Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Birmingham vs Charlton | Sat 2nd Nov 2013 | Match Preview, Teams, Predictions, News & Views

Introduction

Saturday August 18th 2012. The first game of the 2012/13 Championship season, Charlton travelled to St. Andrew’s to face Birmingham. There wasn’t too much expectation of a result but Chris Powell’s men put in an excellent performance and if it wasn't for a 94th minute equaliser from Nikola Zigic then Addicks would have taken all three points back to the Valley.

Like last season, both Birmingham and Charlton have started the season poorly and find themselves just hovering above the relegation zone. However, Charlton have just started to play with some style and confidence that helped them finish October undefeated albeit with only one victory.

Out of the 58 competitive matches, Charlton have won 21, 19 have been drawn and Birmingham have won 18. (Figures from 11v11.com )

The Opposition

Life under Lee Clark has been fairly inconsistent for Birmingham with the Blues finishing the 2012/13 season in a respectable 12th place but starting this season poorly with only three league wins so far this campaign.

The best thing about Birmingham’s season so far has been their decent Capital One Cup run, which saw them get through to the 4th round, only to be beaten on penalties by Premier League side Stoke in midweek.

Birmingham do have some impressive talent within their squad including Manchester United loanee Jesse Lingard who has already scored five goals since arriving in September. However, Lingard is a doubt for Saturday’s match after missing Birmingham’s last two fixtures.

Chris Burke is another doubt for Birmingham after a hamstring problem whilst Wade Elliott is suspended due to a red card received against Stoke last Tuesday.

Player to Watch

The player to watch this weekend is Birmingham’s Nikola Zigic. Zigic has had a peculiar spell at Birmingham since his £6m move from Valencia in 2010, which has seen him win the Carling Cup in 2011 where he scored the opening goal and also experiencing relegation in the same season. Zigic's 6ft 7in physique makes him a real nuisance in the box and a danger from set-pieces. If Zigic does start, then Charlton's back-four will definitely be keeping an eye on the Serbian international.

The Line –Up

The main problem for Charlton and Chris Powell this season has been his side’s lack of goals. Hopefully Yann Kermorgant’s injury that he picked up against Wigan last weekend won’t be too bad and the Frenchman will be available for the trip to Birmingham.

If Kermorgant is out, then on-loan Bolton striker Marvin Sordell is likely to take his place although the England under-21 international will be looking to add more goals to his tally after only scoring twice this season.

Impressive displays by Dale Stephens and youngster Jordan Cousins in recent weeks has seen skipper Johnnie Jackson having to be patient to return to the starting eleven and I wouldn’t be surprised to see Jackson remain on the bench this weekend.

Richard Wood is another doubt after going off injured against Wigan last weekend, but if Wood is out then he’ll probably be replaced by Dorian Dervite.

The Prediction

The outcome will no doubt be a tight one, but I can see the Addicks grabbing an important three points. 1-0 Charlton.

Comments

• We win 0-1. Wilson header.
  • Comfortable away win 4-0.
  • If we play as well as we did on Sunday, it has to be an away win for Wigan are a much better team than Birmingham.

On the other hand, with Charlton it's often one step forward, two steps backwards and encouraging performances like Sunday's are all too often followed by a horror show!
  • Conceding a goal at last - a 1-1 draw
  • with Charlton it's often one step forward, two steps backwards and encouraging performances like Sunday's are all too often followed by a horror show!

Spoken like a true Addick.

1-0 to Brum
  • 0-2 to CP's Red & White Army
  • The other major issue re Zigic is that he is (allegedly) on £60k a week and with the owner Carson Yeung in clink on charges including money laundering, Brum have now run out of cash and will be forced into Admin unless a new investor can be found in double quick time.

But of course Mr Clark is on long, long unbeaten run if the last 23 defeats are not taken into account ;-))
  • If we play as well as we did on Sunday, it has to be an away win for Wigan are a much better team than Birmingham.

