Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Jordan Cousins Evening Standard Interview

Comments

• He is very good now, he could become a truly great player, though that description is used too liberally nowadays.
    I have said before that he reminds me of Stephen Gerrard. Every game that I see reinforces my view.
    This is an interesting interview with a very nice young man who is a credit to his parents, to his community and to Charlton Athletic Football Club, especially the academy.
  • He is very good now, he could become a truly great player, though that description is used too liberally nowadays.
    I have said before that he reminds me of Stephen Gerrard. Every game that I see reinforces my view.
    This is an interesting interview with a very nice young man who is a credit to his parents, to his community and to Charlton Athletic Football Club, especially the academy.

This 100%

• he is better than parker, jonjo, bowyer imo at this age
  • Its good to see him come through now, I really feared that little parasite was going to ruin him even after he was proven innocent! If anything it seems to have now galvanised him. His technique and composure is the thing that impresses me.
  • In my opinion I think it is a bit early to say he is better than Scott Parker, But providing he does not take the same route as Parker and chase the money then I think he has the potential to definitely be better.Parker's biggest problem was moving to Chelsea which stopped his career in its track hopefully Cousins will have a bit more respect and loyalty for the club than that.
  • Can't believe the way he whores himself out to Chelsea and Arsenal at the end of the article though.

:)
  • Hopefully he gets a call up to the u21's. He deserves it
  • Stay grounded , and keep going Jordan.
  • Well deserved publicity, but a bit uncomfortable seeing the two managers pictured beside the article. Great to hear that he has sensible parents, but I have supported this Club too long not to fear what happens next.
  • In my opinion I think it is a bit early to say he is better than Scott Parker, But providing he does not take the same route as Parker and chase the money then I think he has the potential to definitely be better.Parker's biggest problem was moving to Chelsea which stopped his career in its track hopefully Cousins will have a bit more respect and loyalty for the club than that.

Parker's career afterwards has hardly been a failure though. Cousins has a long way to go to match Parker's achievements.
  • Sponsored links:

• In terms of medals and caps what have been Parker's achievements?

His bank account is probably very healthy.
  • iaitch said:

In terms of medals and caps what have been Parker's achievements?

probably the only thing he cares about.
  • vffvff
    edited October 2013
    Chelsea bought Parker, not because they wanted to play him but to weaken a competitor. Charlton were 4th, playing well and looking like they could beat anybody. Charlton had played a lot of difficult away games and hard as it is to believe now, could have ended up 4th and in the champions league play off or uefa places.

The move led to Scott Parker's career going backwards. I wish Curbs had told him that he could not leave in the summer. Chelsea offered 3 times the wages he was on Charlton, it may have been good for his bank balance (if he managed not to gamble it away) but that was about it. Parker never got a sniff at Chelsea but Chelsea never intended him to. Parker never really filled his true potential at Charlton or elsewhere. It is a shame for Charlton and for Parker himself.

• I hope Jordan Cousins can stay for a couple of seasons at least. Arguably it is better in the long run to get regular games at Charlton then being bought by a premiership club and loaned out to lots and lots of different clubs. The interview in the ES was good. It sounds like he has got his feet on the floor, helped by his family.

Jordan Cousins is going to be a top player for a long time and will definitely make his money. He is perfect for the charlton midfield. It should be Jordan Cousins + 1in the midfield at present. JC is the player that the Charlton midfield has missed for some years.
  • vff said:

I hope Jordan Cousins can stay for a couple of seasons at least. Arguably it is better in the long run to get regular games at Charlton then being bought by a premiership club and loaned out to lots and lots of different clubs. The interview in the ES was good. It sounds like he has got his feet on the floor, helped by his family.

Jordan Cousins is going to be a top player for a long time and will definitely make his money. He is perfect for the charlton midfield. It should be Jordan Cousins + 1in the midfield at present. JC is the player that the Charlton midfield has missed for some years.

Parker was 23 when he left. Cousins is only 19, so has plenty of time to establish himself here before thinking of any moves
  • The worry could be that if he is picked for the under 21s he may find out what sort of salary other players are on.

Money has often turned a young players head, i.e. Bostock, lets hope Jordan is as level headed as he sounds.
  • iaitch said:

The worry could be that if he is picked for the under 21s he may find out what sort of salary other players are on.

Money has often turned a young players head, i.e. Bostock, lets hope Jordan is as level headed as he sounds.

I suspect his agent would already know, the danger of being in the U21's is that he will be tapped up by fellow players.
  • iaitch said:

In terms of medals and caps what have been Parker's achievements?

PFA young player of the year, player of the year and England Captain's armband to name a few.
  • To suggest that Scott Parker has had anything other than a brilliant career is just WRONG!
  • Can Sheikh Reg bring the camels to VFR before the current owners sell JC on??
  • Sponsored links:

• What a decent chap. And used to watch us. Terrace hero in the making.
  • I never like comparing players, esp when they played in different era's & with different players. However, Bowyer broke through when he was only 17 and had played almost 50 games before he left us, at age 19. Parker only played a handful of games before he was 19 but played over 100 game for us in the Premiership, which is something neither of the other 2 did (or will do in the case of Cousins) - so its very hard to compare & judge them against each other,

I will say that at 17 Bowyer was an excellent player and was more of an attacking midfielder than the other 2, although in his prime with us, Parker was the more overall better player.

• Parker was 23 when he left. Cousins is only 19, so has plenty of time to establish himself here before thinking of any moves

Parker left too soon, but he did leave for a good fee and good wages. If he had left it 6 months later he could have been a regular England player and had an even better move.

If JC stays a while he could do really well as playing for your club means that you are considered for your country and more clubs will then become interested. You are likely to get a bigger fee and higher wages . You will also be playing football. You may even enjoy yourself!

As Fletch would say - 'bide your time'. It will be up to him and his parents to keep their nerves. Nice lad - I hope he stays a while both for CAFC and him.

Whatever he does - respect.
  • I gave him his MoM award after Forest game. After such an imposing performance on the pitch, it was a bit of a shock to see he is a very unassuming and very young man. I told him he reminded me of Richard Rufus with so much composure at a young age, but I am not sure he even knew whom I was talking about - he is that young!

Delighted to read he grew up an Addick and long may he feature in OUR first team.
  • DMCDMC
    edited October 2013
    always worry when there is too much interest from the press - chelsea and arsenal hands off at least until we have developed him properly
  • Lovely when one of the big bosses came back this afternoon with the page folded over showing me Jordan's article.

How did he get such a big article? We need to hide him away.
  • Just read it on the way into town. It's strange, a Chelsea or Arsenal dont need him, they'd only buy to prevent opposition purchasing. However, the opposition would probably only end up wasting him anyway.

So many potential talents disappear over here, and clubs like us are forced to sell for a relative pittance because of finances. I really hope Jordan sticks with us for as long as possible, otherwise pretty much everyone loses.
  • Excellent post vff...re weakening a competitor.I know Palace are not 4th ,thank God,how weak they are without Zaha.To be fair to Parker he always gave 100% .
  • When SP left us he was world class. He should have won more in his career no doubt about it.

For me Cousins is a better footballer. Parker had heart, strength etc but for touch, vision etc I think Cousins is the better. He really could be special
  • Parker & Rufus streets ahead of any one else that has come through our youth team since i have been watching. Bowyer next then probably quite a gap. Too early to call for Cousins but he looks good so far.