Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Snooker updates

No posts about snooker so thought I would start one lol

Mark Allen beat Judd Trump 4-1 in the final of Kay Suzanne Memorial Cup in Gloucester(ET6) good preparation for him for next week as Tuesday 19th November the Champion of Champions event is held for the first time since 1980 and will be at the Ricoh Arena in Coventry

I hope there are other snooker fans out there to interact with me

Comments

• I wouldn't bet on it.
  • I wouldn't bet on it.

Are you implying it's fixed? ;-)
  • I think they are implying there are no other snooker fans on here
  • I play league snooker but I hate watching it. Especially the current snooker scene . We should just hand it all over to China and not delay the inevitable .
  • edited November 2013
    one of my only real talents was abit of snooker and pool. won a few junior comps but just decided to drink and chase girls then spend 6hrs a day down the club, my old haunts were Lewisham above the old burtons,charlton cons club, Woolwich and eltham and of course the fabled commons where I would go when on the wag. must be nearly 8 years now since I had a game.

• Just to Update again as I said i am sure there will be no comments from other people but just in case there are a few people who like snooker just dont follow it like I do I will put regular updates on here

ET7 in Antwerp started on Thursday the top players entered on Friday and despite losing 4-3 to Mark Selby, Judd Trump got his first professional 147 and the 99th in snooker history
  • Wonder if you can bet on who gets the 100th.
  • Wonder if you can bet on who gets the 100th.

I would not want to bet on that lol Snooker is growing and players are getting better was only last year when 3 different players got 147 in consecutive tournaments I would however say i think it will be done before end of 2013
  • We should just hand it all over to China and not delay the inevitable .

As a (casual) snooker fan,I'd be well pleased,lol.I was born in Wuxi,the same city as Ding Junhui so I became interested in snooker in 2005 when he beat Stephen Hendry to win the China Open.I watch games on TV whenever I have time.There's a tour event held in my city and I've been to a few games in recent years - the venue is only ten minutes' walk from my home.

I'm a little surprised that there're only one or two snooker fans on a big forum like this.No wonder they say it's a dying sport in the UK...
  • I remember when it was at its peak in the mid 80s - can still reel off what were household names then - Alex Higgins, Terry Griffiths, Doug Mountjoy, Eddie Charlton, Ray Reardon, Kirk Stephens, Dennis Taylor, Cliff Thorburn, Bill Werbiniuk, Steve Davis. Of course there was the action from the crucible, complete with copious drinking & smoking - and Pot Black. Think it says more for the dearth of TV alternatives in the 80s - snooker must have been cheap to cover & some of the payers were quite charismatic
  • Sponsored links:

• Alex Higgins and Steve Davis are the only players that I've heard of among those.If it was not for Ding Junhui,I don't think snooker would have been popular here.I kind of understand why people generally aren't interested.I used to really hate it when I was a kid because there were many occasions where a snooker game was on TV and I had to wait for an extremely long time to watch a football game/programme which was scheduled after that.Back then I'd rather even watch bowling or darts than snooker.It's the kind of sport that only appeals to people who know the rules and have the patience to sit through a game and unfortunately nowadays not many people do.
  • Just another update to put on here

Mark Selby has just beat Ronnie O'Sullivan 4-3 in the final of ET7 in Antwerp

1 day of tomorrow then Champions of Champions starts in Coventry on Tuesday
  • I just worry how much fixing goes on to take it seriously any more
  • Update- The greatest player from when I watched snooker is on ITV right now.
  • Lost interest when colour tv's replaced B&W.
  • Just another update to put on here

Mark Selby has just beat Ronnie O'Sullivan 4-3 in the final of ET7 in Antwerp

1 day of tomorrow then Champions of Champions starts in Coventry on Tuesday

What's the story with Ronnie because didn't he have the whole year/season off then win the World Championship at the Crucible , I thought he was threatening to do that again but the authorities weren't too happy with him turning up whenever , has he got to make x amount of appearances ?
  • Used to love watching and playing snooker through my teens and into my early 20s but lost interest.
    Was fortunate to be at both sessions of the 1997 B&H Masters Final when Steve Davis beat Ronnie O'Sullivan 10-8, the final famous for the streaker, still one of the funniest things I've seen.