On the other hand, with Charlton it's often one step forward, two steps backwards and encouraging performances like Sunday's are all too often followed by a horror show!

You forget that Sunday was following up a fantastic performance at Blackburn.

I think the way we played at Ewood has to be the template, although perhaps we drop Sordell and include JJ in behind.

Anyone think there's a chance Green* could return for Pritchard with either JJ coming in for Stewart or just playing with two wingers ?

*I'm not saying I'd do this personally, it's just that Powell now has attacking options and I winder if he's tempted to exercise them.
  • Some goals from past encounters with Birmingham:

Cort's on the opening day of last season -> http://plentyofshots.wordpress.com/2013/05/05/leon-cort-goal-vs-birmingham/

Andy Gray(!) -> http://plentyofshots.wordpress.com/2013/10/30/andy-gray-goal-vs-birmingham/

Brendan O'Connell(?) -> http://plentyofshots.wordpress.com/2013/10/30/brendan-oconnell-goal-vs-birmingham-city/

Could really do with three points on Saturday, hope we can get them.
  • I think we'll win this one 1-0. Regarding Green, I just don't think he's CP's type of player. I think Chris likes players who can also put in a decent shift defending if need be and I just don't think Danny does that. That, I believe, is why Danny Green doesn't get in the team. Conversely, CP likes Pritchard because he runs his balls off and helps out at the back. Not much flair but, in Chris' eyes he does the job.
  • Sponsored links:

• I think we can nick this..1-0 Addicks...............match thread from 2 pm
  • Brum played 120 mins, most with ten men, on Tuesday so lets hope they fade late on.

Pritchard winner in the 91st minute
  • Birmingham have been just awful of late and we are getting better and better and key players are returning. I think we'll knick this but we do need to create more and improve our finishing. Randolph in goal is the man to beat.
  • 3-1 charlton current odds at 28/1 worth a few quid.
  • Away win here also, 1-2 seems a likely score, just please not 0-0
  • Away win here also, 1-2 seems a likely score, just please not 0-0

I'd happily take a 0-0 any points we can get are useful

• I feel another away win on the cards as well. 1-2. Out of interest does anyone know if Yann's recovered from Sunday?
  • A point would be good. Anything better than that would be wonderful!
  • Jackson back in for Cousins, tight 1 - 0 win
  • Charlton Athletic FC ‏@CAFCofficial
    CP, on #BCFC: Lee Clark will think they didn't lose on Tuesday, but Jose Mourinho thinks we didn't beat Chelsea years ago! #Pressday #cafc
  • Sponsored links:

• Can't see us scoring again this season.

0-0
  • FAR too much optimism again, lads & lasses !

You know what this invariably means .....!
  • Maybe we'll try a 4-4-1-1 formation, with one up front (either Church or Sordell) and Jackson behind him? JJ has the ability to get into the box at the right time that we've been missing.
  • CP to give Wood and Kerms until last minute to be fit for the game according to twitter
  • edited October 2013
    http://www.cafc.co.uk/news/article/20131031-away-fans-guide-birmingham-city-1145957.aspx

Read a guide for supporters making the trip to St Andrews on Saturday
    Ian Cartwright reports

So off we go again to visit another Championship side whose name begins with B, this time in the form of Birmingham City. Let's hope the result is the same as our previous foray on the road, even if means knuckles being chewed for more than 80 minutes!

Tickets are priced at £25 adults, £15 seniors and students, £10 U19s (I promise not to moan this season) and £5 U13s. If an adult, concession and U13 enter together, the U13 goes free.

We have been allocated 3,000 seats in what used to be the Railway End of the ground, although it is unlikely all of these will be available, experience tells me that we will be situated to the right of the goal as you look at the pitch.

Now named the Gil Merrick stand after the Blues' legendary goalkeeper, the stand is quite steep, primarily due to a lack of space - well a railway line - behind it. There is a small overhanging tier above us for home fans, but I have never encountered any grief from this being there to date.

