ray glasses you ordered from Beano not actually work?
  • Lol that's amusing MrOneLung.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2013
    You mention regulations that attempt to control advertising, the very existence of those regulations demonstrate that it is not only me that thinks the advertising industry is dangerous ground where people make a living conning others.
    No you don't have to buy a product (that phrase itself is revealing, the bottom line is 'give me your money'), but if adverts were not brilliantly successful in getting people to part with their money they wouldn't exist would they?
    Choice is a fluid term, expecially given the bombastic or insidious nature of the medium, but to liken the advertising industry to akin to a humble notice in a shop window is disingenuous and in itself a form of brainwashing. The card offering a bike for sale is just the same to the vast inescapable presence of MacDonalds is it?
    Possibly the first step towards brainwashing others is to brainwash yourself first. Are you familiar with the work of George Orwell, and the concept of 'doublethink'?
    I am not persuaded I am afraid, only very depressed at the whole shebang. However to to say there is any kind of a noble purpose behind advertising is deception.
  • I suppose advertising could be called propaganda?

Ultimately its up to us to decide, if there was an advert where everyone leaps off a cliff, would we all do it or maybe think first.

There are some very good adverts out there, I like the Snickers one with Joan Collins.

Also they could have the reverse effect, i.e. they use an actor. celebrity that you can't stand so therefore won't purchase anything that they endorse. How many Charlton fans would buy anything promoted by Simon Jordan?

Anyone remember a Dudley Moore film where he was an advertising executive and started telling people the truth in adverts, e.g don't buy this product its shit etc, be interesting if someone tried this in real life.

• Coming up next - Seth Plum exposes women who use make up to hide their real look, the duplicitous cows.

I will now add them to the 'creatures of the night who despise humanity' pile.

• se9addick said:
    that's quality! Was expecting him to bite some one. Didn't see a black person in the advert either...
  • That's because he'd already eaten them.
  • MrOneLung said:

Coming up next - Seth Plum exposes women who use make up to hide their real look, the duplicitous cows.

Nah, women who use make up are victims of the chite adverts in the pages of magazines. Or use Olay because Jessica Ennis advertises it, and if they use it they will win the Olympic Heptathlon. Or are endlessly told the way they actualy look isn't good enough, or even use make up for fun.
    Either way those who advertise the products are creatures of the night who indeed despise humanity.
  • iaitch said:

Anyone remember a Dudley Moore film where he was an advertising executive and started telling people the truth in adverts, e.g don't buy this product its shit etc, be interesting if someone tried this in real life.

Didn't Gerald Ratner try that with his decanter and six glasses set, calling them 'crap'?

They went into receivership within a year.

• Addickted said:

iaitch said:

Didn't Gerald Ratner try that with his decanter and six glasses set, calling them 'crap'?

They went into receivership within a year.

Yeah that's right! And the CEO of Next said something along the lines of "the only people who buy our suits are guys about to make their first court appearance"
  • Sponsored links:

• Stig. This wins it by a million miles.
  • @Stig - proper chuckle at that ad!
  • seth plum said:

MrOneLung said:

Coming up next - Seth Plum exposes women who use make up to hide their real look, the duplicitous cows.

Nah, women who use make up are victims of the chite adverts in the pages of magazines. Or use Olay because Jessica Ennis advertises it, and if they use it they will win the Olympic Heptathlon. Or are endlessly told the way they actualy look isn't good enough, or even use make up for fun.
    Either way those who advertise the products are creatures of the night who indeed despise humanity.
    Presume this is a tongue firmly in cheek post, Seth...

...otherwise this could be our first falling out !

I, myself, in person, am a walking advert for the truly wonderful & life changing properties of the fountain of youth that is Olay.

Who would doubt that I am in fact due a telegram from the Queen in 5 years time.

• Stig. This wins it by a million miles.

I'd like to think so, although I did think that the word "now" at the end was a little disconcerting when I thought of all the swimming pools I'd been in ;-o
  • Seth

You are spouting a right lot of bollocks here. Advertising is just a way of communicating messages on a mass scale. You are aimin at the wrong target. You need to address yourself to the clients, the companies who make the products or services advertised. The agencies often despair of having to work on something like a mainstream lager because there is nothing really to say. Agencies often most enjoy working on a charity or a public service campaign because there is usually something very clear and compelling to say. That's why one of the best agencies in the world in 1990 was happy to work on a campaign to help a bunch of football fans supporting a nondescript second division club fight a local election. Surely you haven't forgotten that?
  • I don't get to see enough good ads out here, believe it or not the UK is still the best in the world at it. This is one of my favorites from the last couple of years

youtu.be/eOHAUvbuV4o
  • Call me a sap but I love this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyeDBZaxFa8

Like this one a lot.