I think the one thing for me with losing interest was the personalities. I was brought up watching the likes of Jimmy White and Alex Higgins, then all of a sudden, them personalities were replaced with boring dross like Peter Ebdon.

The only two players that had any character in that next era was Ronnie and the late, tragic Paul Hunter. Paul was going to be the next big thing until cancer sadly took him far too early from us.

I can pin-point exactly where my interest started to drop off. Jimmy White has that absolute golden spell for about two or three years where he peaked at exactly the right time for the worlds, held it all together through the 2 weeks at the crucible playing spell-bounding snooker then he lost it in the final. Still fill sick for him that he never won the World Championship.

The current crop just dont cut the mustard.

Dont think I've picked up my cue for about 10-12 years now.
  • edited November 2013

What's the story with Ronnie because didn't he have the whole year/season off then win the World Championship at the Crucible , I thought he was threatening to do that again but the authorities weren't too happy with him turning up whenever , has he got to make x amount of appearances ?

Yeah at the start of the season Jason Ferguson the chairman of the WPBSA and Ronnie agreed that he would definitely miss the events in China but he would try to make most other tournaments, but he did go to Chengdu for the international championship at the end of october
  • Thanks paulie8290
  • Used to love watching the snooker and played a fair bit down at Frames in Downham when Eddie and Dee were behind the pumps back in the day. I think it's long gone now?

Also used to love going round my nan's and watching a bit of snooker with her, followed by the most amazing roast dinner ever. She loved Steve Davis.

From a television point of view I think darts has massively taken over the mantle.

Hearn isn't silly.
  • Sponsored links:

• Champion of Champions semi finals today on ITV 4 anyone not going QPR who is interested:

Mark Selby v Stuart Bingham
    Neil Robertson v Ronnie O'Sullivan
  • Mark Selby has just got the 100th 147 in Snooker history very tough black to complete it as well
  • Mark Selby has just got the 100th 147 in Snooker history very tough black to complete it as well

unbeliveable pot into the middle pocket. Thought he'd blown it after that shot on the pink. NLA's cajones to finish that one off!

unbeliveable pot into the middle pocket. Thought he'd blown it after that shot on the pink. NLA's cajones to finish that one off!

Not sure if you are aware, But in the China Open he got 140 and missed the black, So IMO that made the black even better. But the pink itself was a hard enough shot so much cue between his tip and his bridge.

Not sure if you are aware, But in the China Open he got 140 and missed the black, So IMO that made the black even better. But the pink itself was a hard enough shot so much cue between his tip and his bridge.
    wow, didn't realise that, very special. Yes the pink was a great shot aswell, he's a brave man for not using a rest there.

wow, didn't realise that, very special. Yes the pink was a great shot aswell, he's a brave man for not using a rest there.
    Saw his interview after he said he did not fell comfortable using the rest, Then said mind you I did not feel comfortable without it as well.

He also mentioned having a laugh with the audience before the pink and said he thinks it calmed him down a bit.
  • Selby has to be the best player in the world at the moment. A great 147
  • Selby has to be the best player in the world at the moment. A great 147

I am Selbys biggest fan ask anyone in my family(or my twitter bio) but I have to disagree its is very hard to pick between him Robertson and Ding
  • Neil Robertson has just won the 2013 William Hill UK Championship
    In doing so he has become only the 8th person to complete the Triple Crown(UK Championship, The Masters and World Championship)
    Although personally I don't think its really a triple crown unless its done in the same season which only 3 players of achieved(Steve Davis,Stephen Hendry and Mark Williams)
  • edited December 2013
    I'm rubbish at snooker , better at pool i think , but i always seem to miss the start of the World Champs , and by the time i do suss it out its started its half way through it!

When does it start up , is it still in Sheffield , and who are the favourites?