The view is fine, unimpeded, but the stand is a little open to the elements the further forward you go and the legroom is not brilliant. The entrance from the concourse is about a quarter of the way up the stand so there is a small staircase to negotiate but nothing too bad.

To get to our turnstiles it is necessary to walk across the away car park which is segregated, however the home fans do walk in the same direction along a walkway which is fenced off, but the two sets of fans are in close proximity and it has been known for banter to be engaged in.

Once in the ground, you land immediately on the concourse which is classic new-build - breeze block, a bit dark, TVs, bookies, food and a reasonable selection of alcoholic beverages. There is also a McDonalds close by.

Which is quite handy as although things have calmed down manifestly over the years in and around St Andrews, the pubs in the immediate vicinity can be quite partisan. I've found it OK by keeping my head down but they do get a bit noisy.

The Irish Quarter on the way from New Street is not too bad and whilst the city centre is a bit sparse on the pub side - you are more likely to encounter irate shoppers - there a few around that are OK. The Sun Lounge round the corner from New Street was fine last season.

Birmingham New Street station is a fair old trot to the ground, a good 20 minutes at least. It is basically a case of crossing the Bull Ring roundabout and keep walking towards Small Heath, or catching a cab. There is a local station relatively close to the ground, named Bordesley, which is served from Birmingham Moor Street but these are quite infrequent.

If you are driving, the Post Code is B9 4RL. By whichever means to get there you choose to get there, leave the M6 at Junction 6 and take the A38(M) (known locally as the Aston Expressway) for Birmingham City Centre. Continue past the first turn off (Aston, Waterlinks) and then take the next turn off, for the Inner Ring Road.

Turn left at the island at the top of the slip road and take the Ring Road East, sign posted Coventry/Stratford. Continue along the ring road for two miles, crossing straight across three islands. At the fourth island (there is a large McDonalds on the far left hand corner) turn left into Coventry Road going towards Small Heath. Birmingham City's ground is about a quarter of a mile up this road on your left.

The ground is well signposted on the Inner Ring Road. As I mentioned, there is a car park at the ground for away fans, albeit quite small and first come, first served. Some local firms do offer parking but do not park in McDonalds, as they will get the clamps out. Street parking is available but, despite things being infinitely better, I would be inclined to hide any colours.

Read more at http://www.cafc.co.uk/news/article/20131031-away-fans-guide-birmingham-city-1145957.aspx#5Q8qsMHutPeXhR5b.99

• *I'm not saying I'd do this personally, it's just that Powell now has attacking options and I winder if he's tempted to exercise them.

I've just seen a pig flying over my office !
  • Regarding Green, I just don't think he's CP's type of player.

You are right, he CAN put a good cross over !
  • 0-0 with a Charlton penalty saved late in the game
  • edited October 2013
    No changing the team please Chrissy - away from home it is pretty much where it needs to be. We need to find that little bit of creativilty, clinical play at home but away - it is about frustrating the opposition - and a team like Birmingham will open up.
  • se9addick said:

If we play as well as we did on Sunday, it has to be an away win for Wigan are a much better team than Birmingham.

You forget that Sunday was following up a fantastic performance at Blackburn.

I think the way we played at Ewood has to be the template, although perhaps we drop Sordell and include JJ in behind.

Anyone think there's a chance Green* could return for Pritchard with either JJ coming in for Stewart or just playing with two wingers ?

*I'm not saying I'd do this personally, it's just that Powell now has attacking options and I winder if he's tempted to exercise them.
    This is CP 'son of Curbs' who you are talking about. Cautious formations and player selections unless his back is against the proverbial wall and like his role model two out and out wingers were rarely part of the equation - see Thomas and Kish not Thomas and Rom.

Jacko needs to be fitted back into the team for his extra fire power but heaven hopes that Dale and Jordan are not dropped to make room. The skippers loss of the half yard he never had preclufes him from a wide berth so I see him as a 2nd striker alongside The Vicar or Marvellous.