Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Training Ground Help: Is there a bricklayer in the house ?

You've heard rumours of a Takeover.....now there's DEFINITE news of the Makeover !

Yes, at last, the long awaited revamp of the Pierre Bolangi Memorial Garden at the Training Ground is underway ! And needs the help of a certain, very special Lifer...

This morning, myself and Mr "DIY" F spent a couple of hours in intense & exciting discussion with Paul & Rob at SL resulting in a cunning plan to create a very special place in memory of our late young player. The project will be led by Rob who produced a great design for us to build on and the next step is for us to meet with our contact at Ruxley Manor Garden Centre for advice re hedging and planting plus, we believe, a donation towards the items we require. It is planned to hold said meeting next week as we are very keen to get this up & running before Christmas. And the vouchers for BOGOF brekkies at the restaurant there will soon expire.....

Now for the request.

Rob's design incorporates a wall - not a huge one but one to stand directly behind, & hence place the focus on, the bust of Pierre. The idea is to possibly have a target painted on the back of the wall( facing outwards towards the pitches) for youngsters training there/watching others play to make use of as it's believed that this is something Pierre would have appreciated. It's clear that the footings ( think that's the correct word !) will need to be deep and the structure built with expertise....that's where a special Lifer leaps off the bench and enters the "game".

What we need is the advice and possibly, hands on assistance of a skilled bricklayer please. For the advice, a visit to SL to meet Rob & Paul would be required ie a one off visit, cup of tea, chat and site inspection resulting in the required advice leading to ordering of supplies and subsequent build. However, following said advice, a decision could be reached whereby assistance is required to actually build the wall or at the very least, project manage this...a wall of apprx 4m in length and 6m in height. That's it.

Could I please request that anyone interested in offering their services, message me using the relevant "Message Box " ( ask Curb_it if you have any probs with this - it's one of her many areas of expertise!) giving a very brief description of your skill set /experience and we'll go from there. I should be grateful if you would keep an eye on updates on this thread as a halt will need to be called on volunteers once we have our man/woman, thanks. As I said, we are looking to get this underway this side of Christmas....

Many thanks in advance - this is a project very close to the gaffer's heart as he was Pierre's mentor whilst he was at our Club. Let's make it a great success and a fitting tribute to this special young man.

Comments

• Fanny I have in boxed you numbers of a couple of Charlton fans, father and son, good chaps and good builders.
  • But Steve I think this is a job for love not money so I don't think Fanny can ring and ask them. They need someone who will volunteer. That's how I read it.

Anyway lovely work Fanny. I'll keep my eye on the activity wall in case there are any eejits that don't know how to inbox...
  • Fanny I have in boxed you numbers of a couple of Charlton fans, father and son, good chaps and good builders.

Thanks, nss. Will message you back

• Curb_It said:

But Steve I think this is a job for love not money so I don't think Fanny can ring and ask them. They need someone who will volunteer. That's how I read it.

Anyway lovely work Fanny. I'll keep my eye on the activity wall in case there are any eejits that don't know how to inbox...

Thanks, Curb_it. Will talk to nss & see what he says.

I knew you were the girl for a bit of Activity !

• Sorry didn't read it properly, didn't realise you were looking for a freebie.
  • Sorry didn't read it properly, didn't realise you were looking for a freebie.

No probs, Steve.

Thanks for the thought.

And thanks, Admin for making this an Announcement.

• Great work.....6 metres high though...sounds huge.
  • TEL said:

Great work.....6 metres high though...sounds huge.

Err, yes, TEL, ...well spotted .

Was just about to come on here to correct that....confused my feet with metres .DOH !!

Should read " 2 metres high" !

Mea culpa big time !

• But size is not important apparently!
  • delroofer said:

But size is not important apparently!

Del !!!!!

A 6m wall would block the light from the gaffer's office window !

Wouldn't be able to read his new contract ......

• Sponsored links:

• Bump.

What happened to the "Announcement" status ????
  • Bumping in hope.....
  • I can dig the foundations fanny if it helps but laying bricks is a no no i am afraid
  • I can dig the foundations fanny if it helps but laying bricks is a no no i am afraid

Bless you, nla ! And thanks as always for your support & enthusiasm.

Unfortunately, we have the manpower to do the digging part but need some expert advice on how deep to dig for footings , how many bricks' width the wall should be to make it fir for purposes of kicking footballs at the back of it, and the actual bricklaying. Need to ensure this is done to a very high standard for both visual & H & S reasons so a skilled brickie is what we are seeking.

There must be someone out there who's willing to donate a few hours of their time to such a good cause !

• Oi you builders Help fanny out
  • What about a whip round to pay a "Brickie" and we all muck in on the shovel ?
    I'll chuck in a nifty.
  • Don't forget I was a brickies labourer when living in Oz so do have some experience on the hod!
  • So we have a labourer (me + others) a hod carrier ( Curb_it) we are still looking for a Brickie........
  • I am very surprised at the lack of response to Fanny's appeal!
    If we get a brickie I am sure we can cover the materials cost between us.
  • What's a Brickie earn these day £150/£250 a day?
    How big is the wall going to be?
  • Sponsored links:

• Is there a local college/school who could be approached?
    There are construction courses often looking for a real world jobs to do.
    It would be supervised so a good job would result.
    Just a thought
  • Is there a local college/school who could be approached?
    There are construction courses often looking for a real world jobs to do.
    It would be supervised so a good job would result.
    Just a thought

Thanks, guys and gals.

Wall is designed to be 2m high by 4m in length.

A-R-T-H-U-R ...good shout. Will talk to the guys at SL about this suggestion, thanks.

Covering costs of materials would be a bonus of course..."The Lifers Wall" - sounds good !

• The skipper just retweeted the request.
  • T.C.E said:

The skipper just retweeted the request.

JJ ???

• go on i will chuck in some money to cover costs also
  • T.C.E said:

JJ ???

Yep.... There must be lots of people following him, so hopefully one of is a Brickie. ;)

• T.C.E said:

T.C.E said:

JJ ???

Yep.... There must be lots of people following him, so hopefully one of is a Brickie. ;)

Blimers !!! Top man indeed !

Will have to force myself to give him a big kiss if he comes up trumps !

• Me too.

But you've not paid up for your shirt sponsorship?
  • If we don't manage to get a volunteer, then I was thinking about asking Henry if he would auction JJ's signed shirt I won on here to raise funds for the job.